Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2008

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Grand Soleil cruising suitability

Well, I finally bit the bullet and my boat is up for sale on YachtWorld (and who knows how many other sites). I currently have my eyes set on an experienced {what a euphemism... last week I saw "retimed" used instead of "delayed" at the airport in Singapore} Grand Soleil 50' and will be flying down to view the boat in the next couple of weeks. I haven't narrowed my selection down to this boat, just looking for a large ~47-52 boat but somehow the lines of this line are so sexy and Italian... From what I hear they are solidly built but should anyone here have information on these boats I'd be interested to hear of it. Or if you want a 2002 Jeanneau 43DS we might be able to arrange something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2008
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
If you buy my Grand Soliel, I will never speak to you again.

Vaya con Dios
Old 02-09-2008
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Zanshin, I want your Jeanneau but don't want to pay for it even though it looks to be fairly priced. What can we arrange?

Have a good trip to view that sexy Italian lady and please tell us your impression of her after your visit.
Old 02-09-2008

FarCry - Let's see... "Your offer is important to me and I will see what can be arranged and get back to you. Please be patient while I ponder the options."

The boat in question has just had the price dropped - I think the owners need to sell. Could be a sign of either financial issues or they are worried that the boat is about to sink before someone signs a check.

Old 02-09-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Actually, I heard there was a Hanse from Portugal being moved next door, with its mast coming down next week after arrival being parked next to said Grand Soliel!

What I have heard, is they sail well and fast compared to jeanneau's in general ie the GS's! Could not resist the above hanse comment. No I do not want your DS, alto a std cockpit........could probably talk spouse into one of those! In the mean time, have our eyes on an SF37!

marty
Old 02-09-2008

A Hanse, eh? Sounds like a bargain. If that particular models is a modified one with a large internal space I could be tempted...

Old 02-09-2008
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
I realize that the GS is much better than the DS, but if you don't mind, was there something(s) wrong with the DS that you did not like? Is she too slow or too cheaply built etc. Thanks.

Vaya con Dios
Old 02-10-2008

Bestfriend - No, I am still generally happy with the Jeanneau, and now that I have been browsing the listings on sites such as Yachtworld I realize that I do have a lot of boat for the money. I wanted a more solidly built boat for my cruising plans and also decided that some more space as well as LWL would come in handy over the next couple of years. I toyed with the idea of getting a newer 49DS but the prices for those seem, in my opinion, a bit too high. I like the newer generation of boats with large cockpit areas and as I'll spend most of my time in warmer climates that is a factor. The Oysters that I looked at were awesome, but the prices were significantly higher than other boats and I got the impression that one is paying much for a name.
I think the 43DS is a great boat and would feel comfortable sailing "Solitaire" around - particularly with the new rudder! The 43DS is a fast boat as well, and the in-mast furling works well and has never let me down; plus all the lines lead back to the cockpit so, as a singlehander, all I need to do in order to tack is hit a button on the autopilot and leisurely winch in the Genoa sheet. And with a big shower cabin and the ability to change from 2-3-4 cabin configurations within a half hour the Jeanneau is very versatile and comfortable.

Old 02-10-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Zan,

how does that set up change cabin arrangements so fast? some kind of removable panels? Curtains? I had not seen that on Jeanneau's before. Then again, when you have a small 30'r like I do, more like a 29, and looking at the 35-37 models along with other brands. This option is probably not there.

may have to look at a bigger DS at local dealer or if I go to the local rendezvous this summer and look if a DS is there again. i do agree, that you do get quite a bit for the $$ spent with jeanneau boats.

marty
Old 02-10-2008
Hitchin' a ride

Thanks Zan, good to know.

Vaya con Dios