Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
"Oyster 42, 45, 485,49,53, 55, 56 61, 62, 63, 66, 70, 82, 100 www.oystermarine.com ENG NZL Some have
inside steering. Attractive, expensive and first class! Weak resale value and larger
models make this an excellent, though expensive choice."

Not sure I understand the idea that they are expensive but have weak resale value. Can I assume they mean expensive "if bought new"?
And why would a highly rated boat like this have weak resale value?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Because people don't sell them until they've been beaten all to xxx?

That a type of endorsement.

Last edited by camaraderie; 02-12-2008 at 11:09 AM. Reason: language
Old 02-12-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
I'm a bit..

I'm a bit surprised to see many of the Ray Wall designed Camper Nicholson's but none of the Ray Wall designed Canadian Sailcraft boats. My 36T has well over 30k ocean miles and shows little to zero signs of fatigue or wear!

I'll have to agree that it's a somewhat of an incomplete list..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 02-22-2008

bobmcd is on a distinguished road
Certainly a useful list for anyone in the market for a cruising boat (such as I). I could question a few on the list (J's for cruising?) and know of a couple (Aries 32 and Fuji 32) that are not on. Apparently there never were many of these outside of Asia. Any comments on either the Aries (long keel & canoe stern) or the Fuji (cutaway forefoot long keel)?
Old 02-22-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I believe that they made up to a 35 or 37' boat in the Southern Cross line. If you like the SC31, you might want to keep an eye out for her larger sisters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentryd View Post
Thanks Camaraderie, that thread put a reality check on me. Why spend the blood,sweat and tears...and money to build a nice aluminum that some pirate or 3rd world government might like better once I start cruising the southern seas? Probably better off finding a decent salvage hull from this list and spending the next few years re-building it. Got my eye on a SC 31, just don't know if it would be big enough for me and the misses for an extended period, probably better stick w/ something in 38'-42' range. Have many hours of cruising Texas coast and bays in my Hunter 27 before I'm ready to strike out across blue water anyway. Thanks again

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-05-2008

Andy125 is on a distinguished road
Anyone have any experience with a Cal 39? The second generation from 78-82 or so..looking to liveaboard and circumnavigate with a fast, sturdy boat.
Old 03-08-2008

JacquesLangusto is an unknown quantity at this point
Columbia Challenger -older plastic boat, classic turtle-back deck, dirt cheap to repair -what like a hundred bucks for standing rigging, cramped, minimal storage. If it ends up on the marbles, so what 'the wind is free.'
Old 03-10-2008

ssmith8523 is on a distinguished road
Cal 39

Google it - I know I have seen articles on it in the last year or so, maybe in Bluewater sailing mag? Anyway, regarded as a very good value for your purpose, especially the model with the private aft stateroom.

Cal 34 1978
sv Breakaway
Old 03-11-2008

Lion35 is on a distinguished road
dang! skipped the Shannon 38? and what about the Peterson 44? I guess I'm not looking at blue water boats.
Old 03-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
224-

Welcome to sailnet... but you're basically posting off topic, and really should start your own thread about the Bendytoy... also read this post to get the most out of your time on sailnet.

You'll get much better results and not clog this thread up with off-topic material if you start your own thread.

To start a new thread, go to the forum which it belongs in, in this case "Buying a Boat" and then click on the "Forum Tools" drop down menu in the forum title bar and select "New Post".

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.