Updated Offshore Cruising Boat List - January 2008 - Page 10 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2008

emagin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to emagin Send a message via Yahoo to emagin
Hey thanks Copa! Great to hear!
Remember, it ain't *mine* but it's ours.
I just put in the formulas and update the #s based on my own search for the perfect cruising boat!

And of course, always double check the #s on your favorite boat, as anyone can edit this sheet.

Take care!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2008

YachtMate is on a distinguished road
Hi Guys

- I may be slightly baised here, but i think that the Skye51 deserves a bit more of a write up than similiar 'apperance to swans', as i personally think its a fantastic blue water cruising boat, with a thoughtfull layout both above and below decks, good tankage, storage and sea berths - whats more its strongly built, and for its class fast.

I spent a fair amount of time choosing a blue water cruiser, so much that i took a skye51 on a test sail across the pacific, and i was impressed.

I have some experince sailing the skye51 'blue water' and its dealt admirably with everything thrown its way.

Dan

btw does anyone have more information on the deck problems?
Old 01-02-2009

cruisingmom is on a distinguished road
Blue Water Boat List - Endeavour

Hello

We are looking at the Endeavour 40 as a possible next boat for our family cruising (We presently have a Pearson 365 Ketch). In reviewing your list we noticed the absence of the Endeavours (but the inclusion of our existing P365). Is there any particular reason that the Endeavour is not recommended for Blue water cruising?
Thanks for the help
Old 01-02-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Because it is not built for it. It is built for coastal cruising/caribe not the long term pounding of a blue water existence. Nothing wrong with them...most boats are built for just that.
Old 01-02-2009

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Not sure why I decided to read this now

But I have to say, some of the boats on the list are pretty, shall we say, surprising.

J32? Pearson 365, 422 and 424?

There are others that raised an eyebrow, but I know the above three boats fairly well, and though they are perfectly fine boats I wouldn't call them "blue water" by any stretch. And Fountaine Pajot? Again, there's nothing wrong with them, but they are known as the Hunters of the multihull world (no disrespect to Hunters, at all, but if you are going to reject all production boats, how do you include FP?).

I guess it depends on how you define blue water. If it means it can make it from Montauk to Norfolk, maybe a Bermuda trip or something like that, then there are many qualified boats that he left off the list. But if he meant to include only go anywhere, trans-oceanic boats, there are a number on that list that just make no sense to me. Even he says that several of the boats are very light on tankage, just as an example. Not sure what he was trying to accomplish, or what criteria he used. I know from the thread that the idea is whether a boat will hold up to long distance, long term cruising, but there are many boats on that list that, in my view, would be entirely unsuitable. I mean, J44? Great racing, short term cruising boat, but very limited tankage, known problems with wet cores (and that's a cored hull), difficult to sail shorthanded because she's not very forgiving, exposed rudder (that's an objection to many people), etc.

Just my belated 2 cents.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by danielgoldberg; 01-02-2009 at 05:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to danielgoldberg For This Useful Post:
simplify (12-05-2013)
Old 01-03-2009

thesnort is on a distinguished road
Why no ETAP, if they're unsinkable?
Frankly speaking, I'll take an unsinkable boat any day.
Old 01-03-2009

FlyingSailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FlyingSailor
The Fuji 32,35 and 45s are better blue water go anywhere boats than 90% of what is on the list.
Very nice sailing in light wind or heavy weather.
Right up there with Cabo Rico and Gozzards/Bayfields at least. They will take more than most crews will.
Old 01-03-2009

By the way the Fuji 32 I had has been from Calif. to Hawaii back to Calif back to Hawaii to gaum to Japan and back to Hawaii Not all in perfect sailing conditions. I'd say it has seen some Blue Water.
Old 01-03-2009

Personally I would not go out of sight of land in a boat with a Bolt on keel. Any Blue Water boat should have encapsulated keel. If you happen to run aground on sand you don't lose the keel.

I have sailed a Hunter 42 passage. Nice live aboard and fine day sailor. But NO hand holds, No Sea berths. Can't stay out very long without sleep.
Old 01-03-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
FS...The Fuji 32 was added to the list in post#8 along with a bunch of other overlooked boats.

Snort...ETAP's may not sink but neither does my old Snark. Didn't realize the Snark was a bluewater boat. (Note...not criticizing ETAP...just that un-sinkability is not the test of blue water cruising suitability and construction) Maybe the 46 will make Mahina's next list.

Last edited by camaraderie; 01-03-2009 at 08:44 PM.