Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2008

RichardM is on a distinguished road
Pearson 323: A good choice for the Chesapeake Bay?

I'm considering a Pearson 323 for sailing on the Chesapeake Bay.

She is very well equipped and maintained, but I wonder about her suitability for the light airs we have in the summer. At 12,000 pounds, she is heavier than a lot of boats in this size range. Is she likely to be in the middle of the pack in terms of speed or toward the rear? I don't plan to race her, but also don't want to have to motor constantly in light air.

Any thoughts, especially from owners, would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2008

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I am a big fan of the 323 for people who live in windier venues and who want to do a proportionately large amount of cruising relative to daysailing. That said they are a poor choice for the Chesapeake where light air sailing ability is important and a little bit of performance under sail makes a very big difference in the number of your choices for cruising destinations.

Jeff
Old 01-26-2008
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Richard, the Chesapeake is chock full of happy P-323 owners. To reach some of them, post your question on either the Sailnet Pearson email list, or join the Pearson email group on Yahoo. There has been a lot of traffic on both about the 323 lately. Also, check out www.pearson323.net for information. The boat is no speed demon in light air, but it moves nicely from what I hear. But get the information from the owners directly.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 01-27-2008

RichardM is on a distinguished road
Thank you for the replies

Thanks for the help on my boat choice. I'm going to have a look at a 323 on Tuesday.

Richard