SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Older Cal 30

8K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  b40Ibis 
#1 ·
Hey All,

So, lets try this *AGAIN*. After my last experience letting a good deal slip away through inaction on my part, I'm getting more aggressive in placing an actual offer on a good old boat.

Now there's an older Cal 30 in my neighborhood thats on the market. I haven't been able to get on the boat itself, but its a 1966 Cal 30, which is a year I can barely find any information on at all. Newer engine is what the signs says too. Whats there to look out for this yacht? I intend to use it for Coastal cruising with an occasional poke out to the Bahamas. 5' 8" draft worries me for Bahamas though. Is this boat capable of this kind of usage? Probably want to keep it for 4 years or so to get some sea skills before upgrading to a 40' Cruiser.

Anyway, let the feedback flow!

night0wl in FTL

#2 ·
now you're talking my language, my last boat was a 1965 cal 30 hull #55. wish i still had it. took that boat to cabo mexico and elsewhere. Bill lapworth made some sturdy designs, mine had an atomic four which i had no probs with except for the fuel tank leaking itself into the bildge. the keel wasn't full but wasnt fin either, more like 3/4 full if that makes any sense. a couple of things to check for are the cutlass bearings and packing and also the tiller shaft packing (subject to leaks) but a very seaworthy boat!
this pic is the day i bought her. Ugly but sweet!

#4 ·
sorry but i misplaced most of the info i researched, you gotta remember this is an old boat. i had to search backwards and forwards to find the info i had. but i dont think you'll find very many negatives. just make sure to check this. back up (reverse)in fairly high RPM's and check to see if water is entering the cockpit from the tiller shaft. enjoy the boat, she was a beauty to sail!

#10 ·
Great little boat!

You won't be disappointed with this little boat. My Dad and I raced & cruised one for three years in SoCal. They are built hell for stout - before the builders realized how strong fiber glass really is and how light they could go. We beat the heck out of ours: racing it back & forth to Catalina against our nemisis "Bald Eagle" - another Cal 30 of the same vintage. Racing back from Catalina was always the most fun - we hit 13 knots on the meeter in Hurricane Gulch, got knocked down, and wrapped kelp around the mast head. The boat popped back up, found her legs, then took off like a scalded cat again. Way too much fun.

The only place they are lacking are creature features. Headroom is ok in the main salon. The head is only semi-inclosed & dated. My mom could never handle the 'yuck' factor.

We never had trouble with our 'Atomic Bomb' motor. Just remeber to vent the boat before starting & you're good to go.

Cheers!

#12 ·
lol...I cant believe this thread got dredged up. Wow, I was one of those newbies asking questions about a boat that was beyond my capabilities in tersm of fixing up.

The answer, obviously, is no. We passed on the Cal-30 and I dont know what happened to her. She was in rough shape, behind a house which ultimately went into foreclosure (a few people were working on the house trying to flip it and get rich quick). I suspect that she's in worse shape now than she was when I was evaluating her...sad, because it is a classic!

We ended up buying a brand new Beneteau 343 instead. A *LOT* more money, but we're out there sailing practically every chance we get rather than investing time and money in major boat projects.

Looking back, it was absolutely the right decision to pass on the project and get the boat that we could sail right away and afford within reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.