Pre 1990's boat purchse considerations - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 45 Old 02-14-2008 Thread Starter
Best Looking MALE Mod

If you have tinned wire on that boat, it was replaced for you, in my opinion. As far as the soldering and automotive connectors... well, the previous owner lived in Michigan?? What can I say??? (smile).

I am however, quite certain that the connectors came off of a F350 and not a Corvette!!

HEHE!

- CD

Sailnet Moderator

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 Old 02-14-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I am not sure the costs we have incurred will really represent doing it. THat is because wire is absolutely out of sight right now ($$$$$$$$) due to gold. However, I estimate, assuming our time is free, that we have dropped about $1,000 in the mast. That includes a new deck/steaming light, and some new lighting on the head. You may say, "Well, I am not replacinag those lights, etc...)," but upon closer inspection, you will likely find them corroded due to poor wiring, and why do a half-A** job when most of the expense is the wire???

- CD
Fortunately for me the PO had the mast rewired and new lights installed just before I bought the boat. If I remember right from the receipts the $1k is about right.
post #13 of 45 Old 02-14-2008

Quote:
If you have tinned wire on that boat, it was replaced for you, in my opinion. As far as the soldering and automotive connectors... well, the previous owner lived in Michigan?? What can I say??? (smile).

I am however, quite certain that the connectors came off of a F350 and not a Corvette!!

HEHE!

- CD
Cd,
Have not found any solder connections or automotive connectors thank god. Not really sure if I have tinned wires or not but will check. Any obvious way to tell? I'll put a question on the TOG site and see what responses I get. thanks again.
post #14 of 45 Old 02-14-2008
Telstar 28

If the wire is copper colored, green or black, it isn't tinned... tinned wire is generally tin (Silver) in color.

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #15 of 45 Old 02-14-2008

Quote:

most of the wiring was copper, and not tinned (as is dictated by ABYC). I also would assume that you will find a LOT of poorly insulated wiring and likely a lot of soldering. That was popular during the day.

ALmost without exception, we have been forced to pull all the wire nd replace with tinned wire. Almost without exception, the solder joints have corroded and cracked and have either failed or are close to failing.

I have the same issue with my 37, knew that going in

Quote:
The very deep bilge in the Tayana (and other boats for that matter) will have built up a considerable slime and who knows what sits down in there. Because the bilge is so deep, many of the V-42 owners have put the switch on the stringer about 2 feet below the footboards. I have a fix for that, for anyone that is interested. You may PM me.
I would be interested, what I found on mine was a piece of wood, glassed/epoxied to a flat lava stone at the bottom of my bilge, to this was fastened the float switch.

When the pump finally gave up the ghost, I replaced the whole setup ( PAR belt pump and float switch ) with a Rule 750 auto pump, but utilized the the flat lave stone, the bilge never has more than 2" of water in it.

However, I would be interested in any improvements that you would suggest

1955 Blanchard 51 Custom ( I got a woody )

Lord, give me coffee to change the things I can change and Rum to accept the things I can't
post #16 of 45 Old 02-14-2008

My problem with the 58 is that its still an old IOR hull form. The Tayana that I think may turn out to be one heck of a neat boat is the new 54. Now there's a nice piece of naval architecture.

Jeff
post #17 of 45 Old 02-14-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
If the wire is copper colored, green or black, it isn't tinned... tinned wire is generally tin (Silver) in color.
SD,
Thanks. everything on my boat is copper colored. Whew!
post #18 of 45 Old 02-14-2008
I'd rather be sailing

The 58 is the 55 with an extended sugar scoop transom - that's the only difference. The 54 is the new Dixon designed Tayana.

CD - one of the other things you will find about 1980's Taiwanese boats is that some of the hardware will be custom fabricated by the yard in order to save money, and may not have been fabricated using high quality stainless or in a high quality fashion.

s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
post #19 of 45 Old 02-14-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by teshannon View Post
SD,
Thanks. everything on my boat is copper colored. Whew!
That's not a " whew ", it's an " oh damn " I need to rewire

1955 Blanchard 51 Custom ( I got a woody )

Lord, give me coffee to change the things I can change and Rum to accept the things I can't
post #20 of 45 Old 02-14-2008

[QUOTE=poopdeckpappy;265606]That's not a " whew ", it's an " oh damn " I need to rewire[/QU

Now I'm thinking I don't know for sure what I have but will be on the boat tomorrow and will check. I'll report back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.