Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2008
SailAway

maccauley123 is on a distinguished road
Solid Center Cockpit - Which One?

Within the next 10 years my plan is for my wife and I to take at least 1 year off and sail from Maine down to the Caribbean. Hop from island to island as we feel like it then return home. The return may be a straight shot with a stop in Bermuda or back up the ICW. It is not the plan now but would like a boat that could cross the pond to do the Med or maybe do the South Pacific.

Between now and then I plan to continue to build my sailing skills and search for the right boat. I definitely want a Center Cockpit because I am convinced its layout with the aft deck and comfortable private aft cabin is what I want for the Admirals enjoyment. Don't want a fin keel, want to keep the draft low for the ICW and Bahamas. Other than that want a heavy, well built comfortable cruiser. Speed is not of the essence, a comfortable motion is more important.

I have narrowed my choices down to the following. Is there any reason I would not pick one of these or I should consider another boat? I expect my budget to be 100k or less, not including upgrades.
- Mariner 39
- Morgan OI 41
- Morgan 38CC
- Endeavour 40
- Corbin 39

Get out there!

Saco Bay, Maine
2001 Beneteau Oceanis 361
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccauley123 View Post
Don't want a fin keel, want to keep the draft low for the ICW and Bahamas....

I have narrowed my choices down to the following. Is there any reason I would not pick one of these or I should consider another boat? I expect my budget to be 100k or less, not including upgrades.
- Mariner 39
- Morgan OI 41
- Morgan 38CC
- Endeavour 40
- Corbin 39
The only comment I have is general, regarding keel choice: There are plenty of fin-keeled boats that are compatible with cruising the Bahamas and the ICW. In fact, at least one of the boats on your list has a fin keel (Corbin 39). So, I would keep an open mind about keel type and focus more on draft.
Old 02-15-2008
SailAway

Oops. Thanks John, should have checked my notes better.

You are correct, my main criteria is a draft that is compatible with the ICW and Bahamas and my home cruising waters around Maine which can get shallow.

Get out there!

Saco Bay, Maine
Old 02-15-2008

dongreerps is on a distinguished road
Jeanneau 42CC available in both deep and shallow draft version.
Old 02-15-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Of your list I like the Corbin best and Mariner next. I don't like any of the others for the offshore stuff. If you can deal with another couple of feet....look at Whitby or Brewer 42's and Tayana42's.
Old 02-15-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Of your list I like the Corbin best and Mariner next. I don't like any of the others for the offshore stuff. If you can deal with another couple of feet....look at Whitby or Brewer 42's and Tayana42's.
DOubt you would get a Tayana 42 for under 100k... maybe a t37, but not a center cockpit then.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A lot of those boats would be in less than ideal condition, given a $100k budget limit.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-15-2008
SailAway

SailDog, I understand these may need some work which is not a problem. My only requirement is that they be structurally sound. My current boat is in need of work so I am learning a lot through that process.

Get out there!

Saco Bay, Maine
Old 02-15-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
You could look into one of the Oceanis series Beneteaus. They were CC. The money may be an issue. I do not think you need a bluewater boat for that area of cruising. My opinion.

The Morgan OI is pretty comfortable down below. You could also look at a Islander Freeport, 41.

I personally would either find a way to come up with more money or go for an aft cockpit and a newer production boat. You could get a nice Catalina 36 for those numbers. Bene makes some nice ones too. I would say spend more money on a newer boat that will give you less problems and hopefully require less work?? I don't know, I am not trying to redirect you. I like the CC's too... a lot. They really add a lot to comfort for living aboard.

Good luck in your serach. THere is a Freeport for sale (at least it was for sale, not sure if it still is) two slips down from me. I have been aboard her. Comfortable boats down below... but I can see where someone could let their maintenance fall off and they would turn into a money pit.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-15-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I really like the Corbin 39, but it's not so shallow, and they have a following in the $100K-plus range.

The Morgan OI is a good choice, because there's a lot of cosmetically compromised ones out there. They don't sail so well, I think, but are comfortable and good on stowage.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.