Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2008
wantabe sailing

sailusvi is on a distinguished road
seems like they all draw 7ft or so, not to much fun in the BVI's....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2008
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Where could one not go in the BVI's with 7' draft? One of the shallowest mooring fields I am aware of (JVD) is in water 10' or deeper. As far as anchoring off of Green or Sandy Cays, one may have to drop the hook 20 feet farther from shore than a vessel with a 5' draft.
Old 02-11-2008
wantabe sailing

sailusvi is on a distinguished road
I've been sailin around the Islands since the early 80's, I do not know of any of my favorite (secret) spots I could comfortably get into with a 7'4" draft....now you yourself may enjoy the places where everyone else goes but not I....
Old 02-11-2008

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
...how does that set up change cabin arrangements so fast? some kind of removable panels?...
The aft cabin converts with panels that slide under the berth when not in use. If I recall correctly, it is 4 panels and they mount/dismount very quickly and easily. Converting the forward cabin into 2 is more work and takes longer. There are 3 full-height walls plus a full door to install/remove. They store behind the bunks and it took longer for me to read the documentation and understand what they wanted me to do than it did to actually do the work. This requires use of a screwdriver, but that is the only tool needed. I have just read in the brochures that the 49DS can have the same layout.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-11-2008
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Sailusvi

I am too chicken to go into water so shallow that 1' or 2' will determine whether my sea going vessel becomes land based. No Bahama trips planned.

Most of my overnight or longer BVI visits take place in the off season when even the popular locations rarely have more than one or two boats. I will have to follow you around and find your secret anchorages for use during the busy season.
Old 02-11-2008

I draw 6"5' and the only questionable entrance is Anegada. And that mainly because there are shallow sand bars that shift around the entrance so that my depth reads "0" when I go in there; but I think that is because my fathometer is still set to "charterer mode" with a hefty fudge factor built in.

Has nobody sailed in/on/around a Grand Soleil and is willing to offer an opinion? I vaguely recall someone mentioning the boat somewhere here...

Old 02-11-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Zan...It is one of Giu's favorite cruising boats if I recall correctly but he hasn't been here for a couple of days. You may wish to PM him as I'm sure he knows a bit about them.
Old 02-11-2008

Cam - I'll try that, but I gather he isn't speaking to me because of a rebuttal I posted to a comment he made on another thread...

At first I didn't like the idea of the boom-end sheeting and traveller recessed into the cockpit floor but the pictures I've seen all make it look like a non-issue with regards to being able to move around the cockpit. But this weekend I realized that all of the pictures had everything centred - not on a reach. So far I've ruled out all boats that I've looked at with this arrangement since it always seems to make the cockpit less accessible.

Old 02-11-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Zan, absolutely not...you know me (or should) I don't get mad or anything...we share open opinions...

Its funny you wrote that above while I was wrtitting to you

I have sailed several Gransoleil, the last one I had extensive time, was during a week in August 2006, when a friend of mine that owns a GS43, with a blue hull sailed along us for a week and we used to hop on each other's boat. There is one in my marina, if you want I go get photos tomorrow.

They are indeed excellent boats, in fact the Grandsoleil is one of my dream boats. The new ones are designed by German Frers, so no-nonsense here.

Incredibly fast boats, somewhat a little more challenging if you sail alone, but a few mods done by you solve the problem.

Like all Italian boats, the design is very sexy and the boats fast, but some of the fulgural finish and mechanics are pretty poor. Kind like a Ferrari...they're fast but the mechanics...well Ferrari is Ferrari..if you know what I mean.

But if you have time you can fix and improve everything. Excellent wood inside and the boats are charming...

Off course going from a Jeanneau to a GS is like going from a Opel Astra to a S class Mercedes Benz (since you're German).

Pm and we go from there, ok?

By the way, the floor traveller, end boom arrangment is the best thging in nthe world..i have that as you know...i talk by experience...YOU'LL LOVE IT

Alex

Last edited by Giulietta; 02-11-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-11-2008

orient is on a distinguished road
Zan, Have you looked at the Jeanneau 54DS?