Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Something less. I made a big deal out of the blisters and some of the other items the surveyor found (none of them deal killers) and worked the seller over pretty well. I bought the boat for considerably less than the value the surveyor placed on it in his report (he seller never saw that section of the report of course!) I never thought about deducting the price of a full peel, etc. because everyone involved in the deal knew that wasn't necessary. But it's all in what you're comfortable with.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
Solid laminate, '91 Catalina.

If I were to go forward, I'd either try to buy the previous survey and spend a couple of hours going over it, or start again from scratch.

The fellow that did the previous survey was favorably mentioned here on sailnet in a couple of the surveyor recommendation threads, so I feel he'd be trustworthy and knowledgeable.
What model Catalina? Who was the surveyor? The blisters will probably be find, just grind out, etc. That should be negotiated in the price. I am not aware of any blister problems with 1990+ Cats, but give me the model and I will see if anyone else knows.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-11-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
CD check your PM's.

Thanks.
Old 02-11-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Midlife,
Buddy of mine bought a 1986 Catalina 30 in 2005 with literally hundreds of blisters on it. We (he and I) spent 3 weekends grinding, filling and fairing, then barrier coated and bottom painted. We did not strip all gell coat, we spot repaired each one, merging several when needed and used a long stip of flexible wood as a fairing batten.
Total cost - 600 - 700 bucks and 3 weekends of going home covered in blue dust. I already had two angle grinders and large sanders - blew my shopvac to hell so my buddy replaced it. I did some gelcoat fixes during that time period while he was pasting in epoxy (no dust periods).

The original asking price was 24k, he paid 16k. The owner was 70+ and needed to dump the boat, it had not left the pier in 3 years.
Old 02-12-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
I had to smile while reading this...
Ok, buddy, quit hyperventilating about less than a dozen half dollar size blisters willya? I highly doubt that they're serious, and even if they've burned a caustic ooze filled hole in the hull, they can be ground out. It doesn't mean you're going to need a haz-mat suit and a team of fiberglass geeks at hundreds per hour.
The boat is 17 yrs old. its going to have a few blisters. Unless they've gone off the deep end, peeled, barrier'ed and epoxied. I doubt that they have and I doubt that it was/is needed.
I can't warrant anything about this particular tub, but suffice it to say it'd be a rare bird if this caused a real big problem.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 02-12-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Ditto

Card's post...If I were the seller and you asked for a peel job for 10 blisters Id tell you to take a hike...Figure up for a reasonable amount to cover grind and fill at the yards price and offer that or walk... Thats what I did.
Old 02-12-2008

supergrade is on a distinguished road
I agree with the consensus here.....blisters are really no big deal 90% of the time. If, as you said, there are only a handful of small ones, then let your offer reflect that and go for it. When you get a good feeling about a boat, a few blisters shouldn't be an obstacle (IMHO).

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."
Old 02-12-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergrade View Post
I agree with the consensus here.....blisters are really no big deal 90% of the time. If, as you said, there are only a handful of small ones, then let your offer reflect that and go for it. When you get a good feeling about a boat, a few blisters shouldn't be an obstacle (IMHO).
Well as it turns out, I was able to learn the problem was more extensive than I was initally informed (suprise). There were a much greater number of blisters with several large ones on both sides of the hull and more small ones than you could count. It was made clear that a bottom peel was in the near future or this boats value would be severely impacted.

I'm taking a pass, at least for now. At this point I'm not sure if I'm willing to take the risk and deal with the inconvinience at any price. I may change my mind and make a steeply discounted offer, but there is always another boat and I think I'll save a lot of discontent by waiting till it comes along.

The search goes on.
Old 02-12-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
I was able to learn the problem was more extensive than I was initally informed (suprise). There were a much greater number of blisters with several large ones on both sides of the hull and more small ones than you could count.

A-HA!!!
ok, wow, she must have gone awhile without having maint. done. pass.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 02-13-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiacpaul View Post
I was able to learn the problem was more extensive than I was initally informed (suprise). There were a much greater number of blisters with several large ones on both sides of the hull and more small ones than you could count.

A-HA!!!
ok, wow, she must have gone awhile without having maint. done. pass.
Yeah, it seems like the entire maintenence budget was spent above the waterline. I think if your plan is to leave your boat in the water for years at a time, you should start with a stripdown to gel coat and carefully put on a barrier coat then fresh bottom paint. This boat had no barrier coat at all. I know barrier coats are not the be-all-and-end-all, but I can't help but think it may have really changed the outcome for this boat.