SailNet Community

SailNet Community (
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (
-   -   transfer of documentation (

xort 02-21-2008 06:57 PM

transfer of documentation
Loan shark, er loan officer wants to charge me for handling the transfer of documentation on a used boat purchase.
I went to the coast guard doc site and couldn't make sense of all the gobledegook.
Anybody care to tell me what it actually costs to transfer documentation?

bristol321 02-21-2008 07:02 PM

Just did it it was 95$

SailorMitch 02-21-2008 07:49 PM

It's easy so do it yourself. If you have questions, call the kind folks in Falling Water, WV in the documentation office. They are very helpful. The loan sharkls use the CG documentation as a profit center.

I bought my current boat in a private sale, and the previous owner had let the documentation lapse. the office folks helped me fill out the proper form to take care of that. Piece of cake actually.

Sapperwhite 02-21-2008 08:16 PM

My eyes got a little screwy when I read through all the stuff about the transfer too. I fretted about having everything in order blah blah blah. Then I said,"hey dummy, call them and find out exactly what you do and don't need". I did, it was very simple. Don't pay some dipstick $200 to process two pieces of paper for you. Just call and say, "Here's what I have, what else do I need", and they will tell you exactly. It's too easy.

PS I forget specifically the few papers you need, but it ain't much.

sailingdog 02-21-2008 08:28 PM

The one major thing that having the broker or a documentation specialist can do is to make sure the boat is free and clear of any liens. Normally, marine liens are recorded against the documentation on a USCG documented boat, however, not every one will do this, and if your boat has a lien on it and you've gone through a documentation company, and spent a bit more money doing it, they'll often be responsible for any liens that they missed when clearing the documentation.

If you do the documentation yourself, and have missed a lien, the lien will stay attached to the boat, and then you'll be responsible for it, not the previous owner or the insurance policy of the documentation company. Be aware that not all documentation companies have this insurance or offer it as part of their service. Some are just out to gouge you. :)

SailorMitch 02-21-2008 10:54 PM

As for Dawg's point about liens, the fine folks at the documentation office can help you with that. You also can get an abstract (I think that's what they call it) that goes into all that. Call them and they will help you out.

Sapperwhite 02-21-2008 11:06 PM

abstract of title, thats one of the few papers you need to get the transfer

brak 02-21-2008 11:11 PM

I just transferred the documentation for my boat. All that was needed is a notarized form by seller, and one page form from coast guard, and a check. That was it. The documentation on coast guard site looks a lot more intimidating than it really is.

labatt 02-21-2008 11:29 PM

Generally, if you are getting a significant loan to pay for the vessel, the loan company will require you to go through their people to transfer the documentation. When we were looking to buy a Hallberg-Rassy 53 recently, we talked to 8 different brokers. For the amount we were borrowing, every one of them required that we go through their people for the transfer - period. I'm generally pretty good at negotiating, and there was no bargaining here...

xort 02-22-2008 02:18 AM

lots of great info, thanks to all

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) LLC 2000-2012

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome