SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Updated Offshore Cruising Boat List - January 2008

308K views 218 replies 117 participants last post by  amandacian 
#1 ·
I have the updated boat list from Mahina Expeditions. The last list was dated2002 posted on the website and this is the new revised (January 2008) list. I will see if I can upload here as it is not yet available on the site.

I get an invalid file..can someone direct me how to update. It is a simple doc file.

Thanks

#30 ·
Because they are French! :D W/ M. Sarkozy now in charge, perhaps next years ratings will include one.

Seriously though...there are no Hunters, Bene's, Catalinas, Bavarias etc. on the list either so it is safe to assume that the author feels that production boats that are built and designed PRIMARILY as coastal cruisers, are not suitable for extended ocean voyaging and the wear and tear that entails over time. Remember...his list is not "can this boat cross and ocean".

#31 ·
"Oyster 42, 45, 485,49,53, 55, 56 61, 62, 63, 66, 70, 82, 100 www.oystermarine.com ENG NZL Some have
inside steering. Attractive, expensive and first class! Weak resale value and larger
models make this an excellent, though expensive choice."

Not sure I understand the idea that they are expensive but have weak resale value. Can I assume they mean expensive "if bought new"?
And why would a highly rated boat like this have weak resale value?

#33 ·
I'm a bit..

I'm a bit surprised to see many of the Ray Wall designed Camper Nicholson's but none of the Ray Wall designed Canadian Sailcraft boats. My 36T has well over 30k ocean miles and shows little to zero signs of fatigue or wear!

I'll have to agree that it's a somewhat of an incomplete list..

#34 ·
Certainly a useful list for anyone in the market for a cruising boat (such as I). I could question a few on the list (J's for cruising?) and know of a couple (Aries 32 and Fuji 32) that are not on. Apparently there never were many of these outside of Asia. Any comments on either the Aries (long keel & canoe stern) or the Fuji (cutaway forefoot long keel)?

#40 ·
224-

Welcome to sailnet... but you're basically posting off topic, and really should start your own thread about the Bendytoy... also read this post to get the most out of your time on sailnet.

You'll get much better results and not clog this thread up with off-topic material if you start your own thread.

To start a new thread, go to the forum which it belongs in, in this case "Buying a Boat" and then click on the "Forum Tools" drop down menu in the forum title bar and select "New Post".

#42 ·
List Stinks

This list stinks. Four manufacturers that have boats in the A catagory CE certification are Catalina Yachts, Beneteau Yachts, Hunter Yachts and Jeanneau Yachts. All build well and have more miles sailing around the world than any boat listed

#43 · (Edited)
BlandingFarm-

Catalina, Beneteau, Hunter and Jeanneau may have Category A EU RCD certifications, but that doesn't necessarily indicate that their boats are suitable for extended bluewater voyaging. Many of their boats which are EU RCD A certified are not suitable due to a serious lack of proper handholds, unseakindly motion, lack of tankage and stowage, etc.

From reading some of Blanding's other posts, he's whining about it because he owns a Catalina 42 that was left off the list. :)

#44 ·
Blanding... while there are a few models that might be considered Ocean Capable... the brands are not built for extended ocean cruising by their mfrs. and most have significant shortcomings. Our other moderator CD owns a Cat400 and is tech editor for the magazine and agrees with this. The Mahina guy has a few hundred thousand miles of blue water under his belt so any boat on his list is blue water capable for extended cruising. I don't agree with his leaving off my boat either...but I respect his overall knowledge and there is a reason entire brands have been left off his list and every other list of blue water boats. Exactly what are YOUR credentials that you can challenge his judgment on 3 major brands?
BTW...having owned two...I am no Catalina basher. They are great values for the $$ for what most sailors do with their boats. But I'd take my 20 year old Tayana to sea over any brand new Cat any day of the week. On the Chesapeake...I'd take the new Cat.

#46 ·
Sailingdog,

Sorry, I don't own a Catalina 42. I have been involved in manufacturing of Catalina, Beneteau, Jeanneau & Hunter and I know as a fact that if you need to add stowage, tank etc, it can be done.

If you called the owner of Catalina, he will say that his Catalina 42 can sail around the world but he will worry about the person at the wheel more than the boat.

Quit you whinning. you just upset that you paid too much money for a boat that has the same building techniques as Catalina etc.

#50 ·
Another boat which makes an excellent cruiser with a turn of speed (Same genre as a Valiant, only older & cheaper) is a Gulfstar. Generally a performance cruiser underbody (cruising fin design) but built heavy. Excellent upwind performance, a bit squirrley going down.

They also made a shoal draft long keel. One of that design, a 50' (s/v "Talion") just won the March Banderas Bay Regatta, passing many of the boats in faster classes, including multi hulls.

They are very solid, with more teak than some like, occasional blister problems, conservative rig and sail area. But surprisingly fast! A very good cruiser which will handle heavy weather (bow to the sea) is comfortable, dryer than most and will allow you to outsail the average storm.

#184 ·
its great to have diverse opinions, but when some of those opinions are based on error, then the diversity of opinions is worthless. To wit: there is only one Hughes 38 design (S&S design #1903) with several variations in interior layout, cockpit and deck design. The hull, ballast, tankage, rig (except for traveller) and engine are all the same. The Hughes 38-1, Hughes 38-2, Hughes Northstar 38, and Hughes 38-3. All are design S&S #1903.

Sailboats built by Hughes Boat Works by year on Sailboatdata.com

The differences in the draft and displacement can be explained by the transition from racing to cruising. The boat was designed as a CCA racer, but transitioned to a cruising design, with the inevitable increase in weight.

jon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.