Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2007

codmander is an unknown quantity at this point
Boats are cheap buyers market

no doubt I've been seeing some pretty nice boats for very little cash latly than again I live on cape cod but they do seem to be everywhere latest find was a pearson 30 full keel wintered indoors looked t like a real creampuff for 12kish good grief one of these days I'll be able to say I'll give ya 10 o well it'll happen soon enough
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
tis the season...
Old 12-15-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
very true, thousands upon thousands of unsold boats out there! look for "must sell, moving, or got another boat" ads. offer them a low low price way below what they are asking. Don't fall in love with a boat you will pay more for love! (applies to romance too!)

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-16-2007

garymcg is on a distinguished road
Not quite yet

There are actually fewer boats for sales on yachtworld right now than there were this time last year. Well there are 161 fewer sailboats between 35 and 45 feet for sale in the U.S. anyway.

There are a number of possible explanations for this, but the fact is that if it were a buyer's market inventories would rise before prices began to drop. Inventories have not risen since last year (and yes I have been keeping track). I think the most likely reason is the weak dollar is making U.S. boats very attractively priced to Canadian and European buyers.

Now if the dollar rises, and the U.S. housing market stays in a slump and Americans can't resume the equity extraction party that was propping up the economy for a number of years, THEN we'll really see a buyer's market.
Old 12-16-2007
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
Ran into a friend of mine who proudly exclaimed he just bought a boat. He's been sailing a San Juan 23 around here for the past 4-5 years, and he's been wanting a bigger, cruising oriented boat. He couldn't spend much money, so he's been looking for "a deal". Anyway, long story short, he just bought a Mariner 32 for $1,500. That's right, fifteen hundred bucks! OK, so it's been on the hard for 15 years in Salt Lake City and it will need a ton of work, but still... That's one of the best deals I've heard of in a long time. They're out there, those screaming, sounds-too-good-to-be-true deals. Just gotta be patient and look under lot's o' rocks (docks?).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Old 12-16-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it.
That's the best.

Please support my
Old 12-17-2007

free 24 ft one on craigslist the poor guy cant give it away and it looks pretty stout for free
Old 12-17-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
Ran into a friend of mine who proudly exclaimed he just bought a boat. He's been sailing a San Juan 23 around here for the past 4-5 years, and he's been wanting a bigger, cruising oriented boat. He couldn't spend much money, so he's been looking for "a deal". Anyway, long story short, he just bought a Mariner 32 for $1,500. That's right, fifteen hundred bucks! OK, so it's been on the hard for 15 years in Salt Lake City and it will need a ton of work, but still... That's one of the best deals I've heard of in a long time. They're out there, those screaming, sounds-too-good-to-be-true deals. Just gotta be patient and look under lot's o' rocks (docks?).
hmm one of those well why buy insurance lol cost more than the boat
Old 12-17-2007

pigslo is on a distinguished road
Buy insurance because the marina requires it.
pigslo
Old 12-17-2007

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
A couple quick thoughts, 1960's and 1970's era Pearson 30's have been selling for well under $15K with many Pearson Coasters, and Wanderers under 10K for a long time so I don't think that sounds like a bargain.

The Asian built Mariner 32's can easily have negative values since they were so poorly built and were such a poor design to begin with that restoring one can cost way more than they will ever be worth. If you go back into the achives roughly 6-8 years ago (during a seller's market) there is a discussion of folks trying unsuccessfully to give them away. Given the boat's location in Salt Lake City, and the boats probable condition, $1,500 sounds like your friend was ripped off.

Jeff