Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2008
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
B.O.A.T. loosely translated from latin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but I would expect a survey basic to be testing of the hull for water, both by sounding and meter, and I would expect the boat to have to be out of the water several days before the bottom dries out completely. So to me any survey done in the slings is cutting a potentially very expensive corner...wet bottoms happen and the wetter they are, the harder to detect.

IMHO, paying more than expected for the survey is a good beginiing.
BOAT, an acronym for break out another thousand.
yeah..sounds about right to me for haulout, 'swingin in the sling' and (get them to change out the zincs while it's out..pay for the zincs out of pocket..(15-20 bucks iirc)), splashing her back in.
spend the jack up front and save yourself big bucks down the road.
i also believe in proactive maintenance, so what do i know...lol

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII

Last edited by sanctuarysam; 01-21-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
the wetted surface soundings and meter readings won't be worth the time to do them in your situation.
If the owner isn't paying for a pressure wash and you're very serious about the boat, consider having one done. (It all depends on the condition of the bottom when its out of the water, if its covered in growth, he won't be able to tell all that much.

He'll be looking for groundings, keel-hull joint, blisters, general bottom condition, prop, prop shaft, thru hulls, zincs, cutlass, and rudder condition.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 01-21-2008
Planning Escape....

sloveday is on a distinguished road
I guess it all revolves around how much you are spending and what level of confidence you have with the boat. I had one done on the one I bought, yup 52 ft. survey $880, haulout/pressure $560. Peace of mind knowing all is well below the waterline ... Priceless... Was it worth it? you bet... made a difference of over 10k, and a price of a rebuilt engine. I talked to at least 3 surveyors before settling on one that I felt knew what I wanted, and I can say, 14hr later. money more than well spend.
Old 01-22-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
I think there is a price point consideration however... There are plenty of articles on how to inspect a boat out there. Arranging a survey - should only be done when you actually know "this is the one"... If there is one trend I noted during this thread - survey is good (no argument) but the cost tally for each included replacing zincs and spray downs... honestly that should have already been done by the seller / broker to begin with... unless you are actually purchasing the boat - and in my opinion if it needed either - even if your heart is into the purchase - run do not walk...

Boat-Us... has several good articles on what you can do (or how to do the basics of - what a surveyor would do... ). Just like with home inspections - the inspection is as only good as the prior intermediate knowledge of the consumer - to actually question the surveyor...

I kinda hate to state this as I will get flamed - I dealt with the Real Estate in terms of flipping and selling. A Inspector / surveyor - is a critical tool secure the loan, and have the piece of mind... However, it is a good ole boy network.

There are very few "honest" people in the surveyor business. Those serious in investing pick the one that is a hard ass and actually has a bad reputation in the business... why - if a surveyor or inspector is not liked by cross-industry professionals - it will usually be because they are "too hard to work with" - which is a win for the consumer...as that translates into - "they find everything they can that is wrong".

But there is a price point to consider.. age of the vessel (older than 20 years - yep you better have a recent surveyor report to get insurance, Allstate, and the major players - do not insure 20+ yr old vessels so that means some other agency), if it is over $$$ amount - in my opinion that is usually over 15K+ a price point that where spending a 1K is worth the investment not to go there...

One can greatly alleviate the needs for a surveyor until the proper time - by getting (here is a tip for you) the previous surveyors report and using it as a checklist first.... Read up and learn what is looked for based on the provided report (plus additional stuff you glean from researching)... what? seller can not provide? hmmm well that should be a good indication nothing ever was fixed during the prior report to begin with...All boats regardless of age will have one of those surveys... and the form itself indicates everything you should look for and what was an issue prior...

To spend 3K upon boats for such - is an error on the buyers part... If you have three boats you are looking to buy, if one does not provide a surveyor report from previous inspection - then its out of your consideration. The remaining you look at and see what was fixed and you lock in on the one where the seller actually can communicate what was done...THEN YOU GET YOUR OWN surveyor ... preferably not one recommended by the yard you are setting up with, seller, or broker preference... purposely find one that is known to be a hard#@! - between what you learned from the previous reports and the surveyor you get - at least now you have the ability to ask questions, you know what is looked for... and you know that the person doing the job is doing it because they love their job - not just satisfying the need to make a sale....

Just my 2 cents on the subject....when I bought mine - I knew exactly what a surveyor would look at - I had the existing report, I questioned the owners and did a full looky - had the 'sea trial' and because it was a 25+ yr old boat - made my own decision because it was just a 10K boat... and the owners went through everything with me and provided all the info I asked for based on my research of questions to ask... had it been say a more expensive boat - would of done the same and then also had the surveyor. The point is realizing that the issues of a particular boat for sale will only be uncovered by the buyer's own research and knowledge. A surveyor alone does not mean a sound boat...

One last tip.. If you decide on purchasing a boat - and trying to get insurance and you didn't get a survey...if the last surveyor report (which owner should provide)... is within a 18 month window...you can merely fax the previous owners survey and it should be good and no need for you to shell out $800+ for a new one... I know - I did it as I was confident in my own research and went through the survey personally...Insurance accepted it..saved me the $$$...(then again I had a 10K boat)

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by artbyjody; 01-22-2008 at 03:02 AM.