Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008
Just another stop...

Bardo is on a distinguished road
I am still looking for my E-34 dream boat. I knnow that she is out there somewhere.....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2008

64dartgt is on a distinguished road
Phrf

I don't know if performance is important, but the E28+ is the faster boat per the US PHRF site's ratings by almost 15 points.

Sabre has great build quality and is in fact still in business. However, due to the offset prop they are supposed to be a bit of a bear in reverse.

Don't forget the basics...that the price of a used sailboat is highly dependent on if it has a diesel...preferably recent or recently rebuilt...and good / a lot of sails. The need to replace either can make what seems like a great price not so great.

The number one rule though is buy what you like. Check them both out...but don't buy something you don't like and/or can't live with.

To me the Tartan is beautiful...but I finally got around to oiling my teak the third year I had my boat. That's me...but up here in New England the season is darn short...sounds crazy but most years all the boats aren't in until July 4th...no kidding...July..and they are out by mid October. It is amazing, but true. Snow stops flying...it finally stops raining...pull all the lawn furniture out...clean up the lawn from winter...then its paint the bottom, wax the hull, reload all your junk and then splash...its July.

Don't get me wrong...I love teak...but not gray teak...and unfortunately between working and working around the house...a Tayana with teak decks is something to be admired...but from a distance.

It is one of the things that has kept me from upgrading to date...lack of time...a reluctant Wife...and knowing that I can do anything on my 25 footer by myself in a day. Last year we washed her, painted her bottom, loaded everything aboard and waxed her in a day. I even cleaned and oilled her teak (hand rails, trim around the companionway and around the sliding hatch). I hoped to apply another coat in the water...but it didn't happen...went sailing instead. Much more fun!

Bob
Old 02-01-2008

murph535 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to look at both and I'll let you know what I find out/do.
Old 03-01-2008
Partially hydrated Member

sanjuan2R is on a distinguished road
Ericson vs. Tartan

If you want a floating condo, buy the Tartan.

If you want a fast, comfortable racer/cruiser, then choose the Ericson.

You will never look back...
Old 03-10-2008
David M. Coleman

DavidColeman3 is on a distinguished road
I've owned Peace & Joy, a 1985 Tartan 28 for 2 years now, but I've known this particular vessel for almost 15 years. She is beautifully appointed and exceedingly well constructed. The former owner took many racing trophies over the years. I bought the vessel his widow; he was a good friend and we raced against each other many times (at that point I had a vintage lean-mean-Alden-designed 1929 racing classic); we usually split the wins and together usurped most of the rest of the fleet.

I would not under any circumstances call her a 'floating condo' ... she is nimble, points very well, and can nicely hold her own if a PHRF-rated fleet. Construction and design-wise I've always placed the Tartans on a distinctly higher plane than say the Ericksons, Hunters, Pearsons, etc.

My wife isn't crazy about sailing, but is comfortable aboard the Tartan; it's not too bad to single-hand either.

Nothing negative about the Erickson (especially since I've never sailed one), but I can echo great accolades about the T28.
Old 03-10-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
David...welcome!...I agree, the 28 is no Condo! Quality of the older Tartans is unquestioned. The recent problems of the company and the change in ownership do raise some concerns about current and recent production and warranty support going forward that have not been answered fully.
Old 06-08-2008

adavid is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cio12 View Post
I do own an Ericson 28 (1988) version and have found the make to be of solid build quality.

Three quick comments. 1) I've owned the boat for two years and have successfully avoided buyers remorse so far. 2) I've had three previous E28 owners walk by on the dock and each one of them has told me that their E28 was one of their favorite boats. 3) There is a healthy on-line community of Ericson owners at ericsonyachts.org.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.
Hi-
I am looking to purchase an '87 Ericson 28, and saw your post. I have a few questions that maybe you can help out with.

1. What speed do you cruise at while powering? Do you find the 10 hp Universal too small?

2. I have lots of experience with sailing fractional-rigged J-boats. It is very easy on those to just sail around with the main, and actually make progress to windward. How is the E28 with just the main?

3. Have you ever had any blistering problems on the bottom. Do you have barrier coat applied?

I have looked at (2) '87s and will see a third tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes?

Thanks,
Andy