Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Wait...we're forgetting Dr. Phil's advice:
Get a Gemini 105 Catamaran...the best boat for anything!

Gotcha covered now Chuckles!
Old 01-31-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Cam - No it's not. It's the best boat for most things.

Practical Sailor is doing a review of 30ish boats from the 70's, all the ones mentioned here are in there. If you don't subscribe - get it (february and March) it's a two parter and they do 6 boats per month.

Pearson and Catalina are in Feb's - and like most boats they are all compromises ( the compromise on my boat is I have to put up with halfboats saying my boat isn't a boat).

My buddy had a Catalina 22, I learned to sail on it; then I went to Hunter31 while he went to a Catalina 30 (both 1986's). Personally, for my tastes, sailing area, uses - Hunter31 kicked the Catalina to the road side in all important aspects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2008
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
What's your budget? I've shopped the $10k-$15k 25'-30' segment a bit over the last couple of years. My favorites in that category for two adults and two kids for cruising are: Catalina 27, Sabre 28, Islander 28.

For whatever reason, it seems 30' or more gives a substantial price jump for intial costs, slip fees, upkeep, upgrades, etc. The 27/28 footers I mentioned above seem to have very similar layouts to their ~30' counterparts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-31-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Looks like the folks on Sailnet are ready to help... We could help you determine a realistic budget for your adventure and guide you in a general direction.

Some further information from you would be helpful:

1) Where are you planning on sailing?
2) How old are your children?
3) What are your repair/maintenance skills? (Electrical, Engines, General Mechanical)
4) What is your approximate budget?

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 01-31-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Loualfr,

I have to be honest with you, I don't know for sure what "sailtime" is. But if it's one of those timeshare boat club arrangements, I have to say I'm not particularly keen on them for family sailing. At one point we considered similar offerings in our area, but after reflecting how we use our boat we realized it wouldn't be a good fit for us.

As you know, when sailing with kids there are a lot of concessions that have to be made with respect to safety and comfort. We concluded that we needed to be able to set-up our boat in whatever way we deemed fit to accommodate our kids, including safety features and gear (toys, games, dinghies, kayaks, etc). We wouldn't have been able to do that in a time-share arrangement, or if we could have it would have meant schlepping heaps of stuff back and forth for each sail. Equals= not much sailing.

Just something to think about.
Good point John, the other thing I have seen with time share, is that people go out when they shouldn't be.
I see it all the time. A group or family comes down to the boat. Its blowing like stink and the lake is a nasty mess, but it's thier time to be on the water and the next time they are scheduled to have the boat could be weeks away. So, they go out when the prudent boater is probably going to sit it out in the harbor.
With the time share, your going to use the boat no matter what, not always the safest decision.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 01-31-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmt View Post
Loualfr - I'm married with three children ages 10 and under. We've considered Sailtime in the past but note that, in addition to the concerns identified by JohnRPollard, synching up appropriate sailing weather for my wife and kids with scheduled time on the boat is often a challenge. If there is a nice day with 15 kts of breeze, we want to get out there (with kids). That may not be a scheduled day with Sailtime. The flip side is that you may find that on your scheduled day with Sailtime it is blowing 30 kts with 8 to 10' seas. Less than ideal for three kids.
See, my point exactly.
An expert in the area of sailtime who agrees with me.
This has got to be a first.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 01-31-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
See, my point exactly.
An expert in the area of sailtime who agrees with me.
This has got to be a first.
What's that TJK, that someone agrees with you, or that an expert agrees with you?
Old 01-31-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
What's that TJK, that someone agrees with you, or that an expert agrees with you?
Both.........

Old 01-31-2008

Loualfr is on a distinguished road
thanks for all the replies, was what I was thinking overall. my kids are 3 year old twins, dtr is much more adventurous than my son right now. I really want to get them used to the boat and water. The cal is a fun boat but very tender, we keep it in a mooring and do mostly river daysailing. I'd like to get into something we can cruise for a day, something with a head on it and also I'd like both my wife and myself to get used to handling a larger boat. I think I'll start looking for a Catalina 30 or slightly smaller Pearson or Hunter. I'm partial to the Tartan's/Pearsons/ Sabres but seems like the Catalina might be more kid friendly and more for the money. does not appear that the increase in cost for mooring fee and maintenance is as much as the fee for sailtime.
Old 01-31-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loualfr View Post
..tender
There is a dramatic difference in the Cat 22 versus the Cat 27's btw - they (27s) are typically heavier ballasted and my experience with mine - it would handle a blow quite well....

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.