Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2008

ecgossett is on a distinguished road
Cannot remember Manufacturer / Please Help

Last summer a trailerable catamaran from the Great Lakes visited here in St. Mary's Georgia. This boat had a box tent over the cockpit deck that had been designed for the boat. It had two very small cabins in each of the hulls. The port cabin was a bunk and head, and the stbd another bunk and nav/galley (i think the sides are right). As I remember it the two hulls where almost flush with the deck (could be wrong).

The couple had owned the boat for 20 years and said only about 55 had been made. The name had "Sun" in it I think. When they pulled it out they used a Van to tow it.

I either want to find this maker / model of boat or another catameran very similar, any suggestions?

V/R Edward
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2008

thesnort is on a distinguished road
Something like this: http://www.multihull-maven.com/Boats/Gwahir ?
You also have the Stiletto, which is somewhat similar.
There's another one (at least) that I can picture, but can't remember the name that sounds like your boat. What length was the boat?
As for the name, Solaris Sunbeam comes to mind, but that has a hard cabin.
Old 02-23-2008

Re

Sunbeam sounds almost right.
The side cabins where hard. The boat was 25 or 26' and trailerable.
Old 02-23-2008

Stiletto has to be it. http://www.stilettocatamarans.com/

http://stiletto.wildjibe.com/cgi-bin...forsale-db.txt
Old 02-24-2008

thesnort is on a distinguished road
The other boat I was thinking of is the Westport 25, but there's not much happening in either hull (too small for your pet poodle).
Old 02-24-2008

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
20 years ago and trailerable, it had to be a Stilletto. There was also a Suncat, and a smaller cat made by Alcort called a Catfish but the OP may have simply been remembering the sun from Sunfish which Alcort also made.

I had a perriferal role in the design of the Stilletto.. I knew some of the people involved in developing the Stiletto. In fact the canopy design came from a wise crack of mine. The initial owner of Stiletto was a friend of mine who had been the Hobie distributor for south Florida. I had known him in Miami when I worked commissioning boats and giving sailing lessons at a dealership.

. A few years later I was down at John Holmes boatyard in Nokomis and there was this fellow (if I remember correctly his name was Bill Hughes) making a hull model for the Stiletto on a big ships bandsaw. He and I got to talking about his project. He told me that he was developing a 27-foot production catamaran. He was building the model to bring to the Miami Boat Show, which was about a month away. We kicked around a bunch of ideas. This was the first time I had heard of using honeycomb coring on a boat.

At that point they did not have a companionway design and Bill wanted to do something jazzy. John Holmes who owned the yard was building a stunt plane and was at the stage of building the canopy. The yard was littered with canopies that had not come out right and I wisecracked that I bet John had a few canopies that he could sell you cheaply. We discussed this idea for a while almost jokingly and Bill made a canopy shaped companionway for the model.

I ran into Bill after the show and he said that they had preliminary deposits on something like 50 boats.

It is my understanding that Stilettos (at least the early ones) were not epoxy but a thermoset polyester which was pre-pregged at Performance Sailcraft, as I believe the company was called. The cores on the early boats were Honeycomb. I don’t know if the later ones were as well as the honeycomb was thought to uptake moisture.

Jeff
Old 02-29-2008

bradnik is on a distinguished road
Stiletto

The boat pictured is a Stiletto, and the original prototype was built by John Holmes to the design of Bill Higgins. My brother Donald Ansley, who worked for John at the time (early '70s) actually did legwork in getting out that first boat, both lofting and then building the hull. It was built of Pre-Preg Epoxy and Nomex Honeycomb with Emron on AwlGrip paint. I believe there were over 400 of them built by Force Engineering in Sarasota.
The dimensions of the Stiletto were based on the "C" Class catamarans of Little America's Cup fame, but with extra freeboard for accomodations. The center deck could be raised and the hulls telescoped together on a custom trailer designed for that purpose. The hulls were built in a female mold with an inflatable bladder (sort of opposite of vacuum bagging) and baked in an oven to activate the epoxy. The completed boat weighed about 1000 lbs and varied only 1-2% per boat as compared to a typical HobieCat that were made with polyester and chopper guns and could vary over 8%. I sailed on the prototype and a demo boat in Miami while working for Catamarine Sailing Center in Coral Gables. It was probably the most high-tech production boat ever built.
Old 02-29-2008

I wanted to update the forum that I finally found the boat I was looking for. It is a Seawind 24' and I found a friend who had taken a photo that I was able to get the name off.

Does anybody know anything about these boats?
V/R Edward
Old 03-01-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Seawinds, IIRC, are made down in Oz. Most are sailed here to the US on their own bottoms. They're supposed to be reasonably good quality in terms of construction, but I've never been on the the 24', so I can't say for sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.