Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2008
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Sabre 30 mk 1/2--any reviews online?

Hey folks,
Could anyone please direct me to a good (as in thorough) review (or reviews) of the MKI/II Sabre 30? I can't seem to find one--Boat US and Practical Sailor don't have one on that boat, and the archives here haven't turned up much besides mentioning the boat. I find plenty of reviews/info on the 28 and the 34, but would like to get some perspective on the 30.

If anyone has some personal experience with the Sabre 30, that's great too, but I don't want to make you repeat what's already out there if it exists. If it matters, I'm on the Chespeake Bay. As some of you may recall from my other posts, I'm an experienced sailor just beginning the search for my first boat.
Thanks as always!
-J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
It is featured in May/June 2002 issue of Good old Boat magazine but not on line. Back issues are available.
Old 01-28-2008
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
It is featured in May/June 2002 issue of Good old Boat magazine but not on line. Back issues are available.
Thanks for the info, camaraderie. I'll order the back issue then.
-J
Old 01-28-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
You might also try a local library to see if they carry GOB too. Not sure that I would trust mine to carry this rag, but many other rags are carried. Some branches have more than others. Listings may be found online too!

marty
Old 01-31-2008
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
how about mkIII info

Quote:
Originally Posted by josrulz View Post
Hey folks,
Could anyone please direct me to a good (as in thorough) review (or reviews) of the MKI/II Sabre 30? I can't seem to find one--Boat US and Practical Sailor don't have one on that boat, and the archives here haven't turned up much besides mentioning the boat. I find plenty of reviews/info on the 28 and the 34, but would like to get some perspective on the 30.

If anyone has some personal experience with the Sabre 30, that's great too, but I don't want to make you repeat what's already out there if it exists. If it matters, I'm on the Chespeake Bay. As some of you may recall from my other posts, I'm an experienced sailor just beginning the search for my first boat.
Thanks as always!
-J
if you don't mind some perspective from a sabre 30 mkIII owner, i might be able to help you.
most of the differences between models are mostly cosmetic i think. i will say the one thing i like about my boat, is the engine access. i can pull the whole companionway steps away to expose the engine. this is much more convenient than my sis's 34 mkI, and a huge benefit when you need to get in there and wrestle stuff.
my boat sails like a dream, and will walk away from said sister's boat. they have the k/cb config, and i can point much higher, however, they can go places i can't w/ a 5'3" draft.
any other questions, just pm me..i keep my boat on the lower chesapeake btw.

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII
Old 02-03-2008
Unpaid Intern

Thanks for the info/thoughts Sam. It's an interesting discussion, because in my limited observations it appears that the Sabre 30 MkIII is often around a similar price point as the Sabre 34 MkI. It goes to the age-old discussion, when looking at used boats, do I go with newer and smaller, or older and larger? Hmmmm.

I'm in the upper half of the Chesapeake, and I think that a 5'3" draft may be a bit much in my area. I really need to be under 5 feet.

As I look at more boats, I might indeed PM you to ask some questions about Sabres, so I really appreciate the offer.
Thanks!
-J
Old 02-04-2008

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Either Sabre is a good choice. We have a 35 C&C k/c. I also am in the northern Chesapeake in Rock Creek on the Patapsco. We venture everywhere virtually within a weekend of here regularly. 5 feet would not be my deepest draft window....I would go more for 6. We have a keel/ centerboard which gives great flexibility. Some Sabres/ Tartans and C&C have this in some models. It offers the flexibility of the shallow draft feature with good pointing ability and the stability and ability to reef later when the wind pipes up. Given the choice I would go for the larger older Sabre if it surveys well. The extra comfort of the 4 feet length and inches on the beam makes a huge difference as does the weight in heavier winds. Most Sabres are quick well constructed boats with top end rigging and winches.

Also it is hard to beleive a 30 MKIII will walk away from a 34 MKI in any wind as the phrf rating of both boats are the same. I imagine that the sailor on the 30 is more adept than the 34. If abilities were equal the opposite should happen. As the wind increases the 30 will need to reef sooner if for no other reason than the centerboard down will give the 34 greater righting moment.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-04-2008
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
shhhhhh..it's our little secret

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Either Sabre is a good choice. We have a 35 C&C k/c. I also am in the northern Chesapeake in Rock Creek on the Patapsco. We venture everywhere virtually within a weekend of here regularly. 5 feet would not be my deepest draft window....I would go more for 6. We have a keel/ centerboard which gives great flexibility. Some Sabres/ Tartans and C&C have this in some models. It offers the flexibility of the shallow draft feature with good pointing ability and the stability and ability to reef later when the wind pipes up. Given the choice I would go for the larger older Sabre if it surveys well. The extra comfort of the 4 feet length and inches on the beam makes a huge difference as does the weight in heavier winds. Most Sabres are quick well constructed boats with top end rigging and winches.

Also it is hard to beleive a 30 MKIII will walk away from a 34 MKI in any wind as the phrf rating of both boats are the same. I imagine that the sailor on the 30 is more adept than the 34. If abilities were equal the opposite should happen. As the wind increases the 30 will need to reef sooner if for no other reason than the centerboard down will give the 34 greater righting moment.

Dave

well, truth be told i have been sailing quite a bit longer than my b-i-l, and as such am able to tweak a little more from my boat than he can.
the major differences in the boat (aside from the 4' )..his cockpit is larger, and his head is more spacious (very welcome when you are decked out in foulies and have to hop on the pot... )
i also have an unfair advantage;i have an asymm, he does not, so in those light air days, well, that's where i can walk away from him..granted, going downwind, he can pull his board up and gain back some advantage.
i would not however trade our engine access, my steps pull completely away, he has to contend with a less desirable set-up.
without going to the sabre site, i think our beams are identical, although i could be wrong (won't be the first or last time)...
bottom line, if you can find a well maintained 30 and it fits in your budget, snatch it up..

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII
Old 02-04-2008

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
So you admit it...lol...you are the better sailor. We like the Sabres. One of the boats on our short list for the next one is the 42 or 45 k/c. They still have the great performance the 30 foot ranges have with good craftmanship.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-04-2008
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
5 feet would not be my deepest draft window....I would go more for 6. We have a keel/ centerboard which gives great flexibility.
Hi Dave, I should elaborate to say that 5 feet is my max fixed draft, so a K/C with less than 5 with the board up (common) and much deep with it down would be fine. I live in a community with slips, and some of them are on the shallower side, so I want to make sure I can use them (since the price is right).

I've really more recently become interested in Sabres, when I started to realize that you can get one that's just a few years older than a comparable Catalina or Beneteau for about the same price. I figure if a boat is 20 years old, it might as well be 24 years old. At that point, the maintenance and condition is way more important than the age.

I think the next step really is to take a look at some Sabres in person. That will tell me what I need to know, I'm sure.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.