SailNet Community

SailNet Community (
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (
-   -   non resident to buy a yacht in usa,how to do it? (

johnny333 01-16-2008 06:16 PM

non resident to buy a yacht in usa,how to do it?
hey there.
iam living here in the states for the time being,i am non resident.i will be buying a yacht soon,2 or 3 months,then plan to stay for another 6 to 7 months,
and then head of to the islands for around 3 years,then head back home to Australia with the yacht through the canal,that leg may take me another 2 years to sail back to sydney,
where do i register the yacht?? i have a lot of friends on the east coast and can use there address if that helps,iam sure my broker has the answer but,who knows if that is gospel,
any advice would be very helpful thanks.
cheers johnny

camaraderie 01-16-2008 06:27 PM

Johnny...there is no problem buying a boat and getting a STATE registration for any state in which you can establish an address. Be aware that SALES TAXES are due once you register a boat here in most states. Better to register or document it in Australia then move between states so as not to get caught in any of their "nets" ...which usually means no more than 90 days in a given state.
You have an American flag on your Avatar...if you have a US passport you can simply document it with the Coast Guard using a USA address...then follow the "keep moving advice" in the above until you depart from the country. Many counties will not accept state registrations...they will want USA or Aussie documentation.

gtod25 01-16-2008 06:39 PM

Register in the USVI........
Locate someone with a USVI address and register there. They just want your $150 per year and could care less if you were from Mars. Just watch the tax laws of the state you are in (you may have to move within 90 days) and watch the French Islands who don't like US State Registration.

johnny333 01-16-2008 06:52 PM

camaraderie,you always have good info thank you,i have an australian passport.not the sales tax 5 or 6 percent,thanks again johnny

johnny333 01-16-2008 07:07 PM

gtod25,thanks for the info.

Camaraderie,with a usa state registered yacht,can i sail that to the Bahamas

hellosailor 01-16-2008 07:10 PM

Johnny, sales tax will vary for each county in each state, and sometimes by the city as well. You need to enquire where you will register the boat--if you get a state registration.

But state registration will not be recognized as proof of anything, once you leave the US. For that you need titling. Since you are an alien, you cannot get USCG documentation, which is the US federal titling. In order to bring the boat into Oz, you may be required to have Australian titling on it--and to pay any tariffs that are in effect at that time.

Local (state) registration and taxation can be required if you are in any one state for as little as 30 days. On the 31st day, registration, insurance, and taxation can kick in, because in most states boats are treated as motor vehicles and motor vehicles are required to be locally registered, often in 30 days, sometimes as generous as 90. In some places you cannot get a marina contract without showing proof of local taxes being paid, the tax men are ahead of the game and the marinas don't want to get stuck in the middle.

Your best best? I'd say find out what Oz wants. Catch-22 applies, because if you place the boat under any non-US flag, you need to remove it from the US, get a cruisoing permit, and then reimport the boat--for a period not to exceed one year before you must exit again.

These kind of regs don't just apply to the US, they apply everywhere. Everyone wants a piece, and don't even think about sailing home to Oz without advance clearance as your arrival date becomes closer.

gtod25 01-16-2008 07:10 PM

Yes, I have had no problem with State Registration anywhere in the Caribbean, except the French Islands.

johnny333 01-16-2008 07:36 PM

hellosailor,the thing is, i will not be back to australia for 3 years at least,i think it might be easer at the moment to stay with usa state i will be sailing back and forth from ny state to miami bahamas ect,
thanks for your input cheers, johnny

johnny333 01-16-2008 07:40 PM

gtod25.usa state rego is good for the caribbean,thats good to hear,whats the deal with the french ah!!
cheers johnny

camaraderie 01-16-2008 07:49 PM

Johnny....HS has it pretty much right except that the Bahamas ans some other islands will accept a state reg. You won't get through the canal that way though so you MUST title the boat in aussieland. If you do that you can avoid state sales tax by moving along. Florida has a 90 day limit and a 6% minimum sales tax with a little more in some counties.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) LLC 2000-2012

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome