Updated Offshore Cruising Boat List - January 2008 - Page 16 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2010

xxuxx is on a distinguished road
YES
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
NO way is a Formosa 41 a decent offshore vessel!!!!!!!!!!!
It is a relic of a bygone error!(and yes, I meant 'error') See its not hard to use large bold letters instead of a detailed argument.

Seriously, without getting into their legendary poor quality building practices, boats like these were intended to be slightly updated versions of late 19th and early 20th century cruising boats. In converting the concept from wood to glass, these boats became even heavier than the boats that they were derived from. This triggered a whole range of compromises. To begin with, since most of the extra weight was in the hulls and interior appointments, it meant that there was a reduction in ballasting from what would have been the norm historically. This meant that they could not stand up to as large a sail plan as their historic precidents would have carried and so had very small sail plans for a boat of this displacement. The decision to go to bermuda rigs aggrevated this reduced ballast related reduction in sail area. The net result were boats that could not turn in decent average passage times. To me an important factor in picking an offshore cruising boat is that it capable of reasonable passage times, if not there is a tendancy to motor more and sail less, which for me is not exactly ideal voyaging under sail.

But these are very high drag boats with lots of wetted surface and lots of windage. They need a large amount of sail area to sail even in heavy conditions but because they are relatively tender compared to their drag, it is very hard to carry enough sail to make to weather in a blow. While some might argue this is acceptable on an offshore boat, I would suggest that even offshore boats encounter lee shores and from my point of view the inability to make to weather in a blow is very much a desirable quality for a boat going offshore. While I would agree that offshore boats do not have to offer a race boat's ability to sail well in all conditions, the compromises that these boats represent would eliminate them from any list of offshore capable boats that I personally would compile.

So while I would suggest that a Formosa 41 that someone had lovingly and knowledgably restored and upgraded might make a nice live aboard, I would suggest that if your primary goal for this boat is to go offshore,you consider one of the more up-to-date offshore designs such as a Valiant 40 or Kelly-Peterson 44's.

Respectfully,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 10-15-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL, jeff, tell us how you really feel about the boat. I think this is the first time Jeff's ever used the big fonts...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-15-2010

xxuxx is on a distinguished road
Jeff.....whaaaaaaaaaa??????

Don't you know you are dissing Captain Ron's little sister boat. He sailed a Formosa doncha know!!! Captain Ron did doncha know?? The FORMOSA may be of old design but it rocks. Jeeze Jeff....you need to take a pill. Just imagine, around the world in a Formosa....just like Captain Ron! Argh!!!
Old 10-16-2010

turtlevoyager is on a distinguished road
turtleyoyager

i see nothing on the beneteau idylle 44 german frers,do you all not like these ? I love em ,have sailed many boats ,raised in the caribbean I think these boats are awesome and very well laid out,sturdy and just an all around great boat,there not on your list why not ?
Old 10-17-2010

SaltyMonkey is on a distinguished road
Curmudgeon - I will sick zee on you - watch out =)
Old 10-26-2010

Johnno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by moanasailing View Post
How about the Downeast line of boats? I have sailed my 32 across the Pacific twice and it how proved to be a worthy seagoing vessel.
I heard your boat was for sale. Where is she?

cheers
Johnno
Old 10-28-2010

surf1glide is on a distinguished road
Also (?):
H-28, Nor'Sea 27, Halcyon 27
Old 10-28-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by furrutia View Post
I would like to know about the souherlys and spirits.
Paul and Sherril, that couple that lives aboard for ages, making movies for cable tv and always moving around, crossing oceans, sold their heavy boat, and two years ago bought a new Southerly 42. I was curious about what they thought of their new boat and then saw it for sale. I thought that after all it was possible that the Southerlies didn't deserve all the good things that I have heard about them.

Then I saw that they had bought a new boat...a Southerly 49

Southerly

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-25-2010
Beneteau 411

prroots is on a distinguished road
I'm into details. I see that a Sabre 34 is on the list. Could one extend that to a Sabre 32 which is designed by the same team and built by the same manufacturer? Also there is a Sabre 34 Mk1 and Mk2. Does the list refer to one or both? The hull designs are substantially different.

By the way, I'm looking for an offshore, performance, shoal draft sailboat. Of course, getting those attributes in a single boat is certainly a tradeoff. I've kind of narrowed it down to the two boats referenced above. It will be moored in Puerto Rico with occasional 1 week trips to the Virgin Islands as well as a passage or two to and from the mainland US. My budget is <$50K. Comments anyone? Thanks
Pete