Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2008
I take sailing littorally

tarboy is on a distinguished road
A question on surveys

I'm looking at a 1981 Catalina 27. I will need to travel a thousand miles to check it out. I am planning to have the boat hauled for survey.
I have two concerns:
1. Is there a risk of collusion using a surveyor who works in the neighborhood of the marina where the boat is docked?
2. Is it necessary to take down the mast to inspect the standing rigging?
The boat appears in the photos to have been well maintained. It has a recently installed diesel engine still on warranty.
Any feedback will be very welcome.
Thank you,
Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
#1 Always, therefore pick you own surveyor, and pick him from the list of qualified and certified surveyors. Even then study up on what a proper survey should look for and don't take your eyes off 'em. Do your own at the same time and ask questions throughout. Once bought it's pretty much yours.

#2 no.
Old 02-24-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
1. YES...suggest you ask for recommendations here from members or ask broker for list of surveyors he recommends and disregard those! If no broker is involved, I would not worry about it. DO ask the surveyor if he is familiar with the Catalina 27 and has done surveys on some before.
2. NO...not for a cursory examination. Many surveyors inspect the lower rigging and use binoculars for the mast head.
Old 02-24-2008

RE: Surveyors

Thanks very much. The boat I'm considering is on Merritt Island, Florida near the Cape Canaveral canal. I have sent inquiries to 'licensed' surveyors but I wonder what agency issues said license. Can anyone here recommend a surveyor in that area who knows the Catalina 27's?
Thanks again.
Bill
Old 02-24-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
SAMS and ABYC are the two main accrediting organizations and they both have lists of surveyors by state and area available on their site. Hopefully one of the members here will chime in with a good guy in the Merrit Island FL area.
Old 02-24-2008

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
I don't know if there would be a travel chharge but you might want to get one from another town. most of the surveyors I have met travel quite a bit.
As slow as boat sales are right now I would think that they would drive a bit for free just to get the job.
We used a guy from Snead Island and its not that far from Tampa to Canaveral.
IF they wont go up the mast I wouldn't hire them.

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.

Last edited by soul searcher; 02-24-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2008

Thanks, guys. I checked the lists of surveyors in Sailnet 'Articles'. Long lists indeed!
Soul Searcher, may I ask you to E-mail to me the name and contact info for your surveyor.
Thanks,
Bill
Old 02-24-2008

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Bill, you might also ask your insurer if they work with any surveyors in the area. Insurers and loan companies are known to sometimes say "You must use one of these guys" so you might as well ask up front.

On a 1981 boat, some insurers would also say the standing rigging must be replaced--regardless of condition, simply because it is more than 20 years old. That's not just arbitrary, older rigging is more likely to surprise you. If you run a rag up the rigging (using a halyard and downhaul) and it snags anywhere, on any meathooks, that's reason to replace it. You also really want to examine the fittings aloft for cracks--and you can't really do that except up close, preferably with a dye check kit. But that you could also provide for with an escrow agreement, or hoisting the surveyor aloft. It's a short trip on a 27'er.
Old 02-24-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Here is a survey done on a Cat-27 just so you can a heads up on types of questions to ask:

http://www.blumhorst.com/catalina27/...es-deleted.pdf

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-24-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
tar,
its too far away for me to do it, but go post 3 or four times on the song thread and I'll send you a PM with some ideas

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.