SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   starter boat opinions? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/40628-starter-boat-opinions.html)

Phreak 02-15-2008 04:35 PM

starter boat opinions?

I am currently looking to get into sailing and was looking for a boat that might be a good starter. I came across two boats that seem to be good candidates but thought I would look for an opinion from someone more experienced. The boats are the Tanzer 22 and the Georgian 23.

Thanks in advance.

sailingdog 02-15-2008 05:20 PM

Phreak-

It would help if you said where you're located, what kind of sailing you intend to be doing with the boat... if you're up on the Oregon coast and want to hop up and down the coast, neither boat is a good choice... of you're on Lake Winnepasaukee, in NH, then they might be excellent choices.

Phreak 02-15-2008 08:40 PM

I'm in Toronto and would be cruising around Lake Ontario mostly. Daysailing and maybe weekending type trips.

djodenda 02-15-2008 08:53 PM

You might consider a Shark, one of the first production fiberglass sailboats. They are 24' long, with a small cabin down below.

They are fun to sail, and will plane under the right conditions

There are many in your area and racing opportunities if you wish

Have a look at www.shark24.org

Johnrb 02-15-2008 09:17 PM

I'll second the choice of a Shark as a good starter boat for Lake Ontario or other Great Lakes. They are tight on room if you want to do any cruising but otherwise are great boats with a good class. I bought my first boat in the early '70's (a CS 22) and later regretted I hadn't bought a Shark instead. They also have a large fleet so there is usually a good selection to choose from.

Other possible choices, depending on budget and intended use, are the C&C 25, C&C 24, Mirage 24. Of the two you mentioned, I would prefer the Tanzer which also has a large fleet.

djodenda 02-15-2008 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnrb (Post 266330)
I'll second the choice of a Shark as a good starter boat for Lake Ontario or other Great Lakes. They are tight on room if you want to do any cruising but otherwise are great boats with a good class. I bought my first boat in the early '70's (a CS 22) and later regretted I hadn't bought a Shark instead. They also have a large fleet so there is usually a good selection to choose from.

Yeah, our family's first sailboat was a Shark. I have many fond memories of sailing on Lake St. Clair and weekend trips (With 4 kids and two adults if you can believe it!)

Valiente 02-16-2008 01:37 AM

A Shark really is the course of least resistance, because they are trailerable, easily daysailed, tough as old boots, but still eager to move in a breeze. Perfectly adequate for weekending, if a bit Spartan, but you see them out in all weathers, and they have the desirable outboard well in most cases.

I've seen them from $1,500 to $9,000, depending on age, and race condition. Our club has about 25 of them.

Phreak 02-16-2008 10:38 AM

Valiente, what club are you in and if you see any of those sharks go up for sale can you let me know? It would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Plumper 02-16-2008 11:23 AM

I race a Shark every weekend and love it. Cheap, fast and a good PHRF rating.

jimmyb116 02-16-2008 12:00 PM

The guy next to me at my marina has a shark he loves it great looking boat.