Updated Offshore Cruising Boat List - January 2008 - Page 19 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2014

xxuxx is on a distinguished road
Re: Updated Offshore Cruising Boat List - January 2008

IMHO and after 200,000 delivery miles, any production vessel can do trans-oceanic crossings without hull failure. Having said that, any production vessel can fail!! In most instances this failure is with the standing rigging or the rudder/rudder post.
I delivered an Oyster 5 years ago, beautiful, expensive vessel. Encountered gale force winds and had standing rig failure.

This list really doesn't mean a hill of beans. Buy a vessel, inspect and repair it, outfit it to offshore specifications, like the Caribe 1500 standard and enjoy the sea. Go adventure sailing, my friends!! "And bring Dos Equis"
chall03 and Don0190 like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 4 Weeks Ago

SHAO is on a distinguished road

Can't understand how a Yamaha 33' could be on this list, but not certain vintage Jeanneau models, like the Gin Fizz 37' and Sunrise 34/35'. All these boats would need some outfitting/beefing up; having just looked at a Yamaha 33 (though it's been sailed at length offshore) it's pretty marginal. Much prefer these Jeanneau's to it (for solo/short-handed sailing). Laura Dekker circumnavigated her Gin Fizz at age 15 and Alain Maignan circumnavigated his 1980s Sunrise with minimal upgrade budget (2006-07) and is preparing to circumnavigate the 'wrong way round,' next year, in the same boat. Here's an article in French on Alain, translated to English:

Alain Maignan, a world tour like no other
Thursday, October 11, 2012
bit.ly/1qlUL74

Last edited by SHAO; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:54 AM.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Mark on Camper 58

NICHOLSON58 is on a distinguished road

I searched the thread for Heritage One-Ton (Morgan designed 37'-9"). I feel this is a good candidate for the list. Older IOR design. I spent many years racing this one & in some pretty bad weather. We pushed it hard. It proved to be quite durable.
Attached Thumbnails
Updated Offshore Cruising Boat List - January 2008-heritage-1.jpg   Updated Offshore Cruising Boat List - January 2008-heritage-3.jpg   Updated Offshore Cruising Boat List - January 2008-heritage-4-ex.jpg   Updated Offshore Cruising Boat List - January 2008-heritage-5-ex.jpg