Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good advice all around... I think you need to step back and really figure out what you want to do. Is sailing and cruising what you really want to do? Is living on a farm and living off the land what you want to do? The two are pretty much mutually exclusive. The time and money commitment one takes, pretty much makes doing the other impossible.

P.S. Chuckles, I'd like to see that info too...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
This has been a pretty interesting thread to me

I am nearly the same age as Catalina Fan and while not in exactly the same predicament as he is (I have 3 sailboats already) and have been on hiatus from working a 'real' job for a few years. I find it touching that so many of you who have some pretty big and expensive boats have taken the time to reply to his posts with earnest and heartfelt good advice. I know I need to focus on getting back to work (either in my former field of IT which I am rusty at by now or into something different that is not confined by a cubicle in an office building and has medical and retirement benefits).
I mention the medical plan as it is my belief that some of you who keep your larger boats at slips must pay close to the same amount for your boats per month when EVERYTHING is added in to your wanting to have a sailboat in your lifestyle. Many of us do it for less but it is still a financial drain owning a keel boat that you can't keep in your barn, backyard, garage or driveway when and if it ever comes out of the water. Boats are not an investment from a financial perspective. They are a personal investment, as in you want that in your lifestyle. Very few boat owners can claim to have resold their boats after some period of years of ownership and actually made money on the resale value, which does not mean you made a profit as you had to sink money into it while you owned it. In the early part of the 20th century sailing was a sport that belonged firmly to the upper class. This is less true today but the bigger boats are generally owned by the bigger players. J. P. Morgan once said something to the effect of "if you have to ask what it costs, then you can't afford it" to a question about one of his yachts. My point is only to sing with choir (as posted here previously) that a boat is not the means to an end but and end to your means. It costs a lot of money to cruise about which is why so many world cruisers write books; to supplement their income and enjoy their hobby.
I have been reading way too many historical books on sailing ships and nautically related reading. In those days (19th century) it was actually possible to get paid for working (under harsh conditions) on those ships and going to far away places, meeting interesting people and sometimes killing them. Your best bet today is to join the US Navy or get your AB (able bodied) seaman's certificate and join the merchant marines (not the easiest life either) if you want to get paid to be on the ocean. There are other alternatives but I can't say that your prospects of becoming a delivery captain (since you are just starting your love affair with sailing) are pretty slim (as are mine, even though I have been sailing in protected waters for most of my life). Many marine related opportunities will not even afford you medical insurance (which is pretty much the cost of keeping a 35+' boat, kept at a slip at a marina, adding in all other related expenses).
You need a budget (as do I). If you want to have sailing in your lifestyle you need to:
1) sell the RV and pay off the loan (debt)
2) get a vehicle that gets much better gas mileage (preferably a used one that might be able to tow a boat)
3) decide if you could actually live aboard a small boat (30' or under)
3A) figure out what to do with your property in Texas:
- keep it and pay the taxes (I assume they have property taxes in Texas)
- decide whether to improve it (build a house) or just wait until the prices rise again (the problem here is that you need income and savings in order to improve or build there)
- do nothing and wait for the county to take it over due to tax in arrears
3B) If you can actually live on a boat and the wife and kids/pets (you haven't mentioned them yet have you?) can too then think about finding a sales job around Houston, NOLA etc. There are a few sailors who keep there boats in Kemah TX.
4) Hold on to the bulk of your savings (inheritance) and real estate until such time as it becomes reasonably profitable to sell.
5) Find a new job so you are not spending your cash cushion.

I have 2 trailer sailboats. I could live without my 27' Tartan which is not readily trailerable. My other boats are a 19' Lightning and a 14' (circa 1950s) daysailor (whose trailer is shot). The point here is that trailer sailors are waaaay cheaper than most keelboats, if you have a place to keep them when they are out of the water (which is where your own property comes into the equation). What lakes and or Gulf access is near your Texas property? What trailerable sailboats could you tow with your current vehicle (and don't tell me the RV can pull them)?
The point that I am not making is that you can have sailing in your life but with a compromise. A trailer sailor can make it work for you on a small budget that will not be a major drain on your finances. You need to stop those financial leaks as soon as possible; like getting rid of the RV and getting a job. The smaller the boat you get, the less drain on your wallet and you can have fun and save some money. Smaller boats can sometimes be even more fun than one you can live aboard.
(This is advice I am trying to sink into my own brain at the moment. It seems that I can express it but my will to put it in action is muddled in my own mid-life crisis).
Good luck Catalina Fan.

Everybody has one:

Old 05-15-2008

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
The above sounds sense.
However, this guy is 49. I thought self-indulgent and immature late 20s.
I doubt that there is a family and kids, though there might be in the past. It sounds like the guy has spent the last 4 years drifting.

"My thought pattern is that the world is not a safe place and I should enjoy life
while I can. I guess maybe that is why I have never delayed gratification."

Okay Peter Pan. You may have been abused. Now you are an adult in age. If you are not emotionally get help. Whether you are smoking or drinking there is no ideal world in which you get to enjoy the "good life" without effort. You have a hint that $$ and the American dream are not the answer.
I suggest to you that the bulk of the American population and certainly the world's gain their satisfaction in life from having made a decent effort to support themselves, from their personal relationships, from their integrity etc.
Forget sitting on a tuffet and eating strawberries and cream. It ain't going to happen and would not satisfy you if it did.
Don't take this as a personal criticism it is not. But pull your finger out and grow up.

The winners like you guys seem to see the world as a safe place.
Guess I have heaps to learn. Now I'm tearing up again.
Old 05-15-2008

CatalinaFan is on a distinguished road
Pull my finger out? Out of where? Get help? What kind?

Never had any family. Don't drink or smoke. Never had a truffle are they good?

Thanks for the advice.

Catalina Fan
if it be goodness.

Ralph Waldo Emerson