Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2008

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Survey Complete: Rival 34

Hi, all.

The survey was done on the boat we have the accepted offer on today. It's a 1973 Rival 34 called Southern Rival. It was a good day.

What's interesting about this boat is the process that went into finding her. In many cases, it seems like there's one sailor in the family who is passionate about sailing, and the boat is either that person's choice or a compromise with a spouse.

In our family, the interest and passion about sailing is about equal between my wife and I, yet we also have eight and ten year olds with their own ideas about sailing and cruising, so their opinions are important as well. As a result, we had to find a boat that would be exciting and engaging for everyone in the family-- a four-way success.

We looked at newer boats, older boats, big boats and small boats. This boat is about 15 years older than I thought we'd seriously consider, but the maintenance and upkeep is probably the best of what we've seen. Thus, the "age" question took a second seat to systems and maintenance.

Secondly, we had to think long and hard about size. We wanted a boat to cruise on across the channel, but not so big that the mooring and maintenance costs would destroy the cruising kitty. We wanted a safe, sea worthy boat, even if that meant it was medium to heavy displacement (and the chop is pretty common and considerable around here). We didn't need a "round the world for four" boat yet, and maintaining one for years in advance of crossing oceans didn't make sense. We also wanted a boat that was simple enough to easy leave the dock for a day sail.

Finally, it also didn't make sense (for some weird, hard-to-explain reasons) to just charter boats. (Maybe we really need a boat to go spend weekends on a couple of times a month, even if the weather prevents leaving the slip).

Anyway, the sea trial is next weekend. Here's a photo gallery of from today's survey:

http://www.photos.sailingvoyage.com/v/album_021/

And here's some photos from that gallery:

Two points of clarification:

1) Her name comes from her shipyard (Southern Marine in Southampton, England) and her model range (Rival).

2) The decks are gray, as they were originally, because she was designed as a long-range ocean cruiser. The decks are gray to reduce glare on tropical seas. More than a few Rivals have circumnavigated and done long-range cruising.

Thanks, and I'll let you know how the sea trial goes, if the weather permits, next weekend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aurora, a mighty Cal 20 (Portland, OR)
Southern Rival, a seasoned Rival 34 (Gosport, UK)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2008

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
Excellent!
Old 01-26-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Nice looking boat! Congrats and best of luck with her.
Old 01-26-2008
Montgomery 17

Perithead is on a distinguished road
Good, glad you got that over with Jim.

What did the surveyor say about the boat? Did he like it? Any problem areas on the boat? Give us some details. Was the surveyor nice? Explain everything he did to you?

When I has my survey done last week, we did the seatrial and survey the same day at the same time. I thought this is how it was done. Is the surveyor going to join in on the sea trial also?

I didnt get to go to my boat this weekend because all of the paperwork isnt done with our boat. We sent the check Wednesday but the story I got of why I couldnt use the boat this weekend is......... Well, they realy didnt give me a good reason! It is so agrivating!

Glad you had your survey though and I hope you get on your boat soon if you do decide to buy!

Sailing Videos, Woodworking Videos and More!
Old 01-26-2008

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perithead View Post
When I has my survey done last week, we did the seatrial and survey the same day at the same time. I thought this is how it was done. Is the surveyor going to join in on the sea trial also?
Hi,

I'll post more details about the survey once the seatrial and documentation of the boat is reviewed. The surveyor won't be joining me on the sea trial, because we carried out the engine tests today.

One thing I will note that was interesting. The surveyor used a "roller" today on the fiberglass instead of tapping it with a hammer:

The sound the roller made directly showed where the ballast was and was not in the keel, for example. It could also reveal where there were voids and repairs, and the bow and leading edge of the keel presented a nice, uniform tone from the roller.

I thought this was cool, because it was easier for me to interpret than the tapping done by my last surveyor on my last boat. Also, he claimed that a local top GRP boat designer and others don't like the "tapping with the hammer" routine because it can affect the glass fibers in the fiberglass itself. I don't know if I buy this, but it would be ironic if tapping your entire hull and topsides could actually reduce its strength and longevity.

I don't have many interior pictures from today, but I have a photo gallery from the first visit to the boat that does:

http://www.photos.sailingvoyage.com/v/album_018/

Here's an interior pic:

I hope you get aboard your Watkins 29 soon. I am expecting photos and a report from your first sails.

Aurora, a mighty Cal 20 (Portland, OR)
Southern Rival, a seasoned Rival 34 (Gosport, UK)

Last edited by Jim H; 01-26-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-26-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Very pretty lines. The best of luck wih her.
Old 01-26-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Congratulations.. she looks like a nice boat...

As for the tapping, unless your surveyor is tapping a hell of a lot harder than most of the ones I know are, the tapping shouldn't have any affect on the life of the GRP. He shouldn't be tapping hard enough to damage the laminate.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-26-2008

bogdog is on a distinguished road
Wow
What a salty looking boat! Very nice. Looks like lots of wood down below too. Enjoy. DS
Old 01-26-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
JimH,

Nice boat! Sure brings back memories for me. The family resemblance -- right down to the liferaft and grey decks -- with the Rival 38 I cruised aboard is almost uncanny. They were built for the rough North Sea and the Channel, and if she behaves anything like her older sister, I can attest that she won't let you down when things get snotty. I look forward to hearing some trip reports as you get your sea legs with her.

Congratulations!
Old 01-26-2008

snider is on a distinguished road
That's great!

I've been looking at a Rival 34. Sleeping on it for awhile. Listed on Yachtworld for $44,000. One thing that has caused me hesitation is that the hull has some blisters. Have you noticed this on your boat? It seemed like a nice boat the other day when I went aboard, I hope you'll be happy.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.