Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2008

johnny333 is on a distinguished road
non resident to buy a yacht in usa,how to do it?

hey there.
iam living here in the states for the time being,i am non resident.i will be buying a yacht soon,2 or 3 months,then plan to stay for another 6 to 7 months,
and then head of to the islands for around 3 years,then head back home to Australia with the yacht through the canal,that leg may take me another 2 years to sail back to sydney,
where do i register the yacht?? i have a lot of friends on the east coast and can use there address if that helps,iam sure my broker has the answer but,who knows if that is gospel,
any advice would be very helpful thanks.
cheers johnny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Johnny...there is no problem buying a boat and getting a STATE registration for any state in which you can establish an address. Be aware that SALES TAXES are due once you register a boat here in most states. Better to register or document it in Australia then move between states so as not to get caught in any of their "nets" ...which usually means no more than 90 days in a given state.
You have an American flag on your Avatar...if you have a US passport you can simply document it with the Coast Guard using a USA address...then follow the "keep moving advice" in the above until you depart from the country. Many counties will not accept state registrations...they will want USA or Aussie documentation.
Old 01-16-2008

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Register in the USVI........

Locate someone with a USVI address and register there. They just want your $150 per year and could care less if you were from Mars. Just watch the tax laws of the state you are in (you may have to move within 90 days) and watch the French Islands who don't like US State Registration.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-16-2008

camaraderie,you always have good info thank you,i have an australian passport.not american.is the sales tax 5 or 6 percent,thanks again johnny
Old 01-16-2008

gtod25,thanks for the info.

Camaraderie,with a usa state registered yacht,can i sail that to the Bahamas
Old 01-16-2008

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Johnny, sales tax will vary for each county in each state, and sometimes by the city as well. You need to enquire where you will register the boat--if you get a state registration.

But state registration will not be recognized as proof of anything, once you leave the US. For that you need titling. Since you are an alien, you cannot get USCG documentation, which is the US federal titling. In order to bring the boat into Oz, you may be required to have Australian titling on it--and to pay any tariffs that are in effect at that time.

Local (state) registration and taxation can be required if you are in any one state for as little as 30 days. On the 31st day, registration, insurance, and taxation can kick in, because in most states boats are treated as motor vehicles and motor vehicles are required to be locally registered, often in 30 days, sometimes as generous as 90. In some places you cannot get a marina contract without showing proof of local taxes being paid, the tax men are ahead of the game and the marinas don't want to get stuck in the middle.

Your best best? I'd say find out what Oz wants. Catch-22 applies, because if you place the boat under any non-US flag, you need to remove it from the US, get a cruisoing permit, and then reimport the boat--for a period not to exceed one year before you must exit again.

These kind of regs don't just apply to the US, they apply everywhere. Everyone wants a piece, and don't even think about sailing home to Oz without advance clearance as your arrival date becomes closer.
Old 01-16-2008

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
Yes, I have had no problem with State Registration anywhere in the Caribbean, except the French Islands.
Old 01-16-2008

hellosailor,the thing is, i will not be back to australia for 3 years at least,i think it might be easer at the moment to stay with usa state registration.as i will be sailing back and forth from ny state to miami bahamas ect,
thanks for your input cheers, johnny
Old 01-16-2008

gtod25.usa state rego is good for the caribbean,thats good to hear,whats the deal with the french ah!!
cheers johnny
Old 01-16-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Johnny....HS has it pretty much right except that the Bahamas ans some other islands will accept a state reg. You won't get through the canal that way though so you MUST title the boat in aussieland. If you do that you can avoid state sales tax by moving along. Florida has a 90 day limit and a 6% minimum sales tax with a little more in some counties.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.