Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2007

sab30 is on a distinguished road
A creature comfort speedster?

Well over the Christmas season a friend and I were discussing our next sailing plans and my friend wants to sail back and forth between Panama and Pacific Northwest. So he wants a completely different boat than what I need..the discussion began....he wants a 40' foot min newer model (late 90's and newer) but he wants as much speed as he can get with plenty of creature comforts with some room inside. Up to 300K MAX Tankage is not a huge issue (min 100 g of water) and keel not important...but wants a GOOD quality boat in case it does blow or decides to round up into the Caribbean.

My guess was a Sabre 402 but he was questioning me about an Elan 434 -Ive never been on either so I told him I would post....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If he wants speed... get a catamaran or a trimaran.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-27-2007

We talked about that but he is a monohull guy...have there been much for discussion around the Elan 434..what boat would be its most similar competitor? Better yet I like the new Sabre 426..lots of $$$$ though...the price seems to be pretty attractive on the Elan but again I have never been on one or even seen one.

Sab30
Old 12-27-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Elan has been made in europe for many yrs, same company that builds/makes Elan skis. The boat factory is on one side of the road, the ski plant onthe other side.

THere is a deck salon in seattle. I have been on it. It is ok. Typical what I would call mid level build quality. Sabres are definetly a much nicer better build boat IMHO. THen again, they do cost more!

For where you want to go, ANY of the coastal cruisers in the low 40' range will work. Ones that have fin keels will usually be a bit quicker.

A J120, 40 to 45' versions should work well, as would a C&C 120 ifyouwant speedsters. Tarten has a new 4300 out, that should also fly along reasably well.

There is a 38' mid 70's Hunter that is on my dock that is still owned by original owner, and he has had his rig to mexico 3-4 times! Granted teh hunters then seem to be better built than todays models.........

Right now teh owner of Marine sevicenter in seattle. the elan, tarten c7c, jeanneau, dehler dealer, is on a 43' deck saloon Jeanneau in the south pacific. Left a yr ago with wife and twin daughters.

It will boil down to your pocket book!

marty
Old 12-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Be aware that the new Tartans may or may not have some build quality issues.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-27-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Speed and sturdy only one boat fits your bill.

Dehler.

Forget the Elan and the Sabre
Old 12-27-2007

Ya he agreed that the Tartan 4300 and Sabre were his first choice but out of his price range. Dont get me wrong hes not looking for a Bluewater boat as he will be on the coast 95% of the time..just a high end production boat that is fast with lots of room for his wifes stuff

Sab30
Old 12-27-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
you did say speed....

Good luck then...
Old 12-27-2007

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
My first choice for a performance cruiser that would be offshore capable, it would be a J-44. Good sound boats with excellent short-handed offshore records and a great interior layout. In all ways these are far superior offshore boats to either the Sabre or Elan. All they lack are the fancy finishes. With a $300 K budget he can easily buy a J-44 and have $70-80 K left for upgrades and transportation and personal preferences.

If I had to buy one J-44 in particular, I would look at Martinicus Van Breems' (inventer of the 'Dutchman') boat which was beefed up and heavily modified for offshore safety and ease of handling. While this is an older than a late 1990's boat, it has been maintained and upgraded in ways that you would be hard pressed to find in anything newer. For example, it has had custom molded hull, fore and aft watertight collision bulkheads and kevlar collision zones added.

I understand that there was some minor core rot in the deck, but I understand that any deck rot that was found was carefully repaired and beefed up and in doing so the liners were removed and a carefully prepped and painted overhead added, greatly improving ease of maintainance.

When I look at the way this boat has been kept, improved, and equipped I am extremely impressed with the careful and intelligent decisions that have been made.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=75584&url=

If I ever wanted to and could afford to own a 40 plus foot performance offshore cruiser, this particular boat would be my number one choice of all of the boats that are out there.

Respectfully,
Jeff

Last edited by Jeff_H; 12-27-2007 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-27-2007

GerryMH is an unknown quantity at this point
What about one of the newer Beneteau's then? They are roomy, fast and can be bought relatively cheaply.

.gerryantics.blogspot.com