Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
For me the Bene is the pick of the four.The catalina is nice but for the money look a bit bigger.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Go for the Grampian 30. It's solid and forgiving and you have room to stow stuff if you want to summer aboard, but it's small enough that a small propane heater would make the boat toasty. Don't worry about the Atomic 4...it's a reliable engine that makes way more sense than a diesel in short-haul, in and out of the marina situations. Just get a gas/propane sniffer and run the blower EVERY time prior to start up.

I'm not sure why your prices are in U.S. dollars as the Canadian dollar is currently $1.02 U.S.. If you are considering buying U.S. boats, be aware that there may be customs or other duties involved in importation to Canada, like with older, French-built Beneteaus.

Lakes Ontario and Erie have literally dozens of 27-32 footers for sale over each winter, and sailing them back to Montreal is a snap. Check out www.boatforsale.org
Old 12-30-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
this part of the op's post I felt was important....

"I'm not looking for something seaworthy enough to cross oceans in (yet ) but if one day I wanted to hop over to the Bahamas etc, it would be nice to know that I could without having to get another boat. (with the right weather window, and a lot more experience then I have now of course )
"

Of the tubs you're looking at (for the above), the grampian and bene would be more suitable... but, I'll bet by the time you want to do the bahamas thing, you'll be looking for a bigger hole to throw money into anyway, so, given that, I'd go with the catalina.
but hey, thats just me

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 12-30-2007

mxtommy is on a distinguished road
Talking thanks!

Thanks everyone

I've pretty much crossed the ketch off my list, I've also bumped the Catalina from 3rd place to a tie for first with the Grampian. I suppose my preferences will change after I see the boats though. The listings some of you supplied are also worth looking at. I'm going to look into the ones I posted first though as they're a LOT closer to me then others. They're only about 100 miles away and all 3 are in the same area (roughly) so I could conceivably go see all 3 in the same day. I'd have tried to go today but I'm on call for my work (IT Administrator) starting a 5pm Oh well Next weekend perhaps if I can arrange it with the broker. I'll take lots of pictures and let you guys know how it went.

Some other questions that one of you raised relates to taxes, duties and such. I'm assuming I'll have to pay sales tax wherever I register it, however is registering it in the US possible? The thinking behind that would be that I'd avoid any "importation" issues and costs. I'm not really sure how all the "paperwork" is going to happen, though I guess that the broker would have more information? He's close enough to Canada that he must have had a few Canadian buyers before. Does anyone know where to find the sales tax rates in the US? I did a quick search on Google but didn't turn up anything. Also, could I declare it as a residence to save anything? I've seen a few people say that they declared their boat as a second home in order to save on taxes or something. Does that still work if you don't own a home? I realize the taxes on such a "cheap" boat wont be THAT much, (nothing compared to say a $200,000 boat) but hey, if all it takes is a few minutes filling out a form to save a grand or two, then why not.

Thanks again!
Old 12-30-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
I would go for the catalina 27 or the Grampian.

Outboards are my personal preference - they are cheaper, easy to maintain, and if it goes kaput you just yank it to fix.

Sounds like you have thought this out well and are a smart young man. Good luck and I would second the advice 'never buy a boat you don't love.'

Also, don't worry about getting a boat for some future ocean plans. Get a boat for you now. If you decide later to go ocean cruising, well, sell it and get a new one with all your recently gained experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tenuki; 12-30-2007 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-30-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I don't think you could register the boat in the US and keep it in Canada (not as a Canadian citizen). Bringing it into the country would be deemed importing.

If you buy a North American built boat then there is no duty, you just pay the taxes that are applicable. It's a simple process. Certainly a better climate these days for buying a boat in the US given the relative dollar values now! I'm envious (we bought in the US with a $.75 dollar a few years ago... still got a decent deal, but now...)

I'm sure it varies state-to-state, but I seem to recall some issues with non residents (ie Canadians) keeping Wash.. registered boats in Wash. state.
Old 12-30-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Also, if you're really planning on taking it to the islands at some point... although it is more likely that you will have upgraded to a different, larger boat by then... you need to have it federally registered or documented. You can't USCG document the boat in the USA unless you are a US citizen. So, your best bet would be to register it in Canada.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-30-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Also, if you're really planning on taking it to the islands at some point... although it is more likely that you will have upgraded to a different, larger boat by then... you need to have it federally registered or documented. You can't USCG document the boat in the USA unless you are a US citizen. So, your best bet would be to register it in Canada.
I know at least 3 people who cruise the Islands with a state registered boat. A USCG documented boat is nice but far from required.
Old 12-30-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Freesail—

Yes, but I doubt any of those three are Canadian Citizens... sailing on a US state registered boat... Think about it... the paperwork hassles would be ridiculous... given the fact that he's Canadian. You really need to consider the situation as a whole before giving advice. I'm pretty sure that a Canadian, sailing a US state-registered boat would have significantly more trouble with foreign paperwork and customs than a US Citizen sailing a US state-registered boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
I know at least 3 people who cruise the Islands with a state registered boat. A USCG documented boat is nice but far from required.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 12-30-2007 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-30-2007
capt'n

sandsailor is on a distinguished road
i've got a santana 27

no frills below deck but very similar to the catalina in build very well built very forgiving and a very competitive boat to race.
it'll handle anything you throw at it and its legally trailer able(barely).
i would say take it out and see what you think its not a bad price and theres lots of room to grow into but small enough to single hand.
if later you decide other wise resale is good (JMO).

PS if i trade mine out it'll be at least a 45' live aboard