Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
now it comes better into focus

as said above, little J's have a hard life..i speak from J/24 experience.
chances are the sails are like baby blankets, doubtful of any significant delamination..they pretty much figured that out during their vermiculite days.
is there just a hull in the water..or does this transaction involve a roadworthy trailer. if not, 5k for a "rode hard, put away wet" J/22 may not be out of line. if she's sitting dry, you can go over the hull yourself (the rest of the boat for that matter), you can crawl all through her and find every pimple or blemish she has..granted,if you know what you are looking for.
she have a functioning outboard? (the little things start adding up..sails, decent 4 hp light outboard..kite anything resembling creature comforts down below (an exposed head is always a favorite among the female sailors might i add)
the fact she is 22' may be why w/ no motor she is an "undocumented alien" of sorts.
i bought my 82 J/24 in 2001..and paid 7.5k with a trailer serviceable enough to get to our club's lift. it would have been silly expensive to refit said trailer or even buy a new to me one.
a well maintained 22 should bring 2-3 times what he's asking...now, absent of any personal property liens or past due yard fees..might be worth a look as a project boat.
or not...

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII

Last edited by sanctuarysam; 02-12-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2008

Aasem is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAsailing View Post
You get real. There's no possibility of determining the seller's intention from the limited information posted here. It may be a scam or an indication of his dishonesty. It may be a misunderstanding of tax laws. It may be an excuse to insist on a cash deal. There's nothing idiotic about considering a number of reasons for his insistence on cash. I understand your point and I disagree.
That's absurd. However you analyze this, he's lying. If you want to be a victim, go for it.
Old 02-12-2008

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That's absurd. However you analyze this, he's lying. If you want to be a victim, go for it.
A victim? What the hell are you talking about?

Actually...nevermind. I'm not arguing with a troll.

To the original poster - the J/22 is, like the Pearson 30, a fairly simple boat, with one major exception: the cored hull. The good news is it is fairly easy to determine core condition. Also carefully check the keel/hull joint. As others have mentioned, if you can determine the boat can legally be sold to you and you still want the boat, then proceed with caution and do everything by the book (i.e. don't sign a bill of sale that says $100).

The J/22 Association site has lots of really good information.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.