SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   old boat vs new boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/40408-old-boat-vs-new-boat.html)

genesis2 02-07-2008 09:25 AM

old boat vs new boat

Hi everybody.
You have the money to buy an Amel Santorin 46'1996, but for the same money I'm pretty sure you can get newer boat with the same things on board,as strong as the Amel but recently built, what brand .
This is a continuos fight between my wife and I.
Need advise to convince her

blt2ski 02-07-2008 09:37 AM

If the wife likes the amel, you will probably NOT win this fight!
I personally am not familiar with that brand, but from adds etc, I would think Swan, Oyster, possible Halberg-Rassey would be similar in quality. Guessing here to a degree also.

marty

TrueBlue 02-07-2008 09:43 AM

I persuaded my wife to buy the boat I wanted, but she finally won after four seasons and the boat has just been sold. If we initially went with her dream, we presently would not be looking for a replacement.

It's a gamble and you may win the battle, but the wife's war will still rage on.

genesis2 02-07-2008 09:47 AM

Actually I like the Amel and she likes a Jeanneau Sun Ody 52'which has air cond. washing Machine, dish washer etc.
Everything that makes her life easier

TrueBlue 02-07-2008 10:04 AM

I share your enthusiasm for the Amel - she's a beauty!

PalmettoSailor 02-07-2008 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by genesis2 (Post 262026)
Actually I like the Amel and she likes a Jeanneau Sun Ody 52'which has air cond. washing Machine, dish washer etc.

Which of course makes YOUR life easier.

Rule one: If Mama 'aint happy, 'aint Nobody happy.

max-on 02-07-2008 10:19 AM

TB, what did your wife want?

Genesis, I do not think you can compare the build quality / sailing qualities for cruising of an Amel and a Jenneau. Air cond., washing machine, diswasher aside, those are really dock amenities, and can be installed on any boat, what are your planned uses and goals for the boat, and what boat will best serve that purpose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by genesis2 (Post 262026)

camaraderie 02-07-2008 10:39 AM

If you can afford an Amel and want more wife appeal...look at Royal Passports and Taswells.

genesis2 02-07-2008 11:26 AM

Beautiful boats, specially the Taswells, the problem is that they are mostly in America, and we have to buy it in Europe, where we are going to start our sailing

genesis2 02-07-2008 11:42 AM

max-
I agree, the problem is that she always complains that I spend more time working and upgrading the present boat that she want something mostly new that I can turn the key and go, no more working on board for a wile,. just tourism.