Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Cool 2 better then 1?

those of you that have 2 staterooms.. do you find that guests are more willing to come stay on your boat? Everyone likes privacy for sure.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2008

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Wow, am I unqualified to answer this. I've never had *two* staterooms, much less one. I'm not even sure I heard the term "stateroom" in relation to the 25 to 40-foot auxiliary sailboats (usually belonging to others, which I was delivering, or had borrowed) I used to sail. We just talked about "bunks", period.

I guess if you have a center-cockpit boat, then maybe you have two staterooms. Maybe this is easier for attracting company who value privacy.

To me, anyone who gets on a cruising sailboat of less than, say, 70 feet in length, abandons all hope of privacy, other than in the head. If you value privacy, go to a hotel rather than a sailboat. If you like to sail, give up the privacy til you're in a hotel or back home.

This brings up another topic. Any boat big enough to have two separate staterooms is going be too fat to sail well. I'd rather sail fast during the day than go 3 knots so as to have lots of cabin space at night.

I'm sure I've done a very bad job of answering your question, I've sorta ranted, my apologies. Maybe it'll spark some discussion. But I've always been irritated by the question, "how many does it sleep?" I would rather know, "how well does she sail" and worry about the sleeping later.
Old 01-03-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I think privacy is an illusion in most boats under 60 feet anyway, and that in smaller boats the "need" for enclosed cabins can really chop up an otherwise decent layout.

Can't say that we've ever had someone refuse to join us for a weekend on account of "lack of privacy". Of course, they probably wouldn't necessarily say so even if that was the case, I suppose.

We definitely wanted 2 doubles this time around, but not so much for "privacy" but to avoid the inconvenience of making and unmaking beds in the main salon each day.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-03-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
This was a deal breaker for my wife. Our previous boat was a Catalina 34 with two separate sleeping cabins. We both came to appreciate the separate cabins for taking guests out although while shopping for our next boat, I still considered several that had quarter berths but the boss put her foot down and wanted two cabins again. I'm happy if the wife is happy, so it all worked out.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 01-03-2008
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Ok. err.. call em cabins Yes.. I think I saw a Catalina 38 had one under the cockpit. not sure. looked at so many boats at the show(s)

My boat is for sale.
Old 01-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Here's a boat with some decent cabin space. LINK

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-03-2008

sab30 is on a distinguished road
I second the 2 cabin idea. It is perfect for 2 couples and even though they are cabins (v berth etc) people do like to have a private area..it doesnt have to be much but still is their private area. Having to deal with a bed in the salon doesnt doesnt appeal to me..well thos are some of my wifes thoughts.. hope it helps.

Sab30
Old 01-03-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
I don't think people coming to your boat expect privacy, if they do they won't last long. I also don't think they relate to "cabins". What they can relate to is "how many does it sleep comfortably". That will usually determine their interest in spending time abord.
Old 01-03-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I have to say this thought has never crossed my mind. We have guests for dinner or drinks at dock, or we meet people when sailing, or sometimes we have crew, and we stick them where they will fit and tack a blanket in a strategic spot.

On the new boat, I will be putting a fold-up pipe berth (basically a framed hammock or "stretcher" thing) in the forepeak where the workshop is. That way, a single crew, if he or she chooses, can have a small, dark, triangular "room" to themselves if so desired. At least they'll be a 12 VDC outlet, a 120 VAC plug and plenty of woodworking equipment at hand.

To be honest, I don't have guests when we travel in the conventional sense. I have them on three-hour cruises through the harbour, but anyone who actually stays aboard is officially "crew" and gets put into the watch and chores rotation, which can be formal or informal. (See Alex's "Welcome to Portugal...do you know how to fix a head?" approach). Everyone works on my boat, including the children. They may not work particularly hard (here...chop vegetables!), but it isn't a charter boat and they will sleep where it is logical for them to do so.

That being said, if we were on 24-hour passage, I have no problem giving up the "aft stateroom" (ha-ha!) because I prefer to sleep in a pilot berth in such situations.
Old 01-03-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
its only an issue when they see the green light of the
webcam on. then, again, depending on the amount of adult beverages consumed...

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.