Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
IM(HalfAssed)O - catalina 25s are dogs compared to the SJs, but then again, you aren't racing so go for the 25! SJ24 is a nice little boat, don't be worried about the death roll unless you are planning on flying the spin direct downwind in race conditions. you will love _sailing_ the SJ24 and it's interior isn't bad for a boat that size. The catalina 25 has a huge cabin but man, you will be motoring in anything under about 3 knots of wind unless you have the TM version (not sure if that comes in trailerable models). The SJ24 was on my short list when I was buying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenuki View Post
IM(HalfAssed)O - catalina 25s are dogs compared to the SJs, but then again, you aren't racing so go for the 25! SJ24 is a nice little boat, don't be worried about the death roll unless you are planning on flying the spin direct downwind in race conditions. you will love _sailing_ the SJ24 and it's interior isn't bad for a boat that size. The catalina 25 has a huge cabin but man, you will be motoring in anything under about 3 knots of wind unless you have the TM version (not sure if that comes in trailerable models). The SJ24 was on my short list when I was buying.
For Catalinas the 25 is the largest most easily trailerable size...(although the 22? is easier found with a trailer...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 02-14-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
I've sailed both, and own a C30. However, I'd be partial to the San Juan if I had to make a choice.
Old 02-14-2008

delliottg is on a distinguished road
We decided on the C250 after looking at about 3 dozen boats over a period of a year+. We started out looking at a Catalina 380 to put into charter, but while we were hemming & hawing over whether to buy it or not, someone else did. We found a way better than new Hunter 340 that we actually made an offer on, but the owner wasn't interested in lowering his price, and my wife balked at the potential costs if we couldn't keep it in charter, so we bailed on that. We decided to find a trailer-sailer that we could afford outright, without chartering. We wanted a boat that at a minimum you could stand up in, had a head & galley, none of which our SJ21 has. I can't even kneel inside it. While both of us used to race, neither of us has raced in a decade or more, so we were looking for comfort, not speed. Catalinas were pretty much designed around that concept, and the boat is pretty comfortable, and there's no comparison in that regard to the SJ. In the SJ, you could camp for a weekend, but you'd come home bruised & grumpy, not so in the Catalina. However, the SJ is definitely more fun to sail although that is quite possibly that I simply don't know the systems on the C250 yet, we've only owned it for a bit more than a year, and illness & injury has prevented us from sailing it as much as we like.

We sail on the Puget Sound for the most part. We have a slip in a marina that's just south of downtown Seattle. The sound is an interesting place to sail, but it's not the protected waters that I've done most of my sailing in. I don't think I'd be too comfortable on the SJ in the sound, I like the relative bullet-proof-ness of the Catalina when the weather pipes up, or a giant cargo ship's wake goes by.

Last edited by delliottg; 02-14-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-14-2008

jimmyb116 is on a distinguished road
Just information: The sj24 is not trailerable it is a fixed keet 4" draft boat. the 28 was great but also an IOR boat and I have deathrolled it more times than my 24. You dont need to wory about deathroll it only starts to become a problem over 15 knots dead down wind, and I have yet to see a casual sailer fly his kite in thos conditions. Dont do the 26 its a dog the c25 would be a better choice.
Old 02-14-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I mentioned the 26, because it was a centerboard/swing keel style boat vs teh 24 having a fixed draft, but forgot to mention the, it is trailerable, but one needs a sling on the other end to launch it! And teh 26 was slow for an SJ, which is why the 7.x came out later.

I am sure there some other brand trailer sailers too that will work with CB/SK configs, that will allow launching off of most boat ramps. Where as the SJ24 will need one heck of a long tongue extension to launch, ie float it off the trailer!

Marty
Old 02-14-2008

jimmyb116 is on a distinguished road
My apologies I consider trailer-able as a boat that can be launched by someone by backing it down a ramp, it also must have a rig designed to be easily erected by 1-2 people and tows well the 24 dose none of these easy.
You can sling any boat under 30 feet onto a trailer and tow it.
Old 02-14-2008

Actually, folks are trailering boats upwards of 35-36'. IE mumm's, Melges, J105's, 1D35's etc to different regata's around the states etc. BUT< they do need slings, along with small cranes to raise the masts etc too.

But the 24 is not what most would call an easy trailerable. Not sure if the C25 is either, as I do not know what it has for a keel, ie CB or fixed or a hybrid.

Marty
Old 02-14-2008

Tenuki,

How trailerable is your Ranger? I know the next larger size ie 24 vs your 23?!?! has a full keel like the SJ24, being as both were IOR 1/4 tonners!

I am sure there are some other brands folks can come up with besides Catalina. IIRC Hunter has a mid 20' CB model.

Just more rambling on my part.

marty
Old 02-14-2008

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenuki View Post
IM(HalfAssed)O - catalina 25s are dogs compared to the SJs, but then again, you aren't racing so go for the 25!
Tenuki, you're breaking my heart here! The SJ24 is a nice boat, but it's no Catalina 25. I sailed my beloved tall rig Catalina 25 for 20+ years, and easily beat SJ 24s and S2 7.9s and C250s to the finish line, and won many light air races. The C25s are faster than the C27s, but, ironically, the C27s usually have to give the tall rig C25 handicap time. Don't call my baby a dog!