Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2007
Sailed it!

tcase10 is on a distinguished road
Sailing once a week in the Caribbean.....Nice.

I was not aware that the BC31 had a full keel version. The one I am looking at has the shoal, 3'5" keel, with 3,900 lbs of ballast. I do not think that will affect stability, but sailing performance will probably be affected.

As far as racing, I have found a few others that race, but that is not my purpose. I have a smaller Catalina 22 if I want to race. Although on a windy day the PHRF of 234-237 could work in your favor.

As for the diesel, that is a different story. I was told it is an 18 HP of unkown origin. I looked at the motor and could not make out the name on the ID plate. It says it was manufactured in The Peoples Republic of China. I have a photograph of the ID plate. I will have to downsize it and upload it here. It appears to read Shuangniao Diesel Engine. There is some other information that is very hard to read. I am trying to find additional info about the engine.

How many HP is your engine?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2007
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
I do not know how many HP my engine has. It is a 2 cylinder raw water cooled Yanmar and myself and others have been unsuccessful in finding any tags or markings on it anywhere. In calm conditions it has no problem pushing the boat at 5.5 knots at little more than 1/2 throttle.

There is one shoal draft BC31 that I have seen on a mooring here. Never seen it move but would love to sail on it to see what differences there may be in how it sails as compared to the deeper draft of mine.

What comments has the owner of the boat you wish to buy made regarding how it sails/performs in your local conditions?
Old 12-22-2007
Sailed it!

The current owner said he has only sailed a few times. I get the impression he may have bought it for a live aboard because he lives a state away and said he was working in the area for about a year.

What year is you boat? Have you performed any major upgrades?
Old 12-22-2007
Freedom 39

TC10, my boat is a 1978. It was sailed down from Florida and used for day trips for many years out of St John. After that it was used as a liveaboard for 10 years or so on St Thoma and then it was used mainly for racing. Engine was rebuilt one year before I purchased it and new Quantom sails were put on in early 2005 along with a new sailcover and cockpit cushions.

Most significant upgrades I've completed would be:
Having the topsides painted with Awlgrip (by others)
New fresh water tank with new hoses and new pump
Replacement of large amperage wires and the addition of a house battery with a small solar panel.
Replaced most of the running rigging

Nothing really major but dozens of small projects like adding fans, depth sounder and chart plotter.

Other than the paint I doubt any of those things would count as major upgrades.

Does the boat you are looking at appear to need any major work?
Old 12-26-2007
Sailed it!

Merry Christmas, FarCry, I've been out for a few days.

The boat I am looking at is a 1978, too. It appears to need cosmetic upgrading. My biggest concern is the engine. I do not have any experience with a diesel. Do you know if most diesel's are the same. Will a mechanic be able to work on a diesel that he may have never seen the same way as working on a common yanmar or universal? I am sure that the electrical will need upgrading. The boat has a fridge and A/C. The A/C appears to be recently installed and is sitting under the sink. It likely needs some work. There is a hose leading off of it, which I assume is for the drain. It must not be plumbed to a thru hull and it appears that when some one is on board the hose is led to the bilge. If I make an offer, it will be conditioned on a survey. One other thing is that the topsides appear to have been painted with a common household paint and there is some chipping aroung he ports. Do you have any photos of your boat?
Old 12-28-2007
Freedom 39

I would suggest you start a new thread under the appropriate heading and see if others could comment on your concerns regarding a less common diesel engine.

I do have photos of my boat, most were taken at a distance while underway and do not show any close detail shots. Have you looked at yachtworld.com to see the condition of other BC31's that are for sale?

Perhaps you could start a new thread and see if another member from Sailnet would be willing to look at the boat with you. Two heads can be better than one and they may be able to recognize the paint or other potential areas of concern.

The engine would be a big concern to me. Can you check around your area and see if there are mechanics that are familiar with it? How are the sails? How are the chainplates, have they been replaced? Can you post some pictures of the boat you are looking at?
Old 01-03-2008
Sailed it!

Happy New Year!

I have reviewed photographs and other Bombay Clipper 31 at yachtworld.com. Most appear to be in good condition. I haven't fully decided to purchase a new boat. However, it is a good idea to have someone help me take a look at it. I am also considering a survey if I do decide to buy.

The current owner does not live in the same state where the boat is located and therefore I've only had a short time to inspect the interior. I have not had the opportunity to look sales, rigging or chainplates.

I do have some photographs, which I will attempt to post here. However I believe they are too large. I have a number of photographs, if you like I can PM them to you. I was also able to find an old ad on a webpage where the boat was originally listed approximately 3 to four years ago, which has some photographs. Here is the link http: //www (dot) baymarine (dot) c o m/31bombay_cbreeze.html. The boat is basically the same as in the ad photographs. However, it appears to need a good cleaning.
Old 01-04-2008
Freedom 39

TC10

PM sent.
Old 01-13-2008
Sailed it!

Does the Bombay Clipper have a fully encapsulated keel or is it hung on bolts?
Old 09-08-2009

jonneely is on a distinguished road
FarCry,
we are looking into getting one of these boats, from your avatar it looks like you have a great copy of one, could you maybe send me or direct me in the right direction to see more pics of you boat? Also with the right modifications do you think this would be a capable bluewater boat if needs be?

Thanks for any help,

Jon