Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2007

sodman12 is on a distinguished road
Oday mariner

I was just given an Oday Mariner. The boat is in good condition but the trailer is not. I am only 20 and in college and I have a love for sailing, so this is a dream come true. It started on our families 30 foot Morgan that I grew up on (which we no longer have) and a sunfish that I used to sail solo, and with my dad as a younger kid than I am now.

I have two options

1)try to replace the trailer (which I have done before on for another boat)

2) buy new trailer

Can someone guess what I am looking at to pay for a new trailer? It doesn't need to be brand new but it of course needs to work.

The boat that has been given to me is in a weird position in that It is located on Bald Head Island, North Carolina. This means that I can save some money my just towing the sailboat over (if i can use the old trailer long enough to get it in the water) and then putting in on a new trailer one I get on the mainland. If i try to fix the trailer then I have to pay barge fees which I estimate to be between 150-200 but they could be more I don't know yet.

As for my resources I have a sunfish trailer, a trailer for our families 17 foot henry o center consul. a truck and jeep.

I am really excited to get back into sailing because I have been away from it for awhile. After I get it back to the mainland and clean it up and put a few hundred bucks into restoring it I can take a few of my college buddies and spend a weekend on it and take it somewhere on an adventure.

This summer I started read books and have become really into the idea of circumnavigating so I feel this is a step closer to that goal. Its also weird that out of the blue I was given this boat only a week after I told my mom that all I wanted for Christmas was a sailboat(even though i knew that i wasn't going to get a sailboat, at least from them.) I don't know if I believe in fate and whatnot but the coincided seems to be almost to strong to just push aside.

Anyways. I don't know if this should be in this section of the forums but feel free to move it where ever you would like.
Also I will be posting pictures as I repair, paint and clean the Oday Mariner 2+2 and begin taking it out on adventure around the North Carolina coast.

Thanks for anyones kind words or help in advance

-Thad

I will post pictures later of the boat and the trailer (or as can be referred to as "the situation" since it could become a huger undertaking to even get it off the island)

Last edited by sodman12; 12-26-2007 at 11:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2007

wduncan50 is on a distinguished road
If you think the trailer is good enough to haul the boat home, why not rebuild it? I have done this twice now. Be sure you repack the bearings before you try to pull it. Then when you get it home and the boat off of it.

1. Sandblast it. I bought a sandblaster from Sears for around $50 you will need a compressor which you can rent. Maybe able to rent the sandblaster too.
2. Paint with a metal primer, I used Rust-Oleum.
3. Paint final coat.
4. Put buddy bearing on so you can keep them lubed.
5. Replace the lights and wiring, you can buy kits at most auto parts stores.
6. Replace any rollers or carpet runners that are bad.
Old 12-27-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Harbor freight has cheap light kits for trailers.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-27-2007

fafnir is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the new boat, I think O'day mariners are great trailer sailors. New trailers are more expensive then you might think. One good source for used trailers has always been http://www.craigslist.org, but often times those need work as well. If your current trailer just has surface rust, I would repair your existing trailer.
Old 12-27-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
My step dad bought a new trailer for his sail boat last summer, it was $3500 or so, but a lot heavier than yours. You should be closer to 1000-1500 for a trailer new for your sized boat. Used....who knows.

rewiring a trailer is easy, I rewire one of my utility trailers it seems every 5 yrs or so. Takes about 1-2 hrs. Repainting with spray cans is easy too. Sand blasting works, or a wire brush on an angle grinder works too for prep. I usually do the angel grinder, as I own two of them, 4 trailers of different sorts, along with one flatbed that needs redoing every 5-6 yrs also! Light kits can be had at your local auto parts, for $25 or there abouts for the taillight part. If you need and will the other lights, reflectors etc, figure about $100 total for these parts. About 6 cans of Rustoleum spray paint, $4 ea. your on your way.

Brake parts if you need them, are typically $50 for each side, includes backing plate and drums. A bolt on and off with 4 bolts. The PITA is if you have hyraulic surge brakes, ie the bleeding of the brakes, you need two people, if electric, I highly doubt on a boat trailer, then re wire the brakes up. It would not be hard to spend the better part of two weekends doing all the above!

marty
Old 12-27-2007

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
As everyone has said, assuming that the trailer has not rusted through, repairing and fixing up trailers is a pretty job. From a durability and ease of touch up standpoint, I personally have had better luck with brush-on Rustolium than the spray. If the trailer is rusted through and you don't have access to a cheap welding shop, then you might be looking at buying a used tailer. The nice thing about a boat like the Mariner (assuming its a centerboard version) is that you can buy a used powerboat trailer and adapt it. Used power boat trailers are generally more readily available and cheaper to buy.

Mariners are great little boats. I am assuming this is a centerboard (rather than keel) version which would be nice in the rivers and marshes of North Carolina but not so great out in the ocean.

Good sailing,
Jeff

Last edited by Jeff_H; 12-31-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-27-2007

this is the centerboard version.

The existing trailer is not a sailboat trailer but a power boat trailer that has been adapted for use, which is fine.

heres what need to be replaced

-crank and hook
-tongue with the place for the trailer hitch. (don't know technical name)
- leaf springs are worthless almost to the point of bring able to kick them off.

Actually basically everything need to be replaced except for the main frame of the trailer.

the problem with getting a new trailer (new to me, not brand new) is the fee to get it over to the island.

Anyways I will be posting picture to further explain whats going on.

Thanks for your support.
Old 12-27-2007

Springs are about a 4-6 hr job, depending upon the tools you have available. Parts are less than $100. An electric or air power impact wrench is nice to remove really rusty bolts. I've done two tandem axel rigs in less than 6-8 hrs. One was a total pain, ie the one my bobcat goes on, things were really rusted. Three others were not that bad, my old RV trailer was about 5 hrs to replace all 4 springs. Single axel rigs like the one you probably have are easier than tandems.

The ball coupler is pretty easy to replace too, depending upon the type. may are bolted on with two nuts and bolts. If welded, that is another story. ANY trailer/RV supply place can get the above parts. OR there may be auto/truck spring shops with the springs available. Most will have to order, so expect a 2-3 day wait typically. I personally prefer 2" balls for smaller trailers. altho some come with a 1 7/8". I usually change these out to 2" version ASAP when I buy trailers for my company. For tandem axeled trailers, a 2 5/16" ball minimum or a pintle style is preferred for bigger loads, ie my Equipment trailer that I haul a bobcat and track hoe on daily! Reality is, a 2" coupler will do what ever you need.

The crank and hook I will assume to be the winch that pulls the boat up, also readily available at any/most marine supply or trailer supply places. Again, not a major item to worry about. Rope is available anywhere as is the hook, ie most any hardware store such as Home Depot, and many have winches too!

If you need tires, again, most tire shops will have new ones available for about $50-75 ea, depending upon the size. There is a mark on the sidewall that will tell you the date of manufacture. Unfortunetly, I can not remember how to read the dates. Take them to a tire dealer, and if they are older than 6-7 yrs, replace them no matter how good they look. As rubber actually gets worst with age. Most OTR truck companies will not use tires over 6-7 yrs, they will retread the heck out of them and get upwards of a million miles from the case. Depending upon where you need to move the trailer too, new tires might be nice, as a blow out along the road is not fun.

marty

Last edited by blt2ski; 12-27-2007 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-27-2007

Thanks for the advice.

I think we will be sticking with this trailer. We contacted the barge and found out that it is free to transport stuff from the island since the only way to get large things over is on their barge so you pay a onetime fee to get it over and if you want to take it off it is free.

Anyways this is what we needed to make up our minds on what to do.

blt2ski the ball coupler is welded on. My dad saw it and was like ummm I guess we can just cut it off and then slide on another new one.
Anyone see a problem with this if the tongue is long enough?

Again thanks for all the advice.
Old 12-27-2007

Cut it off, then install a new one! Been there done that too! I bolted the new one on tho! Just maek sure that you can get a new one before cutting the old one off. You will need the width measurement of the tongue when you get a new one. Your probably only going to take off all of 4-6 inches, so this should not be an issue in most cases.

One other thing I thought of, is check the grease conditions in the bearings. You may need to repack them. Or get new bearings. There is two sizes for trailers. Large and small if you will. MOST Napa stores stock these bearings. as do most RV/trailer supply places. Some of the parts can also be found a local granges/farm supply places too. Along with it is sometimes cheaper depending upon the tire size, to buy a new rim and tire already mounted vs just re mounting a new tire.

have fun with the new toy!