Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
There is a dramatic difference in the Cat 22 versus the Cat 27's btw - they (27s) are typically heavier ballasted and my experience with mine - it would handle a blow quite well....
Any of the boats you listed would probably be fine. One thing to consider is that I've had a Catalina 27, then a 22, and now a 30. The 27 was a lot more fun to sail than the 30. The 30 is large enough that it becomes a "systems management" task in addition to a sailing task.

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by djodenda View Post
Any of the boats you listed would probably be fine. One thing to consider is that I've had a Catalina 27, then a 22, and now a 30. The 27 was a lot more fun to sail than the 30. The 30 is large enough that it becomes a "systems management" task in addition to a sailing task.
I'll second that - my buddies 22 Catalina was a jump on, stow the beer, drop the O/B and go boat (keep in the water, not trailered).

His Catalina 30 is a drop by on friday to clean, stow, charge, check, fix, and prepare and if it all works he'll find a crew and go out on saturday boat.

On the other hand, it's stable enough his wife will go with him. She used to freak at 5 degrees heel, now she's good to 15 degrees (then transfers to my boat for the rest of the day).
Old 01-31-2008

msimpson1319 is on a distinguished road
I had a Catalina 250 before upgrading to a Catalina 310. Catalina has pulled the line to concentrate on the 309. From what I've seen, the 309 is a good overall replacement for the Catalina 30 and 310 - something to consider. Decent price, good systems, and enough room above and below for four people to tolerate each other for a weekend.
Old 01-31-2008

centralFLsailor is on a distinguished road
I have two kids 2yrs and 8 yrs, and the Catalina 30 has been great because it has a lot of space for a 30 and has been easy to sail. We went from a 25' to a 30' and have not regretted it. While it is not a high performance boat, I can singlehand with little difficulty and the family has a lot of fun on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-01-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A Catalina or Pearson 30 is a good boat for what you want to do. I wouldn't go with fractional ownership myself, since it really leaves you at the mercy of the other owners...who may or may not trash the boat when they use it. Also, on a fractionally owned boat, you can't leave things on the boat, so you're prep time to go sailing is a lot greater... instead of being able to hop on the boat and go out for an afternoon sail, you might have to spend an hour getting the boat ready to go, and then only get in an evening sail. Also, you might not be able to schedule the boat for the days you want, since the other owners may well want those days as well. Holiday weekends, like the Fourth of July would be particularly difficult. Owning your own boat, even if it is an older one, makes far more sense, especially since you also have to fit the kids schedules into the sailing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-01-2008

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
If I had to choose a boat in this size and price range I would strongly recommend the Tartan 30 over your other choices. The Tartan 30 was far better built, came far better equipped as standard, and was a far superior sailing boat in all conditions as compared to Pearsons, Catalinas etc being surggested.

I also want to echo the suggestion that if you can afford it, you will probably come out way ahead in the long run buying a boat vs timeshare. Time share really only works well for people with very limited time to sail and who do not want the responsibilities of maintenance and ownership. To this day, I truly value the time that I shared growing up with my family sailing on my family's boat, and time working beside my Dad maintaining the family boats. The days spent together on the boat forged a strong bond; a bond that held through my teenage years and has held to this day 46 years after we began sailing.

Good luck,
Jeff
Old 02-01-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
OP has twins.........hmmmmm........I'm sorry, it does get easier as they get older! Just remember twins are two time the work, and four times the fun. Even when 9 months old, both have the trots, and you go thru 500+ diapers that week!

There are MANY boats in the 28-32' range, that cn be had for $15-25K and will work well. Ericson, Islander, jeanneaus,Benateaus, Hunters, Catilinas, Cal, Pearson, J boat, san juan,........list can go on and on. It will depend on ho well they are kept up, "ran hard, put away wet!" ie raced, vs cruised/day sailed. I found an older 85 Jeanneau Arcadia, 30' long, original owner, well taken care of overall. I have done a bunch of up grading, but overall, a fairly roomy boat for being a small 30' boat. Along with being reasonably fast for her size. I ws not looking initially at Jenneau's, but saw one locally on the local yachtworld equal, looked at her, spouse fell in love, boat was ours a few weeks later.

So now I have a weekend project if you will, while she plays in the yard, and we both take afternoons to sail and race, my mostly with my 19 yr old daughter, and 21 yr old twin sons, along with tenuki upon occason. Still trying to get 15 yr old daughter out there. Enjoy your time with the kids, they do grow up fast!

marty
Old 02-01-2008

Loualfr is on a distinguished road
thanks for all input, I will be looking around for catalina/Tartan(if I can afford one!), pearson
Old 02-01-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
If I had to choose a boat in this size and price range I would strongly recommend the Tartan 30 over your other choices. The Tartan 30 was far better built, came far better equipped as standard, and was a far superior sailing boat in all conditions as compared to Pearsons, Catalinas etc being surggested.
I also like those Tartan 30s. As I recall, there is more than one interior layout, and one in particular that I think would be very family friendly. It's the one with the port and starboard quarter-berths. It's nice to push the kids out to the corners of the boat in their own bunks, leaving the main salon open for adults after bed time. Our boat has a nice interior layout, but with three kids at least one of them ends up bunking on one of the settees in the main salon, which relegates the adults to the cockpit after bedtime.
Old 02-01-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
I also like those Tartan 30s. As I recall, there is more than one interior layout, and one in particular that I think would be very family friendly. It's the one with the port and starboard quarter-berths. It's nice to push the kids out to the corners of the boat in their own bunks, leaving the main salon open for adults after bed time. Our boat has a nice interior layout, but with three kids at least one of them ends up bunking on one of the settees in the main salon, which relegates the adults to the cockpit after bedtime.
I agree with John.. That's what happens on our Catalina 30, is that everyone doesn't get their own "space", so it's pretty inconvenient once people head off to sleep. The layout John described sounds really good. I'd love to see one. The only boats with dual quarterberths I've seen are over 38 feet, and way out of my price range!

Gee, maybe I bought the wrong boat... I'm afraid to even look!

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown