Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2000

scott9 is on a distinguished road
A good boat to learn on

Last winter I built my self a nut shell pram, and learn the basics of sailing this past summer. Now am looking for my first upgrade. I am either looking at the 14''-16'' (coronado 15), or the 20''-22''(catalina 22,J22). I am afraid that if I get the smaller boat I would not beable to take freinds out (because of the size) but yet if I get a bigger boat, I am afraid I would loose the performance. Also my budget is under 5,000. I am looking for some thing to last me 5-10 years until I get into the 25''-27'' range.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2000

RMelvin is on a distinguished road
A good boat to learn on

Scott, i think you will find that there is not much difference in cockpit size for boats in the 16'' - 20'' with 22'' being slightly longer and wider. We have a 17'' daysailor and and have had four adults on it and it was ok. We also have a 19'' typhoon and the cockpit size seems to be the same. Maybe a little wider. You could easily find either type of boat, used for under 5,000. Maybe even buy both for that price. I have seen other types like the Rhodes 19 which the cockpit seems huge and you could probably fit six people. I''ve never sailed one but I heard they are great performance boats and also have some weight to them (They have a fleet of them near me on Boston Harbor) This type may suit your needs for performance, taking out friends and for budget (used).
Will you be sailing on an inland lake or the ocean? What is your definition of performance? For some its speed others its stability under heavy weather. That might make a difference in which boat you choose. With all the different types of boats out there in that range you will be able to find one that exactly fits your needs.
Old 02-03-2001

jamesp26 is on a distinguished road
A good boat to learn on

They may be a little higher or less than 5K in some cases, but the Pearson 26 is a great starter boat. It has weekend capabilities, great handling and sturdy enough to handle a little weather. The cockpit can handle four pretty easily. Mine has a built in head.
Old 02-08-2001

jollymonjeff is on a distinguished road
A good boat to learn on

Take a look at the Bayliner Buccaneer series of sailboats. They are very inexpensive, roomy, stable easy to sail. Don''t be afraid of a larger boat than you are used to. the difference between a 14'' and a 24'' can be learned in no time. For information about the Buccaneers check out www.geocities.com/buccaneersailboats
There is a registry there where you can find the comments from people who own them and sail them. As with ANY boat, it''s best to ask the people who have them what they think. Most people will be glad to share the best and worst points about their boat.
Good luck in your search!
Jollymonjeff
Old 02-12-2001

hamiam is on a distinguished road
A good boat to learn on

As a former Pearson 26 owner, I would have to agree with the earlier post. That being said, it might be too much boat for you in terms of accommodations and such. I would take a look at the J-22, which has a huge cockpit and the J-24. Obviously, both are high performance boats.
Old 02-12-2001

paulk is on a distinguished road
A good boat to learn on

J/24 might be a good idea. Is a known commodity (unlike some others)and is widely available. It is a lot of boat, and one in your price range would likely be somewhat tired, but it would be worth fixing up if it needed some. They perform well, (especially compared to a Nutshell pram, which you could use as a tender),and they are big enough to take a bunch of people out with you, or go places over the weekend, or race, depending on what you want to do. A lot depends on where you are, the local fleets (for possible resale later) and what you want to do.
Old 02-13-2001

rbh1515 is on a distinguished road
A good boat to learn on

I can tell you a couple of boats to stay away from. First,there was a recommendation for the Buccaneer. I would definately stay away from these boats. They were not made well and don''t sail well. Thats my opinion.
About 10 years ago I bought a Flying Scot (19''). It is an old design that sails well and is very popular for racing that you can get cheap (under $5000), and they are still made. The thing I didn''t like about the boat is that it is not self bailing and can swamp--can be dangerous.
For the size range you want you of course will be looking primarily at older boats. I recommend you look at what is out there, and when you find one that looks good, go onto sailnet and ask people what they think. Also there are email lists for many sailboats, and you can join the list and ask people their opinion of the boat. Good luck. By the way,your happiest days will be when you buy the boat and when you sell the boat!!! Its true. Rob ~~~~_/)~~~~
Old 02-13-2001

hamiam is on a distinguished road
A good boat to learn on

One of the boats I learned on was a Rhodes 19. It has a tiny cabin and a large cockpit. If you don''t need to sleep aboard, this may be a good boat to start on.
Old 02-16-2001

CAPTAINDAVE is on a distinguished road
A good boat to learn on

MY SUGGESTION IS TO INVESTIGATE THE CATALINA CAPRI 22 MODEL. I HAVE OWNED THIS FOR 7 YEARS AND IT WAS MY FIRST LARGE MONOHULL. THE WING KEEL IS BEST FOR OVERALL EASE OF LAUNCHING AND LOADING (ELSE FIN FOR RACING & POINTING PERFORMANCE). THE COCKPIT IS HUGE( WITH 2 LARGE SCUPPERS) AND THE BOAT WAS DESIGNED FOR CLUB RACING SO PERFORMANCE IS BETTER THAN THE CATALINA 22. I FREQUENTLY GO OUT SOLO AND CAN HANDLE THE ENTIRE OUTING SMOOTHLY. ORIGINALLY, I WANTED A CRUISING SAILBOAT FOR LONG WEEKENDS, BUT, ALTHO THE CAPRI LACKS A GALLEY , THE BERTHS ARE COMFORTABLE AND I BRING A JUG OF H2O AND OTHER CAMPING EQPT TO MAKE UP THE DIFFERENCE.

I DON''T RACE BUT I LIKE THE PERFORMANCE FACTOR. LOOK FOR A ROLLER FURLING HEADSAIL FOR SINGLEHANDING. THE "RACE PACKAGE" EQUIPPED BOATS SEEMED TO HAVE INCLUDED THIS OPTION. SAIL MAGAZINE JUST LISTED TOP 10 BOATS AND SITED THE CAPRI 22 AS A WELL-MANNERED VESSEL. I WAS AMAZED AT THE LOW PRICE OF A NEW ONE - $200 ABOVE MY 1990''S COST.

THEY ARE QUITE POPULAR IN THE NORTHEAST, ESPECIALLY IN THE FINGERLAKES REGION OF UPSTATE NY, WHERE I LIVE. TO ME, THE J22 ( ANY J-BOAT FOR THAT MATTER) IS PURELY PERFORMANCE/RACING - AND THEIR PRICE REFLECTS THAT CAPABILITY.
MY REQUIREMENTS WERE: THAT I COULD TRAILER IN ORDER TO SAVE WINTER STORAGE AND BE ABLE TO DO MY OWN MAINTENANCE TO KEEP COSTS DOWN( THERE''S VERY LITTLE TEAK TRIM; TO HAVE SPACE TO ENTERTAIN ON DAYSAILS AND DO OCCASIONAL OVERNIGHTS. MY TRUCK IS CHEVY S-10 WITH THE 4.3L , 180HP MOTOR. THE BOAT WEIGHS 2250 + 650 FOR TRAILER WHICH FROM EXPERIENCE I COULD HAUL USING A MIN OF150 HORSEPOWER ENGINE VEHICLE - WHICH MEANT REASONABLE MPG''S WHEN I WASN''T TOWING.

ALSO I RECALL MY FIRST IMPRESSIONS OF RELATIVE STABILITY WHEN SAILING THIS SIZE CRAFT( GOOD FOR LEARNING) YET I WAS AT THE LOW END OF THE SPECTRUM(COST/SIZE) FOR BOATS WITH A CABIN(GOOD FOR NASTY WEATHER SURPRISES). GOOD LUCK AND PLEASE E-MAIL ME FOR FURTHER INFO AND SPECIFIC Q''S. I SPENT ABOUT 2 YEARS SEARCHING BEFORE DECIDING ON THE CAPRI 22 AND HAVE SEEN SOME OTHER SUITABLE MODELS.