Updated Offshore Cruising Boat List - January 2008 - Page 11 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2009

FlyingSailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FlyingSailor
The Amel's are good boats to. I sailed an Amel 52 from Mexico to Hawaii last spring and would take that boat anywhere. If it had a wind vane on it. The one I sailed didn't have and like normal the Auto pilot died 1,000 miles into a 3,000 kt passage so there was a lot of hand steering for 3 of us of which I ended up doing 2/3 of. I'm not going on a long passage without a wind vane again.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
FS...actually your post made me look at the original Mahina list only to find that it is not the Amel 36 and 53 that is listed but ALL Amels 36 through 56 feet
Checking other brands for a similar error....I find
BRISTOL 27 through 45
GARCIA 46 through 50+
Hinckley 30 through 64
Little Harbor 42 through 90

Thanks
Old 01-04-2009

thesnort is on a distinguished road
Hey cam,
Have they ever built a 46-foot Snark? I want one!
Actually, I think the ETAPs have much to recommend them and I know they're Lloyd's certified, for whatever that's worth.
On another note....Funny, I could have sworn that the Mahina list originally included the Gemini catamaran.
Old 01-04-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
TheSnort on a Snark in a snit!
Actually you are right about the Gemini 105...it was on his original list in 2002 but has been removed from the 2008 list quoted in this thread. Everyone knows they are not seaworthy beyond the confines of the Chesapeake Bay!
Old 01-08-2009
moderate?

Update...ETAP just placed in bankruptcy. Boats float...company sinks!
Old 01-08-2009

thesnort is on a distinguished road
"Etap Est Pâté?"
Headline from Belgian Boating World.
Now I know we're all truly screwed.
I thought that Etap was going to set the trend for "multi" hull contruction (they sandwich one hull inside the other) and that boatbuilders would do three hulls, four, etc...just like multiple razor blades.
Just another sad day for sailing enthusiasts.
Old 01-18-2009

Gaudior is on a distinguished road
Our Passport 51.5 left Ft Lauderdale for Green Bay last April w/ headwinds against the current. Tough but solid, always kept pushing on to NY.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solace, in a Crazy World
Old 01-18-2009
moderate?

Gaudior..welcome. No doubt your 51.5 is a top of the line bluewater boat. Probably is just too new to have made the list with all the other passports.
Old 01-19-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Cam—

In the interim, between 2002 and 2008, ChucklesR bought a Gemini... coincidence? I think not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
TheSnort on a Snark in a snit!
Actually you are right about the Gemini 105...it was on his original list in 2002 but has been removed from the 2008 list quoted in this thread. Everyone knows they are not seaworthy beyond the confines of the Chesapeake Bay!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-06-2009

OsmundL is on a distinguished road
I have followed these forums for a while, and I cannot help sensing that some members have a reluctance to recognize aluminium boats. It is incomprehensible that for example the Ovni range from Alubat did not appear on the list. I have an Ovni 395 and can vouch for it, sailing from Biscay to north of the Polar Circle, among other trips. The Allures 40 and 44 are supposed to be equally good. My point is this: Ovnis have been produced in numbers of more that 600 (may be out of date) for 30 years, and they go exclusively to blue water sailors. They don't go to "the French", as one member hinted, but to sailors from Scandinavia to Australia. Not that French sailors are to be scoffed at, they are after all without peers among single-handed sailors, and it was the current champion of Vendee Globe who endorsed the Allures. Forgive me for being polemic here, but let us for once go past the somewhat American prejudice that a blue water sailor should be large, heavy, clunky and most important be equipped with a large fridge. When sailing long distances to remote harbors, a boat's agility and general ease - for example with a lifting centerboard - is a major asset.
There - I can sleep better now.