Updated Offshore Cruising Boat List - January 2008 - Page 12 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009

OsmundL is on a distinguished road
While I'm in the grumpy mode: on closer inspection, the list seems to be more a list of second-hand boats, rather than current efficient designs? The high count of USA-builds on the list is only apparent; judging by your "*" a full 43 of the US builds are out of business. I too have had a nostalgic hankering for old beautiful boats, especially the long-keeled variety, but they are after all beginning to get a little long in the tooth. Buying second-hand, you should count any electronics older that 5 years as obsolete and due for complete replacement. Already there you have an expense.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for bringing those up Osmund...went to the website and they look like well built and very interesting boats. Yes...the list is from Mahina.com and does focus ONLY on fiberglass boats and has an American market bias since that is the market he sells and writes for. Not many Ovni's over here...but that doesn't mean they are not suitable...just not known here. Many older boats are featured because most people buy used and it is hard to find SMALLER boats today that are suitable for blue water cruising.
Old 02-07-2009
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnort View Post
Why no ETAP, if they're unsinkable?
Frankly speaking, I'll take an unsinkable boat any day.
Why did Titanic immediately flash into my feeble brain?

Copa -- great effort and contribution! For sheets and giggles, I entered some of the data for our boat (Vagabond 39 cutter.)

PF
Old 02-26-2009

Coghead is on a distinguished road
What about Hinterhoeller?

Certainly the Hinterhoeller Eagle 35 is a bluewater worthy boat. Where is it?
Old 03-05-2009

WattsIsland is on a distinguished road
My 1970 Cheoy Lee 36 did well for two Atlantic crossings can’t we include them as well?

John
Old 03-10-2009

SVVita is on a distinguished road
Wouldn't it be great if someone took all the resources from the internet, historical references, publications, and those from readers, and compiled a list of all the boats that have proven that they can handle bluewater travel, and the circumstances surrounding their success. Then made a nice little website to showcase it all. There are a few books out there that give some examples of boats that work, but they are by no means exhaustive, including experts lists. Maybe we need someone that doesn't really have an opinion of specific types of boats to make the list. The problem then becomes convincing everyone that the list has merit. Interesting conundrum. I guess all that anyone can do is try an research the models available to each of us and make an individual decision based on our own personal feelings combined with the experience of others. With every expert that recommends a boat, your likely to be able to find one that denounces it, for what every reason, and personal opinion runs the gamut.

Now, what do you think, a sunfish to Hawaii??? Maybe I'll ship it and take a plane.
Old 03-11-2009

WattsIsland is on a distinguished road
I think that is a great idea. I’m a new-guy to this site but I have been knocking around sailboats for about 40+ years. If someone had the time and effort, a good list could be compiled consisting of --- verified --- successful passages in any given type of boat. This would help diminish the opinion and concentrate on the facts. It would be great reading and cut down on the huge amount of research we all do when a new boat pops into the arena that most do not know. The reader could make their own decision. I have been told the Allied Seawind 30 has made 9 verified circumnavigations and only a handful of old salts know the boat (it did make the list though.

Hay the Sunfish passage would be better than the sailboard passages, which beats Ishmael floating on a coffin.

JC
Old 03-14-2009

maru657 is on a distinguished road
The Dreadnought 32 certainly seems to deserve consideration. A boat with a proven record of circumnaigations, based on the Norwegian lifeboat design. Here's a website describing some of the voyages. Voyages of Dreadnought 32 sailboats
Old 03-14-2009

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road
I just looked at the list for the first time. Undoubtedly there are some good boats for offshore work on there. Then again there are some laughable ones. Tartan 3500, uh the same boat that auto tacks in 15 knots apparent with a genoa? (I've sailed on one more than once to confirm this)No thanks. The author lists the S&S designed Yankee 30 which is the same boat as the more popular Tartan 30 which is not listed. My close friend has a Niagra 35. No way would he want to do anything in it other cruise to the Caribbean every winter. The Niagara 31 listed is a Frers design that is more suited for club racing than cruising. Pearson 422, 424. Uh, ok if you never have to sail to weather. Didn't some of the Island Packets listed have trouble with following seas? I remember reading something about it years ago.

For those talking about successful offshore passages as a criteria I submit that it is a very broad term. To some offshore passages might mean offwind tradewinds passagemaking the South Pacific. To others it might be crossing the Gulfstream and venturing into the North Atlantic. If you are considering purchasing a boat for that around the world cruise do your homework and have a good weather router and carefully consider the conditions that you will encounter.

Check this recent article out from Sailing Anarchy- scotw

"Battered Woman

We only know her as “lasergirl,” but the balls it takes to post this pic of the monster bruise she suffered during the Heineken Regatta make her our Sailor Chick of the Week. Her pole dancing ability doesn't hurt, either. Here's lasergirls report after the 35' Beneteau she was driving capsized and sank on their approach to Oyster Pond:

The boat that sank outside of Oyster Pond was Anita- a Beneteau Oceanis 343. She capsized after being struck by a 15 ft. breaking wave, in the channel entrance to Oyster Pond. I was driving the boat at the time of the accident. It was the scariest experience of my life. Luckily, all the crew are safe. My only regret is that I did not follow my instinct, which was to not attempt that approach and make the Moorings come out and skipper their boat in themselves. I saw that the boat in front of me made it, and the Moorings told me to come on in, so I figured it wasn't as bad as it looked. Boy I was wrong.

On the bright side, everyone that we met after the accident (Moorings employees, sailors, airport personnel, flight attendants etc.) were unbelievably kind and helpful. I have never felt so helpless in all my life, and it was amazing that people really stepped up to help. Thank you to all of you out there. Your kind supportive words are greatly appreciated.

I look forward to sailing in the Caribbean again. However, I will certainly be steering clear of Oyster Pond. For right now I will stick to my Laser, much easier to recover ;-)
Old 03-16-2009

shawnkillam is on a distinguished road
It would be very useful to have a "black list" ie those boats that would be poor choices for offshore and why. The why would be particularly useful.

thx sk