Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
There are changes that may not be prominently disclosed...For a US documented boat - you have 60 days from state to state...not 90 as previously stated. (hence you can avoid state taxes if every 60 days you move to another state)...

However, you can not document a vessel with the Coast guard if you are not a US citizen...

If you have a non-US documented vessel you are except from state registrations for a min of 90 days per documented port of entry (in some cases that is per state)...However, by regulations a non-US documented vessel actually can have up to 6 months (or more) ... with out penalty... depending on the circumstance the vessel is here (ie: visa, drydock etc..).

The best bet is to review everything available at http://www.uscg.mil/

It'll give you all of the options available for you... Since you are not a US citizen - and going back to Australia... maybe buying a a documented vessel outside the US is a better way to go...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2008

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
Folks, I think we are over complication the matter...

lets break it down into stages;

johnny333 is legally in the US and wants to buy a boat. He buys it and pays sales tax on it. Good so far. He has to have it registered somewhere but as he is a "damn foreigner" he cannot get Federal registration. So therefore he gets NY State registeration using his driving license. Good so far. Lots of "damn foreigner's" have boats in the US so it must work. Plus the states like getting tax revenue. johnny333 should check this first.

Now johnny333, bless his demented soul, wants to sail to the Bahamas, Caribbean islands, Central America (except the French islands) etc. He has a US State registered vessel, these countries have no 9/11 issues so no problem. He has to fly a flag, so a US one makes the most sense.

Now johnny333 wants to return to the US. If he can legally register, keep and pay tax on a vessel in NY State why cannot the boat return to it, even via another state. If he has a multiple entry visa, ditto for johnny333.

Ref the French islands. As johnny333 is "damn foreigner" and not an American the French will possible turn a blind eye and let him in, State registration and all (They did for me). Especially now that the Skippies have turfed out that idiot John Howard (FOB).

But what do I know, I've only done it!

Keep in mind, however, that some bureaucrat is well capable of screwing up the best laid plans of mice and men.

Last edited by gtod25; 01-16-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-17-2008

johnny333 is on a distinguished road
thanks to everyone for the information,its a little complicated but thats the deal.anyway i will take care of it step by step.
Gtod25,good times ah,little johnny howard is down the frog and tod.
i will go to the top with this deal!!it will be all cool.thanks for your input.cheers johnny
Old 01-17-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Johnny...good luck with it all. You need to read this document about boatregistration etc. in NY since you indicate that is where you will keep her: http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/boats.pdf

ArtbyJody...sorry but that is simply incorrect about 60 days state to state.See link above for proof. Each state has its' own rules...Florida and NY are 90 days, others are 60 or 30 or 60 consecutive and no more than 180 in a calendar year. It varies all over the lot and you have to look at each state.
Old 01-17-2008

johnny333 is on a distinguished road
camaraderie,thanks for your input again much appreciated cheers johnny
iam sure i will see you "out side" one day,that means going to sea,in australia,were i grew up anyway.
Old 01-17-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
While I can not reproduce the link... I did run across a section on the USCG website - highlighted in green that explicatively stated 60 days... and hence the only reason I posted that because I do not have time to make up anything...

yes different states do have certain policies and those policies must be dissented from the definitions of moving from state to state or a traveling from state to state...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Johnny...good luck with it all. You need to read this document about boatregistration etc. in NY since you indicate that is where you will keep her: http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/boats.pdf

ArtbyJody...sorry but that is simply incorrect about 60 days state to state.See link above for proof. Each state has its' own rules...Florida and NY are 90 days, others are 60 or 30 or 60 consecutive and no more than 180 in a calendar year. It varies all over the lot and you have to look at each state.

S/V "
" -

Old 01-17-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Jody...now you have me interested. Find and post it when the tequila runs out! (g)
Old 01-17-2008

I'll have it tomorrow - but crap me not - I read it and it was clearly indicated that the 90 day rule had changed... when do you go the USCG site and text is in green? at any rate will produce tomorrow as I ate half the worm already _

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Jody...now you have me interested. Find and post it when the tequila runs out! (g)

S/V "
" -

Old 01-17-2008

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
State registration is a boat control and maybe tax issue. The vessel is in fact owned by a foreigner. It is not registered in a national registry under a flag of convenience, and cannot be registered as an american boat.
It would seem wrong that it could fly an american flag representing that it was, even if certain countries have turned a blind eye to this, probably mainly on the grounds proximity and $$. However perhaps gtod25 could say exactly when he got away with it. The danger it seems to me is in the US coast guard boarding now and requiring documentation and compliance to be correct. The chances of that would seem as an outsider to be greater now than before. They may even be able to tell the difference between an australian and american.
Old 01-17-2008

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Actually, NYS has some obscure rules about motorized vessels. They only have to be registered in the state IF they are "on the navigable waterways" of the state for over 90 days in a row. The laws are obscure enough that you probably couldn't convince a bay constable without showing them the books...but in theory you can keep a motorized vessel in NYS waters for 89 days, pop over to CT or NJ or wherever for lunch or fuel, and then come back in for another 89 days. Haul the boat for the winter...the counting stops, because you are not in the navigable waterways.
Of course if you are a resident, you still have to pay TAX on the damned thing, you're just given a break on the registration. And every water cop will still come up to find out why you've got no numbers on it. And, the folks at most DMV offices will still run and hide if you hand them papers and say "BOAT", they just don't deal with them in every office every day. Go figure.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.