Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
roflmao..
aren't trustworthy enough to buy beer...
uhm..i'd look at a hinckley or swan if you have that kind of coin..
oh..HR too.. (HR Puffinstuff for anyone over 45... )
ok..off to reply to the "favorite boat tool" thread...
mine of course, is a bottle opener for my Bass Ale...
(hey a six pack or roll of duct tape is all ya ever need..if one doesn't help, the other will)

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I would not reccomend any of those choices, and like was said, rommy, spacious, comfortable, and passagemaker are mutually exclusive terms.

The best bets in my opinion are a Tayana (because it is a nice compromise between comfortable and passagemaker), Hylas, and an old Mason. I am showing you my skewed opinions on boats I like... so take it as such.

When you say crossing the oceans, do you mean a circum nav? THis will come out the wrong way, and I do not mean it to nor do I mean to affront you, but if you have to ask what boats are good for crossing oceans, you have no business crossing oceans. I feel that to comfortably and safely cross either pond, you need years and years of bluewater under your belt and even more years of sailing (especially heavy weather). It is not to say that you cannot just hop on a canoe (or Valiant) and skid across the Atlantic and make it... but without a solid basis in cruising/passagemaking, you seriously compromise yourself and those that would risk their lives to come rescue you. I can only use the analogy of wanting to be a stock car driver (if you know what that is), and asking which car is the fastest and which delership to buy it from? NASCAR would not even bother laughing at you.

Please do not get upset by what I have written, it is not meant to upset you. Promise.

I will state my EDUCATED opinions, so take them as such, opinions:

If you are planning on staying coastal or island hopping, you would be very well served by a Catalina of about any length. If you plan on making more than three days on a passage, I would say you need a Catalina 36+, with a preference for the 380+. If your passage would exceed 7 days, I think you should move out of the "production" class, and more into a bluewater type boat. At 7 days, you have really pused the envelope on guessing your weather window and will need a lot of modifications to fuel, water, etc.

I have listed my preferences. You should be able to buy a used Tayana 42 Vancouver for that price and still have money left over for upgrades and repairs. I also like the Passports, but have not sailed one. Others would know better. If you have money left over outside of that 300kish (us), then I would move into a Hylas or Mason - with my prefernce for the latter if you plan to cruise in areas with at least a 7 foot+ draft. If under 7 foot draft (most of Bahamas and FL, for example), you may need to focus your search on a Tayana or Passport. THere are others... these are just my educated preferences.

You can get a new Catalina 400 for the prices you describe, and will be able to somewhat outfit it for passagemaking... somewhat. You may be able to get a lightly used 400 or 42 for those numbers and definitely outfit it for passagemaking. But if your intentions are to cross the Atlantic and pacific, I personally think it is the wrong boat (though it has been done). Move into a bluewater boat and simply deal with the conscequences of it.

Hope that helps.

- CD

PS Stick around here and ask questions and it will help you to learn more about it.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-14-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Why do you have us answering the same question on 2 different posts!
Old 02-14-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
Originally Posted by teshannon View Post
Why do you have us answering the same question on 2 different posts!
That's what I said in post number 2
Old 02-14-2008
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Good points CD.

It might be fun to narrow down the list by a process of elimination. Here is my first vessel to eliminate from the list of potential vessels A New Circumnav to Argue About!
Old 02-14-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
These posts have been merged,

CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just remember, most boats can sail and feed far more than they can comfortably sleep. A friend of mine says his C&C 38 can sail six, feed four and sleep two comfortably, unless there's a couple aboard, then it can sleep three.

You could look at the Hallberg Rassys, since several of them would be in your price range.

You could also look at some of the 36-40' catamarans, which would solve the roomy part of the problem, and many of them are capable of trans-Atlantic/Pacific crossings without much trouble. In fact, many are brought over to the US market on their own power. Many can also be piloted from inside the bridgedeck or have a pilothouse setup.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-14-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
good rule of thumb...

"Sleeps 4"
means, 2 family members, or 4 good friends.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 02-15-2008

Wannafish is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftyatan View Post
Hello Sailers,

I need recommendations for a boat that will be suitable for the following,
...Has to be nice and spaceous and cosy. =)
"Spaceous and cosy" are opposites. Which do you want?
Old 02-15-2008

gonesailin40 is on a distinguished road
I suggest you look at a pre owned 37 foot Fisher motorsailer. Strong go anywhere motorsailer.

HR Puffinstuff - I thought I was the only one who remembered that show.