Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Teshannon-

If it is all copper colored... that is bad... silver-colored stranded wiring is very good... solid silver-colored wiring, fastened with wire nuts is probably aluminum wiring and a really, really bad idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Teshannon-

If it is all copper colored... that is bad... silver-colored stranded wiring is very good... solid silver-colored wiring, fastened with wire nuts is probably aluminum wiring and a really, really bad idea.
SD,
Really slow on the pick up today. The more I think about it I don't remember seeing copper colored wire behind the control panel but I will have a close look tomorrow. For some reason I'm remembering copper somewhere but not a lot of it.
Old 02-14-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
That's not a " whew ", it's an " oh damn " I need to rewire
HEHEHEHEEHAHAHAHAHAHEHEHEHEHEHEH!!!!!!!

My kids came in here wondering what I was laughing about so hard...

T- if you boat has not been reqwired by a PO, you should have copper. I would not run out to the marine store and stock up on 5k in wire, but put it on the list to start replacing as you can. If you drop your stick, that is a GREAT time to pull that wire.

- CD

PS I would question whether you relaly have to rip it all out... that may be a good questions for the board. I will post another thread and get opinions.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-14-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
On the other hand, that non-tinned automotive spade type connectered incorrectly run undersized aluminum wire on that 1980 something classic plastic next door to your boat is PROBABLY not going to erupt like Mt Saint Helen tomorrow at 3am and burn every boat in the marina to the water line.

After all, it hasn't yet.

per BoatUS IIRC electrical problems are the number 1 cause of boat fires.
Old 02-14-2008
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
VOTED BEST LOOKING AND SMARTEST SAILNETTER..
uhm, when was the election..i never even got a proxy ballot in the mail.
i want a recount,i'm thinking hanging chads here....

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII
Old 02-14-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Sure..tinned wire is better...but there are a few hundred thousand older boats out there doing just fine with plain old copper. As recently as year 2000 some VERY high end boats were offering tinned wire as an OPTION at purchase. So it is really just a better way of doing things. Replace it as you need to with tinned and get rid of any solder joints. CD...funny...I did not have a single solder joint that I can recall on my boat. My guess is the PO of your Dad's did some work.

Labatt...I think that there is a tendancy for Taiwanese boats to get painted with a broad brush. What parts were not well made on you Passport? I did not in the course of my refit or subsequent use find one substandard quality fitting on my Tayana. Now I know that decks and tanks are issues that need to be checked or dealt with on Tayanas, but your statement sounds like ALL Taiwanese boats used cheap fittings to save $$. Lets keep generalized negative comments to a minimum and try to be specific about any negative stuff. Kinda like saying Valiants have known blister problems when the issue is specific to a production run.
Old 02-14-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
CD,
Fortunately the PO had the mast rewired and lights replaced just before I bought her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
HEHEHEHEEHAHAHAHAHAHEHEHEHEHEHEH!!!!!!!

My kids came in here wondering what I was laughing about so hard...

T- if you boat has not been reqwired by a PO, you should have copper. I would not run out to the marine store and stock up on 5k in wire, but put it on the list to start replacing as you can. If you drop your stick, that is a GREAT time to pull that wire.

- CD

PS I would question whether you relaly have to rip it all out... that may be a good questions for the board. I will post another thread and get opinions.
Old 02-15-2008

Well put Cam, I have had not one problem with my Tayana related to quality of fittings. in fact, overall I'm very impressed with the quality of the hardware on the boat, first class all around.
Old 02-15-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I gotta agree, I'm very pleased with the original workmanship, my problem is, either the original owner or the PO went from bad to worse, but like I said, it was a given when I bought the boat that the wiring was going to be less than good

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 02-15-2008

Ok, so I'm at my boat, an 87' Tayana and have looked at the wiring. All of the original wiring is copper with crimp connectors. Well insulated and no solder connections. Any later wiring is tinned stranded wire, again all well insulated with crimp connections and no solder joints. As I mentioned before all of the mast wiring has recently been replaced. Everything looks to be in great shape, I've had no problems, and so I plan to do nothing.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.