Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Mom and Dad Bought their boat...

They finally did it. It is final as of today - they are the outright owners of a Tayana 42. HEY!!!

I think many of the people here know we have been shopping for quite a while. I have even talked to many of you on the phone. We considered quite a few boats, but in the end, we found the T-42 as the best boat for a number of reasons:

1) Seperate shower.
2) Comfortble head.
3) Lots of storage.
4) Very comfortable, roomy interior.
5) Easy Lazarette access.
6) Comfortable cockpit (considering what it is).

This boat is a 1987 (splashed 1988), 1 owner, fresh water (with the exception of 1 year... where it is now) Tayana Vancouver 42 aft cockpit. It does have teak decks, but they are in very good shape. There is NO sign of ANY water damage on the entire boat. Nothing leaks. The boat is very solid. The survey had some issues we had to resolve, but we worked through them. We also pulled an engine survey which came back very good.

As far as equioment... name it: Water maker (new Spectra, this year), radar, CP, autopilot (though all the electronics are old and will be replaced), generator, ac/heat, SSB (well, almost... much of it has been done with the exception of the Dynaplates for CP). The cushions are relatively new and all the rigging and hardware looks VERY good... suprisingly good in fact.

Since the boat was a greatlakes boat for almost all of its life, it looks to have been used only about half the year. There is very little rust and oxidations. It has two full sets of sails, one of them almost brand new.

For those of you with a wooden mount for your traveller, take a look at what the PO did here: He fabricated a SS traveler mount so rot would no longer be a problem. We found MANY of the boats we looked at with teak mounts were having rot problems. Maybe it is a solution for you?

All in all, it was not the perfect boats. It has drawbacks. One of the biggest ones is that we are not the same boat type (for cruising together... I will leave him behind). But it had so many other positives that we decided we would just deal with it.

Here are a bunch of pics. I did not take them to "show off" the boat... but to remember aspects of it so we could seperate it from other boats we saw. SO you are not seeing it at its best, but it will give you a pretty good feel for it anyways.

Thanks everyone for the help and thoughts. We are another step closer to cruising...

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Beauty, CD Congrats to all

The pics show an interior reminiscent of a friend's Passport 40 in terms of finish... very nice indeed.

This must be an exciting time for you all.
Old 12-17-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Wow! Very nice. Wish your folks "congratulations". They chose well.

Now if only they could choose their relatives...

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 12-17-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-17-2007
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Man, you put in some leg work. Looks like your efforts paid off! It's a lovely boat. & thanks for the pics -- I'll need something similar on my SJ21 to bridge the tiller. That SS traveler arch might be the ticket.
Old 12-17-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Thanks all. Yep, we did a BUNCH of shopping. A lot of it was very frustrating. I cannot tell you how many hurricane boats are out there... and not all the brokers are very forthright with the information.

John, the inside is VERY similar to a P40. If not for the seperate shower, we might have gone that route. The T42 seemed to have a bit more room also. However, I bet the P40 is the better performer.

Anyways... we are shipping her in the next couple of weeks to Lake Texoma where they will get the systems down and finalize the upgrades. They will be 2 slips down from us (where baby sitting is close... but not too close!!!!).

We are REALLY looking forward to it.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 12-17-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
CD,
that's a really nice V42. Needless to say I like it. I love the traveler! I wish I had one like that. I have a laminated traveler mount as well as boom gallows. No rot at all but I did manage to drop the boom on the gallows and break it. It's now glued and thru bolted. Best of luck to them and I'm sure they'll be happy with it although waiting for you to catch up all the time will be frustrating.
Old 12-17-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
CD, congrats to your P&M. Seems like a great find based on what you've wrote. You didn't mention a bbq? I'm sure you can set them up with something.
Old 12-17-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by teshannon View Post
CD,
that's a really nice V42. Needless to say I like it. I love the traveler! I wish I had one like that. I have a laminated traveler mount as well as boom gallows. No rot at all but I did manage to drop the boom on the gallows and break it. It's now glued and thru bolted. Best of luck to them and I'm sure they'll be happy with it although waiting for you to catch up all the time will be frustrating.
Waiting for me to catch up... that was a funny one!!!!!

Yep, I thought I would get a nice response from you. They are great boats and seem to be super live aboard/cruising boats. With the exceptions we have spoken about before in teh T42 thread... it is great.

- CD

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 12-17-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnHand View Post
CD, congrats to your P&M. Seems like a great find based on what you've wrote. You didn't mention a bbq? I'm sure you can set them up with something.
I wanted to get pops a BBQ for a persent (and Christmas both... those things are not cheap), but he said no. He wants to shop it himself. Believe me, dad likes grilling even MORE than me. We will be like a couple of floating restaurants!

- CD

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 12-17-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
It's okay, I guess. Don't really like the color scheme of the pot-holder. And what's it doing over the coffee maker? Shouldn't it be over by the stove?