Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2008
Lake Michigan

kenhoneycutt is on a distinguished road
Just curious as to why in mast furling is not considered beneficial to singlehandling. I have in mast now on my boat and really like the convenience (I singlehand 99% of the time). Granted I sail inland on Lake Michigan which is different than blue water sailing, but I found that standing on top of the cabin tying down the main could be a PITA at times when in a crowded harbor with a half dozen large powerboats wizzing about doing their best to see how much of a wake they could put out with 15 to 20 blowing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
In-mast furling is fine when it works... but when it jams it can leave you with a lot of sail area up when you least want sail area up. From what I've seen they tend to jam more readily in the conditions you'd least want them to jam in... higher winds. It also leaves more weight aloft, which reduces the stability of the boat a bit and generally adds windage aloft as well. It can also make it really hard to bring the main down when it jams... since you have to unfurl the main to get the sail down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-17-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
So far everyone has only discussed sail handling. I find sailing the easy part to single handing. Some of my lines are led aft:
-main halyard
-both reefs
-outhaul
Everything led aft is within reach of the helm but Auto usually steers.

I have to go forward to raise, reef and lower my jib (a blade). I have to go forward to anchor.

A big consideration is the other stuff you do during the day. Where is your galley and will the kettle stay on the stove while you are up top sailing? How do you go to the bathroom? Where is the radio and chart table? Are the tide books and other navigation references handy? Where is all the safety gear (flares, EPIRB, first aid kit, flashlight). Is everything properly stowed for when that big stinkpot goes by and you take a deep roll. Where is the sunscreen and your foul weather gear?

Like I said, sailing is easy, it is all the little other things that you do that require planning and practice. Most people who go for a sail around the harbour for a couple hours need nothing special to singlehand a modest boat. If you are navigating, sailing, cooking and talking on the radio, life can get very interesting.

Every read that story about the single hander who went for a dump and while he was sitting on the head the boat took a roll and something jammed the door to the head so he couldn't get out?
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Old 02-17-2008
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Okay, so how do opinions run for mainsail furlers like the CDI unit? Mounted to boom with a foil running vertically, high point mounted to mast. Been talking with a fellow on a Bristol 34 that swears by it.
Old 02-17-2008

Stu01 is on a distinguished road
Hello All,
(My first post.) I was wondering why the in-mast or in-boom furler is a bad idea for single-handers? Is it because if the furler jams you are in a pickle?
Thanks
Stu
Old 02-17-2008
Sailor

I am still skeptical about headsail furling after a bad experience on a windy day. I would not have mainsail furling on my small cruiser. Too much to go wrong, too expensive, too much weight up high when I least want it. I don't find handling real sails to be a chore. When I undo my halyard (main or jib) the sails just fall to the deck, still held on by the hanks, Nothing goes over the side, the excitement is over. It is that easy.
Old 02-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Headsail furlers are far more evolved and tested than mainsail furling systems IMHO, and have proven themselves over the course of many major events, like Dame Ellen's single-handed circumnavigation and the OSTAR races. They're pretty much standard equipment on most modern boats, unlike in-mast furling.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 02-17-2008
Sailor

Dame Ellen had several furling headsails and some code zeros furlers as well. That kind of redundancy is well out of my reach. If I remember correctly she also had failures.
With single headsail on a standard sloop things are a little different. While furlers are convenient and well tested, taking the sail off one at sea (especially if single handing) is far more difficult than changing a hank on head sail. I wouldn't take a good one (furler) off a boat but I wouldn't rush to put one on a boat either. Hanks just seem to have a better reputation.
Old 02-18-2008
Telstar 28

Yes, she may have had some failures, but she also put the equipment through conditions that most singlehanded sailors aren't going to be encountering. The fact that most of her gear made it through unscathed is a testimony to the durability and reliability of modern furling gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumper View Post
Dame Ellen had several furling headsails and some code zeros furlers as well. That kind of redundancy is well out of my reach. If I remember correctly she also had failures.
With single headsail on a standard sloop things are a little different. While furlers are convenient and well tested, taking the sail off one at sea (especially if single handing) is far more difficult than changing a hank on head sail. I wouldn't take a good one (furler) off a boat but I wouldn't rush to put one on a boat either. Hanks just seem to have a better reputation.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 02-18-2008

saildork is on a distinguished road
This is a great thread with lots of good advise. So here's my 2 cents worth: Think ahead before you leave the dock. Practice reefing, heaving-to, changing headsails, etc. in light-air conditions if you've never done these things by yourself. If you're not sure how much sail to put up, reef the main and hank on something smaller than your 150% genoa before you head out. Be conservative and deliberate in your planning, whether your daysailing or long-range cruising.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.