Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
It was for me. Even all mussed up and a total mess, in a yard full of boats, one look, and I was hooked.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2008

starboardyacht is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze_97 View Post
It was for me. Even all mussed up and a total mess, in a yard full of boats, one look, and I was hooked.

THE BOAT or THE GIRL?????
Old 02-11-2008
Banned

The boat. :-P A lot like a pretty girl having a really bad day.
Old 02-11-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Given the information above, at what price would the boat have to be to warrant making the 1 1/2 hour drive (each way) to check it out? A gut feel would be good. After all, how often do you see a 40' ketch on the market?
Dude, How long you been at this? A boat an hour and half from you is in your backyard. ;-)

I'm just looking for a decent 34-36 foot bay boat that I can afford and I'm to the point of considering 7 hour drives to look at a group of boats.
Old 02-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze_97 View Post
The boat. :-P A lot like a pretty girl having a really bad day.
Man, i know exactly what you mean, really well put..... but now you got a tell "the rest of the story"..... what kind of boat, where, when... all the juicy details
Old 02-12-2008
Banned

Ahhh, it's just one of those things. I'd only been sailing a couple times in my life (a real sin for a coastal resident). Couldn't tell you a Catalina from a Pearson, or anything else. It'd just never been on the short list. We had a bass boat when I was a kid. That's all I ever knew. Summer 2005 I took pictures of the beach, saw Ship Island, and went out on one of the Biloxi Schooners. Something just told me I better do those things. Then Katrina hit. Fast forward 5 months. My dad knew a dealer and we'd heard about the staging grounds for Salvage Direct in Gulfport, MS. Sooooo, there was this one boat on AOL, from Ocean Springs. She was called Irish Eyes. I think she was a Pearson 32. Figured we'd go gawk, and check that boat out. Ultimately, I did see that boat, and saw some interior water damage (deck leaks) that the pics didn't show. So we were wandering around and I happened to catch a glimpse of the bow of another boat. Just glanced around at the right time, like she'd called out, "Help. Get me out of here please." I just stopped. "Wait, what's that?" She was a mess (really bad hair day-shrouds dangling), but in spite of that, her lines just grabbed me. I was instantly smitten. She had a "for sale" sign (against the rules, but there it was). The fellow who'd bought her had gone a little crazy, and was deep in boats that he was gonna be paying storage for, because he couldn't move them out fast enough, and the transporters were getting top dollar. I saw all the paperwork, he didn't make $200 bucks over what he'd paid, but it was one less boat to contend with. Short of a lottery win, I have to build things up, so she was the perfect candidate. Then the education really started. I had so much to learn before I was even willing to mess with anything. I reeeeeaaaally didn't need another project...plenty looking at me since the storm. Kinda hoped Dad and I would have some quality time working on her, but it didn't work out that way. This March will be a year since he passed away, so I've had an on/off history so far. I have managed to assemble info on Bristol 32's and Bukh engines, some key parts (mast), and some online connections, as well as getting my keelboat diploma. Oh, and had a few dust-ups with Jeff H. :-) Actually found a Bristol 34 website (curious about differences in the rig) by accident. Turns out he was 3 slips over from my boat. He even sent a pic of my boat after Katrina, still in her slip, albeit, dismasted. Kinda eeeerie. She was roughed up, but still on her lines, nicely afloat.

Now, having never sailed by my own hand when I got her, nor done any sort of work or maintenance on a boat, I must be nuts......or under her spell. I always jump in way over my head, so it fits, though I really didn't think I'd be buying a sailboat then, or any time after. Anyway, she patiently waits as I meander. From what I have read, she will track better than I do.

As I alluded, she's a Bristol 32. She has been named "Second Hand Rose" and "Seraphim". Being a "Firefly" fan, I'm naming her "Serenity"....despite the personal garment angle. Heck, the first time I lose sight of land, I'll probably need a personal garment. Anyway, that's my story.
Old 02-12-2008

always liked all the Bristol's. very worthy of your efforts, what ever given she will more than return.. Sorry for your loss, all the more reason to bring Serenity, back... I've got a Bukh in my boat, very dependable but parts are pricey, last time i got parts i bought them from a canuk co. and saved $$$$. I think they order them direct from denmark and drop ship. Best of luck and thanks, i enjoyed your story..... nice writting style
Old 02-13-2008
Banned

Hmmm, canuk co., huh? Will have to check that out, and, thank you.
Old 02-14-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Nightowl

Quoteude, How long you been at this? A boat an hour and half from you is in your backyard. ;-)

I almost died laughing on that one...Ditto...You need to get serious before you start looking for a boat...an hour and a half drive come on...we commute to work here in Seattle that much every day...If you have to fly there to look at it then fly there...

There are times in our lives where we do have to act quickly or loose out...this does not sound like one of them though from what has been reported...But next time you find a boat that tickles your fancy...GO LOOK AT IT...Tie it up contingent to survey and sea trial...Then start asking all your questions...There will be another flood of well meaning advice for you to wade through...but ultimately it will be your decision and yours alone..

There are many boats out there with your name on them you just have to find them very rarely do they find you....Keep looking you'll find her...The problem is the next week you'll find her again.
Old 02-14-2008
Banned

From what I'm seeing, it's just as well he missed out on this one...unless he wanted a major project.