Updated Offshore Cruising Boat List - January 2008 - Page 14 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2009

emagin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to emagin Send a message via Yahoo to emagin
What is very valuable about the Mahina list is that Neal has looked at and/or heard about specific boat issues in order to decide what's on the list.

For example: At the recent boat show in Oakland, CA I got a chance to chat him up about why the Endeavour and S2 boats are specifically nixed in his list. He explained (I'm paraphrasing here) that due to poor workmanship...and... "they are lake boats" ... they were not really seaworthy enough to consider for bluewater passagemaking.

Mind you, this was a 1 minute exchange at a booth but it was interesting.

The other thing I learned based on his consulting people to find boats is that the North East USA and CA is a softer market (at the time) than the rest of US.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2009

MattRHay is on a distinguished road
Alberg

Any size Whitby Alberg should be on the list.
Old 06-30-2009

malonepa is on a distinguished road
Gentlemen,
I would like to recommend the Bowman 46 as an excellent blue water cruiser. I had the pleasure on an Atlantic crossing from the Canary Islands to Guadelope Fr. WI in this boat with a crossing time of 18.5 day trip. This Bowman was equipped as a yawl, not the best for a trade wind crossing, but with twin jibs and main, she maintained impressive boat speed.

Malone Williams
Richmond, Va.
Old 07-01-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
All the Bowmans from 36-58 feet are included in the Mahina list. The dash is missing in the post here! Your 46 is definitely included Malonepa and welcome aboard.
Old 08-14-2009

JackHinks is on a distinguished road
Looking for affordable Bluewater Pocket Cruiser

Hey Y'all,
I am looking for an affordable bluewater pocket cruiser. My background is racing lasers in my youth, then sailing on pearson & catalina coastal cruisers.
Like the Flicka but I'd rather put the $ towards the cruising kitty. Going solo. Have done some shorter coastal trips to Tortugas & Bahamas.
Several folks have mentioned to me some of th English built boats, like the Corribee and others. Any input? Heard some Corribees have gone trans-atlantic. Anyone know about the seaworthiness of the Newbridge boats?
Any input welcome.
Thanks
Old 08-16-2009

Marcvet is on a distinguished road
Off Shore Boats

Anther boat that meets the "I don't list Taiwan made boats" but are excellent, I own one and would trust it through anything are the Lord Nelson 35 & 41.
Marcvet
s/v Gantman
LN 35
Old 08-21-2009

TheBasses is on a distinguished road
Sorry if this question has been posed or is stupid but... In my search for a boat to make the trip from Chicago to San Diego I have become interested in the Cheoy Lee's... is there an overwhelming reason why they did not make the list? They seem to be reasonably priced and I like the look of them...
Old 09-13-2009

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
I was just checking out this old thread and I am kind of stunned that no Hans Christian models are listed. I always thought that crossing oceans was pretty much ALL they did. Am I missing something?

Mike
Old 09-13-2009

Gaudior is on a distinguished road
Mike,
I did not put the list together. I do agree w/ you about the Hans Christian models.
Additionally I would add the Discovery Yachts from Southhampton and my Passport 51.5 cc.
Gaudior

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solace, in a Crazy World
Old 10-08-2009

InspGadgt is on a distinguished road
I've been looking over this list and what is available for sale on Yacht World for several weeks now as I lurk in the forum and learn...Very very few of the actual boat models listed are for sale it seems. I have seen several from the same ship yard but different designer...Especially being in Hawaii when it comes time for me to make my purchase my options may end up being quite limited. Taking this list into account as a starting point should I be looking at the ship yard listed first then designer or the other way around?