Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
I agree with Chuckles 100% plus!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2008

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Chuckles, don't tell me Maryland is a LIBERAL state?!

Here in the Northeast, those cut-up boat pieces might be flagged as "construction debris" and not allowed in the regular garbage dumps. Or, more likely, they'd be called HAZMAT and you'd be given the chance to pay a pretty penny per pound to have them exported out of state to a hazmat disposal site. (Lead, bottom paint, etc., and no one wants to know--they just flag it as hazmat and send you home.)

Cost of a ten cubic yard dumpster, a week with a Sawzal, and negotiating with the Teamsters........"Priceless". Oh, and of course you can't slice it up in the YARD--that's another no-no. First you need to have it transported home. (Ka-ching!)
Old 02-19-2008

TomandKarens34 is on a distinguished road
Ummm, sorry. Perhaps a little more detail is required. I said, for $15,000, YOU could rebuild it. I did NOT say "for $15,000, you could get the yard mechanic to rebuild it". And, you have to be smart. For example, stainless steel portlights cost $400 each. I just got 4 new in the bubble wrap portlights for $287. It depends on the level of skill you have and the time you can put into it. If I have to, I can rebuild my Yanmar, no sweat. That dosen't mean that for someone else it wouldn't be necessary to get the diesel surveyed. Someone held in high esteem here has a motto that goes something like' "learn all you can, then learn some more". Nothing like a junk boat to teach you what it's all about. That being said, I paid $25 for a boat repair guy to walk me through a boat I didn't buy. It was a 1/2 hour survey. I paid attention too. The boat I did buy had plenty of problems but I knew what I was looking at, after my education.
But we don't know what this gentleman is looking at, do we ? If he comes back, perhaps he can enlighten us. After all, if he's looking at an 18 foot dingy, it ain't the same as a 44 foot ketch. Right?

Last edited by TomandKarens34; 02-19-2008 at 11:54 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 02-19-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I like that

I wonder if I can get my insurance company to go along with it on my next boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandKarens34 View Post
I paid $25 for a boat repair guy to walk me through a boat I didn't buy. It was a 1/2 hour survey. I paid attention too.
Old 02-20-2008

TomandKarens34 is on a distinguished road
Oh man! I hope mine will too!!!