Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
mac,
The Passport 40 would be a good candidate also.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccauley123 View Post
Thanks all, great information.

Given my budget, and within 10 years hopefully can do a little more, I have revised my list. With the desire to go offshore some day and the peace of mind a bluewater capable boat provides my preferred are:
- Corbin 39
- Whitby 42
- Tayana 42
- Peterson 44 (a little above my size limit but came across this also and seems bluewater capable)

If money is an issue then would go for these boats and stick to coast/island hopping.
- Morgan OI 41
- Gulfstar 41
- Irwin 38

And the Islander Freeport 41 for coastal.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-16-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
CD....the C38 is a "semi" bluewater boat and built and designed differently than most catalinas. I would feel pretty comfortable doing it on one of those...but it is not a center cockpit like he wants nor are many of the other capable bluewater boats he could get for his budget. But being a CC fan I understand and agree not to compromise on this issue!!

Mac...the Peterson 44 is indeed a BW boat bu usually about $50k above your budget. If you get up in that $$ range then you could add. Hylas44 and Liberty458 and the Tayana42.
To your coastal list you should add the Irwin41 &43, the Pearson422 (well built! but scarce.) and Endeavors.
Old 02-16-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Now that I think about it I'm not sure the Passport has a CC version. Does anyone know?
Old 02-16-2008

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
You definitely should consider the Whitby 42. You can get one for under $100,000 (I just checked Yachtworld and there are several under that price, some as low as $75,000). I'm sure the big difference on price is condition and equipment.

I have some experience with this boat. A good friend has one, I sailed her to Bermuda, and have spent a fair amount of time on her over the years. It's an incredibly comfortable boat, lots of room, and she's got a very forgiving, easy and comfortable motion. Plus, I think the draft is 5' (she's a full keeler). The aft berth is huge, it's a walk over and a walk through (a nice feature in my view). Plus, they're built like the proverbial brick ****house. (I've not heard of the problem Cam mentioned about some boats having screwed hull to deck joints; check that, as I would avoid those and go with a boat whose deck is through bolted.) The ketch rig also is very nice for short handed cruising, as it's versatile, the sails are smaller, the rig is less tall (it's a very ICW friendly boat). The tankage is enormous, the engine room is large. Just generally a very good cruiser.

Here's the downside, which shouldn't be so surprising. They're old at this point. That means the condition is likely to be less than optimal. If it's been refit and is in good condition, it likely will be a little above your price range. You might be willing to make that trade (I would), but that's your call obviously. On the other hand, an older one that's not in the best shape and is out of date equipment-wise certainly will be well within your stated price range, and if you're willing to put in the sweat equity you can get a great value. Also, these are not light air boats. Once the wind is up a bit she'll get going like a freight train, but you'll need some wind to make that happen. Likewise, she's not the most weatherly boat you'll find. All in all, I think these are excellent cruisers and present tremendous value.

Good luck,

DG

Old 02-16-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I'm wrong...it is not screw fastened...pop-rivets. Bolts were an option.
"One of those details not particularly to my liking is Whitby’s liberal use of pop-rivets as a means of fastening structural components. Even the deck-to-hull joint of most Whitby 42s is fastened with pop-rivets, fiberglass and resin. Some 42s were built with the deck-to-hull joint completely through bolted--my preferred method. Whitby offered this as an option at an extra cost. I will admit many Whitby 42s have made significant offshore passages, and I am not aware of any catastrophic structural failures."
Full review: http://www.boatus.com/jackhornor/sail/Whitby42.asp
Old 02-18-2008
SailAway

maccauley123 is on a distinguished road
The Whitby 42 is definitely at the top of my list. It is a boat I was not aware of until now and based on what I have read here and elsewhere it seems just about perfect. Now I just need to get on one to see if the Admiral and I like how she feels. It certainly sounds like she would have the construction and sailing characteristics I am looking for.

Thanks all, would not have even considered this boat without your help.

Get out there!

Saco Bay, Maine
1971 Ericson 29
Old 02-18-2008
moderate?

Mac...don't forget the Brewer42...it is the Whitby better made...with the market the way it is...you might just find a deal on one:
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1699052
Old 02-18-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Maccauley,

Here is a good review of the Mariner 39, in case you hadn't seen it:

http://www.cruisingworld.com/boats-a...dly-52245.html

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 02-20-2008

bounor is on a distinguished road
I Own A Corbin Center Cockpit Mk2.
I Crossed The Atlantic And Navigate In The Med With Her.
It's A Very Confortable, Secure And Safe For Two Inboard.
Unfortunatly Cause Health Problem, I Have To Sell It.
The Corbin Is A Good Choice
Bounor