Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2008

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Argh, why do I let these forums always scare me off. The boat sold in the time I was wringing my hands on whether to take action or not. Guess $30k for a 40' cruiser was just too good to be true.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2008

starboardyacht is on a distinguished road
I took a look at the advert for this boat,(owner lived in wa. boat in fla) then looked at what they were being offered for on yachtworld and when you add all the stuff this boat appeared to need you would have been better off buying well maintained boat for less $$$$. Sorry to hear it got away , if you really wanted it but plenty more out there, good luck.............
Old 02-01-2008

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by starboardyacht View Post
I took a look at the advert for this boat,(owner lived in wa. boat in fla) then looked at what they were being offered for on yachtworld and when you add all the stuff this boat appeared to need you would have been better off buying well maintained boat for less $$$$. Sorry to hear it got away , if you really wanted it but plenty more out there, good luck.............
Can you point me to what else is out there...in similar price range and size/quality.
Old 02-01-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Argh, why do I let these forums always scare me off. The boat sold in the time I was wringing my hands on whether to take action or not. Guess $30k for a 40' cruiser was just too good to be true.
nightowl...get the name of the guy who bought it.,...you'll be able to buy it cheaper from him in 6 months!
Old 02-01-2008

Quote:

E-BAY Motors/Sailboats

Nice Cal 36 $25000 Buy It Now

Nice S&S 38... current bic $5000

Certified Yacht Sales
Gulfstar 52 needs a little work $26000 + or -

they are out there
Old 02-03-2008
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
nightowl...get the name of the guy who bought it.,...you'll be able to buy it cheaper from him in 6 months!
The buyer appears to be Alex Dorsey. He's the fellow on projectbluesphere.com
He needs to change the site to "How to not ever manage to circumnavigate." He's been at it six years and well, he's starting over. Supposed to go see the boat this week. The engine turns easily by hand, dead batteries. Go figure.
I agree. In a boat like what's described, I'd rather hold out for a better example, or snag something a bit smaller like the saweet! 35' Allied Seabreeze that went for $14,900 on eBay last week.
Old 02-04-2008

snider is on a distinguished road
Live for the journey, not the destination!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze_97 View Post
He needs to change the site to "How to not ever manage to circumnavigate." He's been at it six years and well, he's starting over. .
Well, If I was circumnavigating, I'd want it to take forever too.
What's the hurry?
If you read his site you'll see it's more about lifestyle, not just sailing around the world.

It'll be intersting to follow his progress on the boat. We'll see if it was a good buy or not.
Old 02-04-2008
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snider View Post
Well, If I was circumnavigating, I'd want it to take forever too.
What's the hurry?
If you read his site you'll see it's more about lifestyle, not just sailing around the world.

It'll be intersting to follow his progress on the boat. We'll see if it was a good buy or not.
I do read the website. The guy changes direction every three days. He seems nice enough, but come on. He started out with one goal, to sail around the world. Period. Somehow, I don't think his sponsors (the corporate ones, at least) had the idea they'd be supporting his lifestyle discovery voyage. Buy a boat, fix it up, sail into the Pacific, sell the boat, go to Japan, pine away about sold boat. Buy another boat after aborted idea for charter boat business. Start over.

Last edited by seabreeze_97; 02-04-2008 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-10-2008
Banned

Quote:
Looks like you saved yourself a lotta work. Initial reports are of a few blisters and lots of leaks.......on dry land. I mean, if you're looking at low entry price and high sweat equity, it's probably a good deal, but it's a total restoration from what's being described.
Old 02-10-2008

After a boat you thought you wanted sells, its easy to kick yourself and see only the good points. i've missed a couple boats i had foamed at the mouth for, only to find another one i liked better the next week.....

Its weird but i think when i come across THE BOAT, the stars will line up, i will see it and know without any dout its the one. Of course thats what friends said about THE GIRL, and it never happened, but boats are different,,,,...... right?