Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2008

Tspringer is on a distinguished road
Places to keep a boat in Caribbean ?

I am contemplating purchasing a boat. I would want to keep the boat in the Caribbean at least 6 months out of the year and then probably bring her north to NC or places north for the Hurricane season.

One boat I am currently considering is based in the USVI. But based on the research I have done so far, keeping a 47' monohull sailboat anywhere in the VI is going to run HUGE money. Like $1500+ per month just for a slip. Thats just no doable for me.

Where else should be considered? AS long as its reasonably accessible via airlines I am open to suggestion. Puerto Rico? Windwards? Bahamas?

Any experience with slip or mooring availability and costs in various places is much appreciated!

Terry
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Try here in Grenada:
http://www.clarkescourtbaymarina.com/whoweare.htm

Easily accessible from PR and monthly rates should be in the $5-600 a month range + any electric. Safe and out of the way and run by good people.
Old 01-11-2008
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
Puerto Del Rey, PR 75 cents per foot per month including water. Nice Marina - "St Hoags" in Captain Ron. Simpson Bay Lagoon - prices went up first of yearto buy a bridge part - but still only $40 per week to anchor + bridgeentry fee that is length dependent. Like Annapolis in that every boat service is avaialble, French and Dutch restrauants, all the comforts of home; English speaking and U S dollar based economy and duty free. Even a sports bar to watch fotball games. Puerto Rico is cheaper to fly to but St. Maatttrten has brand new international airport and a place to store your private jet while tou are on your Yacht ( a boat bigger than mine). We like it here so much we bought a retirement condo here.
Old 01-11-2008

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Salinas, Puerto Rico

Google

"Marina de Salinas Puerto Rico"

Great bay, nice people. Good expat community. Hurricane hole in case you can't get out before hurricane season. I had a mooring there for 3 years. $100 p.m. with full maria access. Prices may have gone up since.

Easy flights to PR, long taxi ride but people do it all the time.

Last edited by gtod25; 01-11-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-11-2008
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Tspringer

I keep my boat in a slip on St Thomas and most of the marina rates that I am aware of are not even close to the nearly $30/ft that you indicating. It sounds like you got the daily rate of $1/ft and turned that into a monthly. I would be interested in what marinas you have contacted. Feel free to PM me if you wish.
Old 01-11-2008

Thanks for the replies... keep them coming.

Perhaps I am not computing the rates correctly. This may seem like a stupid question..... but check out the rates page for American Yacht Harbor at Red Hook:

Sorry... it wont let me post the link.

Confusing? I take that to mean that for a boat under 50' on a monthly berthing the rate is $1.20 per foot per day. So thats $56.40 per day and about $1,692 per month. Where am I screwing this up?

I am very interested in learning more about basing the boat out of PR. How is the cruising locally? Any links to other threads or info? It sure is cheaper to fly into PR from Atlanta than ST!

I do very much appreciate the help!

Terry
Old 01-11-2008
Freedom 39

Your math is correct. If you are interested in marinas on STT you should check with Compass Point or La Vida (Independdnt Boat Yard). You might also check with Lattitude 18. Many of these marinas are more like $12-$13/ft per month plus water and electricity which is less than 1/2 of AYH. For AYH prices you might as well stay at the new Yacht Haven Grande which is much fancier than AYH. You might also check at the Crown Bay Marina which is the closest marina to the airport and still very nice.
Old 01-11-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Terry....you are looking at rates in the newest, high dollar marina in the Virgins. Nothing wrong with your analysis. Around the corner...you can get 1/3 of that price: http://www.independentboatyard.com/IBY4.HTM

As to PR...I agree with Gtod that it can be a great place. We stayed in the Ponce Yacht Club on the souther shore close to Salinas that he mentioned...great people and reasonable. I would think that somewhere on the East Coast would be better however for quick access for easy sailing to the Spanish Virgins and the USVI. There are several large marinas in Fajardo.
Old 01-11-2008
Freedom 39

Camaraderie

You are a little confused. IGY bought American Yacht Harbor which is on the east end of the island where the ferry dock is located and has been around for many years. IGY recently opened Yacht Haven Grande which is the new $150 million dollar marina and shopping center located adjacent to the cruise ship dock and has been open less than a year. Why the pricing at these two places is equal is beyond me.
Old 01-12-2008

All good info...

Looking at Google Earth, Marinas in the Fajardo area would seem to be perfect. I have heard lots of good things about the Spanish Virgins. Also, flying into PR from Atlanta as opposed to ST is about half the cost with more flight options.

Terry