Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2007

SunnySideUp is on a distinguished road
Offshore Cruiser

Looking for some advise on a good offshore cruiser. size, motor type, manufacturers, sails, rigging and anything that may come to mind when you read this thread. If you have any info that will help please post it.
Thanks.
Old 12-21-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sunny-

That's a pretty vague request. It would help a lot if you gave some more information regarding what you're going to be doing with the boat. Budget for purchasing, number of people who will be cruising on it, approximate LOA, your level of experience, your age, etc.

A boat that might be suitable for a middle-aged couple that is planning to cruise for several years and raise a family in the process is probably different from that of a single person who is looking to retire to the cruising life, and very different from what would be suitable for a family of six.

Garbage in ----> garbage out...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
I have to agree with SailingDog, we could be much more helpful even with just a little more information. But here is a sampling of some fairly recent related threads that might be worth reading. There are many more here on Sailnet, use the search function with terms such as "bluewater" and "offshore".

Dreaming of bluewater...

Alternatives to Bristol Channel Cutter for offshore single-handing?

Coastal v. Bluewater cruiser, your thoughts

Production blue water boats

Who still makes a Bluewater boat?

small and comfortable and bluewater.... can it be done

Bluewater defined?

Bluewater vs coastal cruiser

Offshore cruiser

Alternatives to Bristol Channel Cutter for offshore single-handing?
Old 12-21-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Yup, very vague question. I've posted this before, but the following is my personal list of what I consider to be my favorite, affordable bluewater cruisers (in no particular order):

Westsail 28/32
Cabo Rico Tiburon 36
Pacific Seacraft 20/24/27/31
Southern Cross 31
Island Packet 27/31
Ta Shing Baba 30/35
Hallberg-Rassy Ramsus 35
Valiant 32
Cheoy Lee Luders 36
Allied Princess 36
Allied Seawind 30
True North 34
Willard 8 Ton World Cruiser
Nor Sea 27
Fantasia 35
Union 36
Bayfield 29/32/36
Cape Dory 32/36
Hans Christian 33/34
Fuji 32/35
Shannon 28
Pan Oceanic 36
Tayana 37
Hardin Sea Wolf 40
Hinterhoeller Niagra 35
Dreadnought 32
Vancouver 27
Vineyard Vixen 34
Alajuela 33
Island Trader 37
Com Pac 27

Old 12-21-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
In particular, you really need to define what you mean by offshore. I go offshore frequently, but not by crossing any major bodies of water, which would be bluewater cruising.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 12-21-2007
Spam, Food of the Seagods

Gryzio is on a distinguished road
Wink I never met a boat I not like.

As mentioned, this a hard call to make.

So, I give a little on how I doing and I not rush when I buy. I will know when it what I want and Price. Also, I have certain time frames (Time of year and weather) when I buy as I will move the boat by sea and not truck.

I down to 17 Sailboats in my watch list. This changes +/- as I find others or some are sold. I boat them in my favorites in a folder "Boats to Watch". I rename the link, here just a Example; Pearson 30' $10,000
It then have a record of price when I first find and if it go down. I check my links regular and remove if the boat is sold.

When I first started looking 2 years ago I wanted everything I seen.
I started doing research on the various boats and even read the "boat reviews" here and other places.

Then I narrowed down to the Rigging, did I want a Sloop or Yawl? Did I want a Cruiser or Cruiser/Racer etc.? Full Keel? I even measured inside my house to keep my focus of the space I would have. So, I know from Visual in the house how a 30' compare to a 38'.

I read about engines and Electronics and price stuff. For example; say a boat come with Radar? I can see this may have some bearing on paying a little more money over buying new later. So, basically I do math on what it have compared with what I want and will buy.

By taking time to look and read and see what people say here and there, after 2 years I went from wanting everything to 17 boats.

As far as personal preference everyone have those. But, we also can learn, we will love the boat we own.

So, Set a limit what you will pay, when you will buy. Get your mind on the Sail Plan you want. All these things so you narrow down your search. There no need waisting time looking at a Yawl, when you want a Sloop? Believe me, when you narrow down over time what you feel you want and know what you look for you can look more effectively and cull out the unwanted.

I hope to buy within the next 3 years as I gave myself 5 years to look and focus on what I really want. I see boats all the time that fall into my want list and price range. In two years I have found 2 Boats I really, really wanted and they sold before I could jump, so, I knew I had spotted a great boat! I will see more and in time I be the one that buy before the other guy.

One last word. My friends have supported me very well in this. When I first wanted everything they tell me, that not the Sail Rig you said you wanted or that too short for your minimum length (Some were too long), so wait!

I not sure I helped much and I sure not going to say what I look for and get beat to the punch again! Sorry!

Last edited by Gryzio; 12-21-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-21-2007

SunnySideUp is on a distinguished road
Garbage in ----> garbage out...

Your right SailingDog, Garbage in ----> garbage out...
I'm 40 my wife is 38 we have two kids 7 and 5 after they have been pushed out of the nest we are looking to start cruising. We are looking to start with the bluewater and then move on from there. We have been sailing for a few years. SunnySideUp our current vassal is a 22' Catalina. She has been out of the water for blister repair, which by the way went very will (thanks for the advise there to sailingdog). I have been taking sailing outings and class at the local school here (Windsong Academy) at home. My thoughts on a new vassal are drifting to a Tartan 4600 or 4300. I hope this helps.

Thanks again.
Old 12-21-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Good boats people will recommend here:

The year was 1234, the boat...Valliant; in 1456 The Passport, in 1856 the Cabo Rico; in 1786 the CS, in 1901 the Passport, in 1498 the Nina, or La Pinta, the Santa Maria was crap, all plastic inside....

These boats are very good, the hulls are 12 feet thick, (because back then they didn't know how to glass with a thin brush, or the glue was not so gluey as today), these boats are very solid, more than any boat today, and sailed like a shoe, my wife likes shoes, so it must be good......but very good boats...very classy to say your boat predates the independence of the U.S.A., specially here in Sailnet....

May I recommend a life vest from 1912 from the Carpatia, never used by people of the Titanic.

Also a WWII radio is good, and a 1914 flare also...

The raft, nothing better than a 1974 orage Zodiac...
Old 12-21-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Alex,

If you are aiming at the OP, he is saying a NEW boat, which the above mentioned Tartans are! Altho maybe NOT to your stds......

To the OP, are you talking new, as it appears? THen Tartan does make a nice boat. Not sure I would want a Tartan for off shore work. The few I have been on board, not that this should kill a sale, but for off shore it would for me, is the doors go all teh way to the cockpit floor! As such, a BIG wave from behind would fill the lower area really fast and quick, vs as I have seen recommended, a door way that is at lowest, at the cockpit seat level.

Halberg Rasey, swan, oyster, Tayana altho new a lot more than a Tartan, would be good ones to look at also. X-yacht has some cruising models, probably a bit less $$ wise than the first ones mentioned. I think you can also get one of the long ago designed dinasaur Valients IIRC also.

If you are looking at older used models, the above list would work, if you want boats under 35' or so. Used models of the brands I mentioned, would be good to add for those above 40' in length too.

Marty
Old 12-21-2007

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySideUp View Post
Looking for some advise on a good offshore cruiser. size, motor type, manufacturers, sails, rigging and anything that may come to mind when you read this thread. If you have any info that will help please post it.
Thanks.

I just have one aspect I look for in a boat, plane, car or motorcycle and that is beauty. If I can not see some kind of beauty I know that no mater how capable, fast, safe or what ever I wont use it.
I am sure there are two kind of people that will argue with me.
Ones that are stuck with an ugly boat and those that are trying to sell an ugly boat.