SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Proud new owner of a Hunter 30 here!

6K views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  AlanBrown 
#1 ·

I just heard from the broker, the owner accepted my offer. Looks like I'm going to Florida next week to close the deal.

It's a '79 Hunter 30. I have never been a big fan of Hunters but after doing a little research I would never have a new one (no offense to Hunter owners) but the older ones seem like decent boats. By comparison, a 2004 Hunter 30 weighs 7,000lbs, the '79 weighs 10,000lbs, quite a difference.

The '79's (actually the '73-'84 series) have a full skeg hung rudder which I definitely like over a fin.

She needs a little TLC, a good cleaning and buff job, and some tinkering here and there but she is structurally and mechanically sound. Good Yanmar diesel, newer sails, bimini and dodger, dingy w/ outboard, hot & cold pressure water, wheel steering w/ auto pilot.

Could use some new upholstery, it's pretty dated '70's ugly' but thats ok for now.

Bahama's here I come!!

See less See more
#10 ·
Good Ol' Hunter

Congrats, you are spot on..... the oldies are goodies, had an 87' 28.5, raced it and did very well, took it 89 miles south of key west and back with no problems.... bahamas and more. put some decent sails on it first, on those old hunters it really makes them come back to life..........

#11 ·
Congratulations, and my sincere condolences... ;)

Where will you be keeping her and sailing her? Also, what are you going to name her?

#14 ·
Congrats, Blowin', enjoy your new baby... Friends just moved up from a similar model and have nothing but good things to say about their old H30.

#15 ·
Congratulations.

I just sold my boat today, which frees us up to make an offer on a nice 34 Catalina we've been looking at. Out of curiosity, would you mind sharing the percentage delta between your offer and the asking price on your new baby?

#16 ·
Congratulations.

I just sold my boat today, which frees us up to make an offer on a nice 34 Catalina we've been looking at. Out of curiosity, would you mind sharing the percentage delta between your offer and the asking price on your new baby?
Congrats to you, too, Midlife!

#23 ·
Congrats, my previous boat, a 86 Hunter 30 was a bundle of joy for a half boat. The only problem I had was all my buddies on catalina's wanted me to tow them everywhere.

Do join the Hunter owners groups, lots of good advice on them.
I swapped out the portals on mine (one day job) upgraded the batteries, charger and rewired to abyc - ish standards. Decided to sell when I stripped out the headliner and saw daylight glowing through the FG - well, that and the whole halfboat lead mine thing.. :)
enjoy.

#24 ·
I've single handed a 1981 Hunter 30 since 2001. I bought it in Nassau, cruised it all around the central and northern Bahamas, and have made a couple trips with it across the Gulf Stream to Florida and the Keys. It's been a great boat for me. In 14 months I'll move back aboard full-time.

You didn't mention if you had your boat surveyed before you bought it. If you did, your surveyor may have pointed out several problem areas associated with the older Hunters. If he didn't, I'll share with you a couple of problems I've had to deal with.

Chain plates - If you can't find out if they've even been replaced, replace them! I had one break on me and when I examined the rest of them, I found that although they looked good, they all had corroded from the inside out. I was an accident just waiting to happen! Save the originals and have a machine shop make you some replacements. They are easy to duplicate and are no longer available from Hunter.

Some of the chain plates attach to a metal framework with runs port to starboard, amidships. Check these out when your replacing the chain plates. I had one tear free during Hurricane Jeanne. You can't replace the fastening points, but you may be able to beef them up if they look weak.

Compression post- as the mast is deck-stepped, the post which supports it rests on the keel. Unfortunately, Hunter chose to have the post rest on top of a metal block. This block is subject to rusting and can actually rust away under the post. This allows the mast to drop around 2" and places stress on the deck. This block cannot be replaced. All I was able to do was to fiberglass all around it to keep it from rusting anymore.

Standing rigging- Same as the chain plates. If it hasn't been replaced in the last 10 years or so, get it checked out by a professional. Although it may still look good, it also corrodes from the inside out. I replaced all my rigging in 2002.

Lifeline stanchion tops - They are made of some type of metal which flakes away over time. Bosun Supply offers replacement caps. I've had to replace most all of mine.

Opening ports - I replaced all of my salon ports as they were broken and leaking. The original manufacturer, Bomar, is in Tampa, FL and you can get replacements from them.

Prop strut - Over time, electrolysis can really eat away at this. My strut broke twice on me, causing costly repairs. The first time it broke I was able to motor back to Nassau Harbour. I removed it from the boat and had it brazed. I also had to have the prop shaft straightened. Three years later it broke once again. This time I had to have a new one fabricated by a shop in Jacksonville, FL. It cost me a lot of money and time. I also had to replace the prop shaft as well. The only way you can really check this part is when your boat is out of the water.

Good luck with your Hunter. Be prepared to roll up your sleeves and tackle all the projects/repairs associated with buying an older boat. I haven't regretted my purchase decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.